Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My home theater setup questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My home theater setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-01, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question for you knowledgeable people.
This is my humble set up:

TV: Mits. WS65907
DVD: Mits. DD6000
HD/SAT: Mits. SRHD500

The rest of the system is not relevant (In case, you are interested though):

Receiver: SONY STRDA50ES
Amps: (2) Parasound HCA855
Front sp.: (2) Energy 2.3
Rear sp.: (2) Energy C8
Rear Effect sp. (2) Energy C2
Center: Energy AC300
Sub: Energy XLS10
VCR: (2) who cares
CD: who cares
and some other useless stuff.

In any event, I hope this is considered to be a decent setup.

To start, I had purchased the Tosh 6200 but when I saw the two players side by side and at what each were capable of I was more impressed with the Mits. DVD player. So I got that one.

Now, what are your comments in regards to the video set up? I've been hearing that for money the SONY 9000ES is worth it only if you need the SACD. Quite frankly, I am not, so from what people are saying, I gather that the video is pretty much the same. Actually, the SONY seems to be a little soft on the picture, which I think is probably true because I currently have the SONY 550 and while the picture is just terrific I do notice that it is a bit on the soft side.

Then, I have a question about the HD receiver. I was told that in order to not have to spend the money to purchase an adapter and special cabling for the HD receiver receiver I'd be better off investing in the Mits. receiver, which is really designed for their own TVs. I have been reading review and hearing that this unit will be awesome, but could is it necessary at that price? Were they just giving it to me or what? I hear the $500 HD/Sat RCA's could do the job but that the picture would not be as sharp and clear? Any suggestions here?

Finally, in the TV room I will have HD setup, but how does it work with the rest of the rooms where I want Sat? It's obvious that I would need receivers wherever else I want to get satellite but is it possible to watch different channels at the same time on another TV? Will I need another dish to complement this?

I guees I should have done more research about the Sat part of this but hey I panicked so oh well.

Please give me you feedback. Thanks.

Old 02-08-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First off nice setup.

Secondly I can answer 1 of your questions. If you want to be able to watch different sat channels on different TVs you do need extra receivers and your dish must have a dual LMB receiver(most do). It will also cost you extra per month on your sat service(it used to be $5).

BTW the Mits DD6000 is a Toshiba 5109. Toshiba made it for Mits. I know cuz I have a DD6000 as well. It is an excellent player and I have never had any disc problems or hardware problems.
Old 02-08-01, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the reassurance on the DVD player. As for the sattelite I'll have to do some research on that.

Anyone else have any input? Thanks.
Old 02-09-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry about this post: It's a bit tangential to the topic, but I've been considering the Mits. WS65907 TV. Do you recommend it as a monitor for DVD-only viewing? Any complaints? Any reason why I shouldn't consider the Mits. Platinum series instead (considering that I'm using it only as a monitor for a progressive-scan DVD player)?

I've heard (from Green Jello) that the Denon progressive-scan DVD player coming in the fall (not the upcoming 2800 but the second generation) will far surpass the quality of the Sony 9000ES.
Old 02-09-01, 05:06 PM

As for the Denon DVD there are mixed feelings at to the quality of the player.

In regards to the TV, it can be used for anything, the only thing is that when you watch regular TV programming that is not high def you will have to stretch the image and it really does not look great...but hey i can live with it. Non-anamorphic DVDs are okay, but they lack clarity, but still look great. Next you have an anamorphic DVD and now you're talking about a fabulous picture. Then after that, your HD...frankly this is the ultimate picture.

Now, in regards to the differences between the Diamond and Platinum series...9" CRTs, more advanced filtration system, high gloss cabinet, more inputs for video and of course the price. For me, after seeing both of them side by side, there was only TV for me. For someone else, the differences might be more subtle and not worth the extra money.

Let me tell you though, you really can't get any better, unless you go Pioneer (but IMHO, they're over-priced)!