Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony SA-WM40 Sub....recommendation on where to set off the cut-off?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony SA-WM40 Sub....recommendation on where to set off the cut-off?

Old 02-16-01, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just got home not too long ago with a SA-WM40 Sub in my hands. I have heard so many good reviews I figured I might as well give it a shot. I have set it up and calibrated it with Avia. I have a Sony HTIB with those little Sony speakers for mains (if anyone doesn't know what these are and need a pic let me know). Where should I set the Freq. cutoff on the Sub? It ranges from 50hz to 170hz.
Another thing, I really have not "tried" the sub out a whole lot, but I did pop in the Matrix and watched the "Helicopter Scene" I don't know if it is my sub placement or what, or maybe just a bad scene to test it at but it doesn't seem as tight sounding as I thought it would be. Now I am not expecting $1000 sub quality but......I really have not heard much of a dramatic increase over my little Sony Sub that came with the HTIB. Like I said before it could be my sub placement, I have it in my only corner that I can really put it. It could be becuase I listen at movies at around 70db, but not sure.

(Here is where it is placed, but the pic is not the SA-WM40: http://members.home.net/jcarlough1/images/FrontSub1.jpg )

Thanks in advance

Old 02-17-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Make sure you break the sub in for a good 20 hours or more before you start making adjustments for sound(the sound will change as it gets used).

2. Find out what the frequency range specs are on your mains. If you mains cut off around 60Hz set your sub to 60hz and see how that sounds.

3. The best way is to keep moving it to different locations in the room at different frequency cut-offs until you are happy with the sound.

4. The sub is one of the hardest things to set up. Take your time with it. I spent many days doing this and I am still not totally satisfied.
Old 02-17-01, 12:35 AM

Well my biggest problem is I really do not have too many places to put my sub. I have the one place in the picture I put in the first post, or this place here: http://members.home.net/jcarlough1/images/Sub2.jpg .

So I really do not have many options.
Another thing, how do I find out the freq. range of my speakers? sorry.... lol
Old 02-17-01, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Nutdotnet
Well if the speakers didn't come with any sort of a user guide maybe the Sony website will show the specs on your model speakers. What is the model of your speakers?
Old 02-17-01, 12:46 AM

Well my biggest problem is I really do not have too many places to put my sub. I have the one place in the picture I put in the first post, or this place here: http://members.home.net/jcarlough1/images/Sub2.jpg .

So I really do not have many options.
Sometimes, this type of info can be found behind the speaker, but the best place is in the Owner's Manual. Look for the 'Specifications' list. Look for a frequency range. For example, 50Hz-20kHz means this speaker is able to reproduce 50Hz so set the crossover on your sub to around 50-60Hz.
Also depending on the size and type of speakers on your main L&R, you'll have to set your receiver to indicate that you've got either a 'small' or 'large' front mains. Small means it will not send low frequency signals to your mains and route it, instead, to your sub.
Old 02-17-01, 12:46 AM

Yeah....the guide I received with it has them speakers listed at a freq. range of 90hz - 20,000hz..
Old 02-17-01, 12:50 AM

Thanks guys for the fast replies. Yeah the reciever is set to small.

Oh yeah, would having the sub slightly behind the Ent. Center itself hurt?

[Edited by Nutdotnet on 02-16-01 at 10:57 PM]
Old 02-17-01, 01:07 AM

Thanks guys for the fast replies. Yeah the reciever is set to small.

Oh yeah, would having the sub slightly behind the Ent. Center itself hurt?

[Edited by Nutdotnet on 02-16-01 at 10:57 PM]
Not really because the bass wave is omnidirectional. Just keep in mind putting it in the corner will increase the "loudness" of the sub. So you are probably better off leaving it where it is. Give it a chance to break in though. I used to put a CD on replay and let it go all day.
Old 02-17-01, 10:08 AM

I too have the Sony sub and love it. (I even tested it w/ the same Matrix scene you did and was blown away)

The DVD rental store we have here in town also has the same Sony speaker/sub set up you have, and the SA-WM40 defenitely has a totally different (better) sound than that smaller sub you're showing in your pictures, so I think you need to tweak a bit more.

I think everybody is right when they say to do some experimenting with placement (I have mine angled in the corner for instance and it sounds great)

Also, are you using the LFE (sub out)RCA cable connection on your receiver to hook it to the sub? That is the BEST way to enjoy this sub.

As for cut-off of crossover, the concensus around the other forums is to set the crossover to the highest setting of 170hz and let your receiver's crossover do the work for the sub. Experiment with that and see how things sound.

Good luck!

Alfer
Old 02-17-01, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Alfer. Yeah, I ain't giving up on this sub YET, my biggest problem is that I just do not have a whole lot of room to move the sub around.

Yes I am using the RCA Sub Out from my reciever. Over at the "other forum" I was told I should use my smaller sub in conjunction with the SA-WM40......

Any other advice would be great

Thanks