Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Western Digital and Hard Drive Player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-20-16, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using WD HD player for years and it is a wonderful device. HDMI jack and all. Plays anything you throw at it including MOV, VOB, MP3 files.

Western digital does not make these any more

Have some questions

1. The current player only reads up to 2 TB hard drive - Are there ways for it to recognize larger hard drives ( 3 or 4 TB )
2. Are there any other alternate players that would work similarly
3. Only care about direct USB connection - don't really care about wifi and streaming etc - though if that is the only option would think about it.

( I also have Micca - same 2TB limits )

Any suggestion - Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Western Digital and Hard Drive Player

Hmmmm ....

My previous wdtv device could read an entire 4TB external drive, without any firmware upgrades.
Old 12-20-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman2
Western digital does not make these any more

2. Are there any other alternate players that would work similarly

Any suggestion - Thanks in advance
(With that being said).
(On a rambling tangent).

My previous wdtv device died more than a year ago. When I looked around locally, I couldn't immediately find another one. I also didn't want to buy a used/reconditioned one either.

At the time, I ended up just buying a new entry level computer for around $200, which is connected to my large hd screen via hdmi. I usually just copy the relevant videos to the computer's hard drive from my 4TB hard drives, and use VLC to watch them.
Old 12-20-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Hmmmm ....

My previous wdtv device could read an entire 4TB external drive, without any firmware upgrades.
I still have the original WD TV Live model & the Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (WDBHG70000NBK-01). I have not used them for a few years now. But I know the WDBHG70000NBK-01 model also played 4TB external drives.

I tried to give both of these away a few years ago to some older female friends so they could watch K-Dramas episodes off of a HD. Instead of me having to burn the episodes to a dvd-/+r. But they decided not to take them since it would be hard for them to learn how to use the devices.

Last year I brought 5 Google Nexus players from Target real cheap. Gave them all the way to family gifts. My SNL who lives in the same house uses Plex to stream off of my movie collection.