Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-17, 06:36 AM   #1
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,291
The death of 3D TV?

One person's opinion...

https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-...68303685672683


Don't know about the validity of the argument, just saw this and thought I'd share.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 07:31 AM   #2
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,171
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Lots of discussion on this topic for the last year or two in our main 3D thread.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/595...vision-14.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 10:33 AM   #3
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,437
Re: The death of 3D TV?

I'm not really surprised. I didn't want to thread crap in the 3D thread when I read some of it the other night, but 3D fans seem so keen on blaming the industry and other factors rather then just believing that a lot of folks just don't like 3D at home or that the novelty simply wore off.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 11:20 AM   #4
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,679
Re: The death of 3D TV?

It's still available in just about every Home Theater Projector - The most legit way to watch a 3D movie imo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 11:49 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 9,927
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Indeed. The death of 3D would mean all studio and home support has been dropped. When that happens, that means the death. The article isn't an opinion, but more of a callout of the current state of 3D on televisions. Projectors are fully supporting it. TV's will more then likely begin supporting it again in a few years.
__________________
"Whoa, did Walter Goggins fuck your mother?" - Osiris3657
Perhaps he did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 12:37 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,646
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
It's still available in just about every Home Theater Projector - The most legit way to watch a 3D movie imo.
Agreed. I wasn't interested in 3D until we bought our projector. So if we had to go back to a TV at this point, I honestly don't know how much the 3D movies would be watched.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 01:05 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 23,196
Re: The death of 3D TV?

IMPE, home 3d is the best. I still buy everything I can for home media in 3d. Usually it comes with a standard BD so even if the format "dies" I can still watch it.
__________________
***DVDTALK GOLD TRADER***

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 01:25 AM   #8
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 7,318
Re: The death of 3D TV?

They can take 3D from my cold, dead hands. There's a petition (currently in my signature) to reverse at least LG's decision to drop 3D. I've panic-ordered an LG 3D TV just in case though, but will raise a huge stink about this as long as the future of 3D is in jeopardy. That Cnet writer is a total douche, he's always been crapping on 3D every chance he gets.

Quote:
I didn't want to thread crap in the 3D thread when I read some of it the other night, but 3D fans seem so keen on blaming the industry and other factors rather then just believing that a lot of folks just don't like 3D at home or that the novelty simply wore off.
The thing is that this is something we LOVE, for me it's completely reinvigorated my enthusiasm for buying movies at premium prices, and having it go away would be just like if TVs also dropped color. Sure the "novelty" wears off after watching a lot of it, but that's why not every movie is made in 3D. There's already hundreds of 3D Blu-Rays plus lots of YouTube videos in 3D, how are we going to watch those if 3D displays stop being made? It doesn't even COST very much to include 3D in most TVs, certainly no more than the "smooth motion" feature (which makes film look like video) that practically every TV has and defaults to having turned on even though no serious movie watcher should touch it with a 10-foot pole.

I'm glad projectors seem to be keeping 3D, but those alone won't support it. I looked into getting one myself but just don't have the space to set one up properly. Even if I did get one, there are FAR fewer projectors out there than traditional displays which would mean a smaller market for 3D Blu-Rays.
__________________
Tell LG Electronics not to kill home 3D!
https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...ion-reason_msg

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 05:20 AM   #9
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 7,291
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Personally, I've never cared about 3D, I've always been happy watching movies in 2D, it's just my preferred viewing style. I don't need things to jump out at me, and I don't want to wear special glasses. I've been perfectly happy with 2D, but I've never begrudged anyone for their preferences. I know that 3D has its advocates and I've never had a problem with that. It's just my preference to watch my movies in 2D. I feel the same way about 4K, just don't care about it. It took me long enough just to make the jump to blu-ray, I don't want to buy a 3rd format.
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:36 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,692
Re: The death of 3D TV?

