Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

I bought the 65" E6 OLED for $2800 via ielectronica / ebay last month. Great TV. Loving the upgrade from my old Panny plasma.

The $1000 plus premium over the 55" was painful though, I'm normally a bang/buck kinda guy and I hesitated over it for quite a while.
I pretty much paid the same for my 65" OLED and the price didn't really bother me at all 'cause I paid a whole lot more for my 58" Panny plasma back in '06.
Old 04-26-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, Spears and Munsil blu ray is a good one. Kind of goes without saying, but since this is a blu ray, it'll be great for calibrating 1080p, then you can tweak the 4K parts after. I'd also look at your model on Rtings.com and try those out as well. I'm guessing it's a 2017 model, so you'll be tweaking a lot on the HDR material.
Thanks for the info. I'm already seeing that "soap opera fast" look ok THR evtrrn which I'm going to have to adjust.
Old 05-01-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you actually get the TV shipped to you?

Most of the sellers offering it that low are bait and switch stores that try to get you to spend more money. Short of getting it for $1500 and pricematching via a price rewind card, it's pretty hard to actually get one for that price.

I bought the 65" E6 OLED for $2800 via ielectronica / ebay last month. Great TV. Loving the upgrade from my old Panny plasma.

The $1000 plus premium over the 55" was painful though, I'm normally a bang/buck kinda guy and I hesitated over it for quite a while.
Sorry -- been away for a while.

So there were 3-4 sellers listing it at that price on the Google shopping tab. Joe's AV had a lot of reviews and overall like a 4.5 out of 5 rating. That's who I originally ordered from. I got a call a day or two later and originally the guy told me it would be 3-4 weeks since they were waiting on more stock. I said that was fine, I wasn't in a hurry. He then tried to tell me that I didn't really want that one because the lag issue was bad and it was the "Asian" model. I just told him to cancel it because they obviously were just being snake-oil salesman.

There was another vendor selling it for around the same price. I spoke with them and they seemed more on the up and up and were willing to do the deal but I just decided it wasn't worth the risk and I bought a new one on eBay for $1,500.
Old 05-18-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wound up getting the Sony XBR-65X900E and am extremely happy with it. The black levels for an LED TV are very impressive. The HDR is even more impressive. Finished Jessica Jones on Netflix and the difference between the standard and 4K HDR presentation is very noticeable.
Old 05-18-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I wound up getting the Sony XBR-65X900E and am extremely happy with it. The black levels for an LED TV are very impressive. The HDR is even more impressive. Finished Jessica Jones on Netflix and the difference between the standard and 4K HDR presentation is very noticeable.
I have had the 49" of the model for several weeks now and I continue to be extremely impressed with it!
Old 05-21-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

These will be up for pre-order on Amazon next week -- I may throw my hat in there and pre-order the $699 version. The P-Series. There's also a C-Series, but I've read they're less good.

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-65p607/preview/

These also have full HDR - Dolby Vision:

TCL P-Series Roku TV

Three sizes from 50 to 65 inches
Contrast Control Zone (local dimming) technology with 72 zones
Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range (HDR)
Wide Color Gamut (percentage DCI unspecified)
4K resolution
Roku TV operating system
Remote with voice search, headphone jack for private listening
Old 05-21-17, 07:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'll wait and see what the reviews have to say. But I am very curious to hear more about them.
Old 05-26-17, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
These will be up for pre-order on Amazon next week -- I may throw my hat in there and pre-order the $699 version. The P-Series. There's also a C-Series, but I've read they're less good.

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-65p607/preview/

These also have full HDR - Dolby Vision:

TCL P-Series Roku TV

Three sizes from 50 to 65 inches
Contrast Control Zone (local dimming) technology with 72 zones
Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range (HDR)
Wide Color Gamut (percentage DCI unspecified)
4K resolution
Roku TV operating system
Remote with voice search, headphone jack for private listening
Preorder is up for their 55" P series model for $599.99. Damn good price, as long as it's not garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q
Old 05-26-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

And it is already Not Available. One review so far, that seems to have gone up before it was released, and tells us nothing that isn't already in the description.
Old 05-26-17, 12:46 PM
Banned by request

This is probably why.

Pre-Order the New TCL 55" P-Series for a Special Introductory Price!

It’s almost here! The first TV to combine Dolby Vision for premium picture performance and the Roku smart platform for easy access to the most streaming content ships soon from Amazon! You can pre-order it today at a special price of $599.99 before it goes back up to its regular price of $649.99.
TCL’s P-Series delivers powerful picture performance by combining Dolby Vision, the premium HDR experience, with advanced technologies that offer superior contrast and brighter, more accurate colors. With Contrast Control Zones, contrast is individually optimized across 72 zones to achieve striking contrast between bright and dark areas of the image, providing an unrivaled sense of depth and reality.
The P-Series also comes fully equipped with the popular Roku streaming platform, giving you access to over 400,000 streaming Movies & TV Shows as well as an intuitive interface to easily connect cable, antenna, gaming consoles and other devices.
Old 05-26-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just put in the email alert.
Old 05-26-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't imagine preordering a TV like that unseen.
Old 05-26-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

This is probably why.

Pre-Order the New TCL 55" P-Series for a Special Introductory Price!

