Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with Audio setup (BD + AVR + Preamp/Amp)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-03-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I currently have my speakers connected to my Amp, and my SACD player connected to the Pre-amp (using analog outputs - no HDMI)... and obviously my pre-amp is connected to my amp.

My A/V Receiver doesn't have an HDMI.

How do I hook up my BD player to my A/V Receiver and then pass it through my pre-amp so it gets to my amp?

I figure BD hooks up to my TV via HDMI.
Optical out from my TV to my A/V Receivers Optical In.

Now from there, how do I hook up my A/V Receiver to my pre-amp without optical or HDMI?
Old 09-08-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Need help with Audio setup (BD + AVR + Preamp/Amp)

Originally Posted by Coral
I currently have my speakers connected to my Amp, and my SACD player connected to the Pre-amp (using analog outputs - no HDMI)... and obviously my pre-amp is connected to my amp.

My A/V Receiver doesn't have an HDMI.

How do I hook up my BD player to my A/V Receiver and then pass it through my pre-amp so it gets to my amp?

I figure BD hooks up to my TV via HDMI.
Optical out from my TV to my A/V Receivers Optical In.

Now from there, how do I hook up my A/V Receiver to my pre-amp without optical or HDMI?
This is something that happens way too often around here. What's the point in taking the time to ask a question just to not come back to check or just ignore the replies?

So you have an amp, a pre-amp, & a receiver??
I can't answer your question but I thought the point of using an amp/pre-amp is to take the place of using a receiver. Your setup sounds overly complicated.
My advice is to upgrade your receiver to one which has HDMI inputs (which is all of them these days) then run everything directly to it via HDMI then use a single HDMI cable outputting the video signal from your receiver to your TV. You mentioned the SACD player does not have HDMI, so that would be your only problem.

Last edited by JZ1276; 09-19-16 at 12:43 AM.