Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Philips DVD701?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-01, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried playing Disney's The Kid but got a blank screen. What I am wondering is if this model is a multiregion player. Being relatively new to the dvd world I did not know about multiregion dvd players when I purchased the machine and would like to know what other dvds I cannot play.Any help is appreciated.
By the way I live in the US and thought I could only play R1 dvds.
Old 02-26-01, 05:29 AM
Banned

It probably has something to do with the fact that you were trying to play Disney's The Kid. Most DVD players won't allow you to play this and the 1964 classic "Sherlock Holmes and the Curse of Baron Penfield".
Old 02-26-01, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your player was a multiregion player, then you'd know it because you specifically bought it that way. Although you didn't post the make/model of your player, I can safely say that it is not multi-region. (Besides, most people who buy multi-region players live outside Region 1 and bought them specifically to play Region 1 discs.) You bought the DVD player and the DVD in the US at a department store = it is almost always Region 1.

There have been some software issues with various players and movies throughout the history of DVD, I am guessing that The Kid is one of them. This happens occassionally (not that that's any excuse):
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=77095

Either return the DVD, call Disney to complain, or try the DVD on another player. Sorry you picked a title to have so much trouble with.