It’s almost here! The first TV to combine Dolby Vision for premium picture performance and the Roku smart platform for easy access to the most streaming content ships soon from Amazon! You can pre-order it today at a special price of $599.99 before it goes back up to its regular price of $649.99.
TCL’s P-Series delivers powerful picture performance by combining Dolby Vision, the premium HDR experience, with advanced technologies that offer superior contrast and brighter, more accurate colors. With Contrast Control Zones, contrast is individually optimized across 72 zones to achieve striking contrast between bright and dark areas of the image, providing an unrivaled sense of depth and reality.
The P-Series also comes fully equipped with the popular Roku streaming platform, giving you access to over 400,000 streaming Movies & TV Shows as well as an intuitive interface to easily connect cable, antenna, gaming consoles and other devices.
Preorder is up for their 55" P series model for $599.99. Damn good price, as long as it's not garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q
So was it not yet available for preorder?
Old 05-26-17, 04:24 PM
Banned by request

Not until today, although not sure when they'll start shipping.
Old 05-26-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
And it is already Not Available. One review so far, that seems to have gone up before it was released, and tells us nothing that isn't already in the description.
That same reviewer gave a 5 star rating to another no name brand.
Old 05-28-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's up:

Usually ships within 2 to 3 months.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Lock in that price.
Old 05-29-17, 08:14 AM
Banned by request

Nah, it's 55", I'm going to hold out for the 65" and some reviews. AVS forum has one up and it got an overall pretty good review. I'm cautiously optimistic the 65" will be the same or a little better.

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-ser...on-first-look/
Old 06-02-17, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I pretty much paid the same for my 65" OLED and the price didn't really bother me at all 'cause I paid a whole lot more for my 58" Panny plasma back in '06.
I'm loving the OLED.

I don't even really like 3D but it is fantastic on this set - enough that I picked up a couple of titles in 3D now.

Motion isn't quite up to par with my plasma - still playing a bit with the de-judder / de-blur settings - but that's something plasma excelled at.
Old 06-02-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm loving the OLED.

I don't even really like 3D but it is fantastic on this set - enough that I picked up a couple of titles in 3D now.

Motion isn't quite up to par with my plasma - still playing a bit with the de-judder / de-blur settings - but that's something plasma excelled at.
I'm sure the prices will go down even more. I'd love to put one in the bedroom. I don't watch much 3D even though I noticed I have quite a few 3D movies in my collection. I get eye strain very easily but the 3D conversions on some of the movies look great.

Check out "Legend of the Guardians-Owls of Ga'hoole" in 3D; it looks awesome.
Old 06-07-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So I got a huge surprise and my kids (well really my ex-wife) ended up getting me a combination early father's day/birthday gift and got me a LG OLED55C6P out of the blue. I had been talking about how it was my dream TV and how I wished I could get one and discussing the deals on the Slickdeals site where people were able to get it for around $1000 by price matching. I guess she came into some money from her Dad so she got me it as a thank you for being a great dad for the past 18 years to our daughter who just graduated high school and because I had been letting her use my plasma TV which I had in storage when her TV died. I was brought to tears no lie, but that isn't the point of this post.

Does anyone have any good basic settings or start up tips to get this TV to run optimally. Obviously i know this type of TV should be professional calibrated but that is not something currently an option so am just looking for a jumping off point. I have looked online and seem some basic settings but I am more interested in real users in real world situations rather than a possibly perfect review version only TV in a professional lab.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
So I got a huge surprise and my kids (well really my ex-wife) ended up getting me a combination early father's day/birthday gift and got me a LG OLED55C6P out of the blue. I had been talking about how it was my dream TV and how I wished I could get one and discussing the deals on the Slickdeals site where people were able to get it for around $1000 by price matching. I guess she came into some money from her Dad so she got me it as a thank you for being a great dad for the past 18 years to our daughter who just graduated high school and because I had been letting her use my plasma TV which I had in storage when her TV died. I was brought to tears no lie, but that isn't the point of this post.

Thanks!
I don't have much to add, but knowing your situation from the other thread in Other I just wanted to say congrats. Hope it's a string of other positives for you
Old 06-07-17, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone have any good basic settings or start up tips to get this TV to run optimally. Obviously i know this type of TV should be professional calibrated but that is not something currently an option so am just looking for a jumping off point. I have looked online and seem some basic settings but I am more interested in real users in real world situations rather than a possibly perfect review version only TV in a professional lab.

Thanks!
That's cool. Congrats. Get a 4K player to go along with it. As for settings; there's a link on one of the previous pages for settings. I've tried it and tweeked the picture to my liking. I don't really think it needs professional calibration but that's just me.
Old 06-08-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't have much to add, but knowing your situation from the other thread in Other I just wanted to say congrats. Hope it's a string of other positives for you
Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I will say I hope so too!
Old 06-08-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
That's cool. Congrats. Get a 4K player to go along with it. As for settings; there's a link on one of the previous pages for settings. I've tried it and tweeked the picture to my liking. I don't really think it needs professional calibration but that's just me.
Oh duh, I should have gone back and re-read the thread. I am an idiot, thanks for the reminder.

Any recommendations on a 4K player?
Old 06-08-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!
Dig around for the Tru Motion custom settings and turn that shit down, ASAP. Unless you like the soap opera effect.

I'm on dejudder 1 deblur 9 or something like that right now.

From what I gathered, ISF Dark Room preset is the most accurate base level to start with.

If you do any gaming, use Game Mode for games. The input lag is atrocious without it on. I've got a separate HDMI preset for gaming. Use both outputs from my Onkyo, so I have an Xbox gaming input and an Xbox movie input (using Xbox One S for UHD discs as it was a cheap upgrade).

Some default settings on this AVSforum thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-b6.html

I haven't had time to properly calibrate it (have some test patterns on a USB) but I've dialed in a halfway decent picture at this point.

Also, for some reason the TV frequently says it is up to date via internet updating, but isn't. A lot of times for the latest firmware you'll have to download the firmware manually from LG's site and install via usb.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-08-17 at 10:43 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.