Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need more help! Receiver+Speakers

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need more help! Receiver+Speakers

Old 03-04-01, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I've minimized an exceptional HT system but I want some input as to if you think it will suit.

I like the KLH HTA 9006 Speaker setup. It has an 8" powered sub and seems to have good speakers.

I'm looking at the Sherwood Newcastle RVD-6095R. I know there are better out there but this seems to have everything I need and good reviews...not to mention the lower price. I only plan on hooking up my DVD player to this so the low number of out/in spots is not a very big deal.

What do you guys think? Good or should their be improvements? Keep in mind a limited budget!

Thanks
Brent
8-)
Old 03-05-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bn64
I think I've minimized an exceptional HT system but I want some input as to if you think it will suit. I like the KLH HTA 9006 Speaker setup. It has an 8" powered sub and seems to have good speakers.
KLH are regarded as the cheapest speakers you can buy. I think they are acceptable for music/ambience if you're looking to pinch pennies, but for HT the speaker's limitations can cause listener fatigue. I heard someone's setup with a KLH center speaker like the one you're considering, and I had a hard time understanding dialogue at normal volume. It was very straining.

If you're going to skimp on speakers, I suggest you at least buy a good center speaker, even if it means skimping on the surrounds. You might be able to get a Sony or Yamaha for $100, still not great but much better. If you can find a good price on Infinity or JBL, that'd be even better.

If you're really tight, go ahead and buy the KLH system for $200 but be prepared to upgrade. (Replacing the center, then get a powered sub, then replace the mains.) It's okay to get a starter system like this, but often the cheap thrill of a cheap speaker wears out after a few weeks. Also look into the Kenwood HTB 503, which is getting good reviews and decent word of mouth, as an alternative to the system you're suggesting. For $450-500, you'll probably be much happier for a longer period of time.
Old 03-05-01, 08:35 PM

I would 2nd the Kenwood HTIAB suggested above. I have the model before this one, and it has kept me happy for over a year. however, i am now beginning to upgrade to polk, and what a difference! But for $400-500 this system is great, I don't think anything, in that price range, is any better. Personally, I don't like the sound of KLH's either, but that's not to say you don't or will think they sound better, just my personal preference.
Old 03-06-01, 02:39 PM

Only if you have to ....

should you buy a home theater in a box. These are very limited and i would avoid KLH. Buy piece by piece and set up a good system. focus on your mains and center channel.

JBL is a good brand with decent prices.
Old 03-06-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are on a tight budget, check out the JBL Northridge series. Very nice speakers for the price with great reviews. 4 N24 or N26 for your mains and surrounds, or any combo of the two and the N-Center would be a very very nice set-up on a budget. Personally I own the Studio series which is a step up with nicer cabinets and drivers (though the drivers and tweeters are similar to the N series)and have not been disappointed one bit. I was going to go with the Northridge but I had some extra money and decided to step up to the Studio. Just remember you will probably keep your speakers the longest so a better purchase in the beginning may save you money in the long run.

Above all recommendations anyone here can give you, make sure you listen to the speakers yourself. Sound is subjective and everyone has different tastes. Buy what suits your tastes and budget and you should be happy... well at least for awhile until the upgrade bug bites

J
Old 03-07-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Master J
Above all recommendations anyone here can give you, make sure you listen to the speakers yourself. Sound is subjective and everyone has different tastes. Buy what suits your tastes and budget and you should be happy... well at least for awhile until the upgrade bug bites

J
I agree. For some reason this is often overlooked.

If possible, a blind speaker audition is preferable.

Old 03-08-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KLH Speakers are not worth the box they come in.

I agree with the above posts about looking at a Home Theater in the box. You can get pretty decent sound for the money from Kenwood and JVC.