I have a lot of 3D Blu-rays but never found a 3D HDTV that was the size I wanted and within my price range, even when we upgraded to a new tv and bought in 2015. Bummer.
__________________
Choose kindness. | PSN / EA ID: Spatula _ City | The Simpsons: Tapped Out DVDTalk Thread | Can we rally together to discuss a DVDTalk Charity Fundraiser?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 08:22 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 9,927
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Personally, I've never cared about 3D, I've always been happy watching movies in 2D, it's just my preferred viewing style. I don't need things to jump out at me, and I don't want to wear special glasses. I've been perfectly happy with 2D, but I've never begrudged anyone for their preferences. I know that 3D has its advocates and I've never had a problem with that. It's just my preference to watch my movies in 2D. I feel the same way about 4K, just don't care about it. It took me long enough just to make the jump to blu-ray, I don't want to buy a 3rd format.
I don't think even those who love 3D prefer it as their main viewing style. It's just a fun way to see a lot of movies. But glasses aren't going away, even when it more than likely returns in its next iteration in TV's in a few years.
__________________
"Whoa, did Walter Goggins fuck your mother?" - Osiris3657
Perhaps he did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 11:35 AM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,437
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
The thing is that this is something we LOVE, for me it's completely reinvigorated my enthusiasm for buying movies at premium prices, and having it go away would be just like if TVs also dropped color. Sure the "novelty" wears off after watching a lot of it, but that's why not every movie is made in 3D. There's already hundreds of 3D Blu-Rays plus lots of YouTube videos in 3D, how are we going to watch those if 3D displays stop being made? It doesn't even COST very much to include 3D in most TVs, certainly no more than the "smooth motion" feature (which makes film look like video) that practically every TV has and defaults to having turned on even though no serious movie watcher should touch it with a 10-foot pole.
I'm not sure how you loving the technology changes anything about what I said or general disinterest from general consumers.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 01:49 PM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,643
Re: The death of 3D TV?

I just became 3D capable a couple of month ago and found I like it for certain types of movie. It is expensive though... Example: I just bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for $10. The 3D version was $25. Am I going to pay $15 more? Hell no. If it were a couple of bucks more I would have grabbed it. I think the industry killed 3D with their own greed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 02:05 PM   #14
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,171
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I just became 3D capable a couple of month ago and found I like it for certain types of movie. It is expensive though... Example: I just bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for $10. The 3D version was $25. Am I going to pay $15 more? Hell no. If it were a couple of bucks more I would have grabbed it. I think the industry killed 3D with their own greed.
Patience helps. I own pretty much every 3D movie I care to own (over 100), and rarely paid more than $15.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 03:28 PM   #15
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 7,318
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Yes, the pricing premiums are ridiculous sometimes. Target last week put the 2D version of Storks on sale for $15 while the 3D is still $30. When I get those surveys on my receipts I always call them out on that.

But still, I'm not going to buy the inferior version just because it's cheaper- I'll either pay the higher price, wait for it to drop or not buy it at all. If you're going to be cheap then why not just buy the regular DVD, or illegally download it for free?
__________________
Tell LG Electronics not to kill home 3D!
https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...ion-reason_msg

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 12:09 PM   #16
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,643
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Yes, the pricing premiums are ridiculous sometimes. Target last week put the 2D version of Storks on sale for $15 while the 3D is still $30. When I get those surveys on my receipts I always call them out on that.

But still, I'm not going to buy the inferior version just because it's cheaper- I'll either pay the higher price, wait for it to drop or not buy it at all. If you're going to be cheap then why not just buy the regular DVD, or illegally download it for free?
Cheap? I prefer to think of it as smart. To answer your question, the Blu-Ray was the same price as the DVD and to be honest I almost never buy DVD anymore. I would have to really want it and it must be the only available format.

Frankly, the fact that the DVD and Blu were the same price makes the 3D price premium look even dumber than usual. Are they trying to kill the format? Sure looks like it. Maybe they need to face the fact that for most of us the 3D format disc is an extra bonus and not the factor driving the purchase. So for me, the 3D disk is worth a couple of bucks but not the crazy premium they normally ask.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 12:21 PM   #17
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,646
Re: The death of 3D TV?

I think stores are starting to phase them out as well. Target will get 3D versions of more popular movies, but after a month or so you can't find them on the shelf anywhere. And some movies (like Kubo and the Two Strings) they don't carry the 3D version at all. Walmart also completely got rid of the 3D section in stores and Best Buy cut theirs back significantly after 4K movies started coming out.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 12:53 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,065
Re: The death of 3D TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I think stores are starting to phase them out as well. Target will get 3D versions of more popular movies, but after a month or so you can't find them on the shelf anywhere. And some movies (like Kubo and the Two Strings) they don't carry the 3D version at all. Walmart also completely got rid of the 3D section in stores and Best Buy cut theirs back significantly after 4K movies started coming out.
Between that, and the lack of support on newer tvs, the death of 3d has been readily apparent for a while now. It was a niche and fad product that didn't catch on enough to make manufacturers care enough to keep it around. Of course their insane pricing on it was only part of the problem.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 01:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 294
Re: The death of 3D TV?

The main concern is if all manufacturers have a common standard for 3D TV with SAME GLASSES. If you want to watch 3D TV how many glasses can you have for others. If the glasses were the same each person can own a pair and use them at their home or friends home.

Panasonic Plasma TV had what seemed a very good 3D but that died with the demise of plasma.

I own lots of 3D movies ( 25+) and buy them with the BD+DVD bundle. So some day may decide to go 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 02:26 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 23,196
Re: The death of 3D TV?

I've used the movie theater glasses for my passive 3D sets forever.
__________________
***DVDTALK GOLD TRADER***

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0