Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVDs look horrible on new 65" Vizio HDTV. Why?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVDs look horrible on new 65" Vizio HDTV. Why?

Old 07-26-16, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVDs look horrible on new 65" Vizio HDTV. Why?

Originally Posted by cydeweyz
Rtings.com review of the new P series Vizio says they have poor upscaling performance. Maybe that's a trend with older model Vizios as well.
If he has his player set to 1080, then his player is doing the upscaling, not the TV.
Old 07-26-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
do you have that annoying soap opera effect (aka TruMotion, AutoMotion) turned on (usually the default with new TV's) that is somehow making the limited DVD picture look extra shitty?
My first thought was that they had that effect turned on on their OLD t.v., and don't have it turned on on this t.v.

"When we first got the Hitachi and played DVDs on it on our up-scaling Toshiba DVD player, they were so clear and defined that it felt like we were watching a live play or were actually there during the filming."

Live play? Actually there? Sounds like the motion enhancement stuff...
Old 07-27-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by cgray
My first thought was that they had that effect turned on on their OLD t.v., and don't have it turned on on this t.v.

"When we first got the Hitachi and played DVDs on it on our up-scaling Toshiba DVD player, they were so clear and defined that it felt like we were watching a live play or were actually there during the filming."

Live play? Actually there? Sounds like the motion enhancement stuff...
That's quite possible. I recently, finally, upgraded to a HDTV and the first thing I did was disable this "feature." I then found some DVDs that looked horrible (grainy, noisy, etc.), which was surprising as they were "newer" TV programs, made in the "digital age" (one was Chuck), I would have thought would look very good, even on DVD. So... I turned that "feature" back on and watched again. Wow... surprise! It made those programs look "good" again. So I now turn it on depending on if I feel the source could possibly benefit from it being on. But I also turn it off once that DVD/movie has finished so it doesn't "ruin" others which do not need it.
Old 07-27-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's quite possible. I recently, finally, upgraded to a HDTV and the first thing I did was disable this "feature." I then found some DVDs that looked horrible (grainy, noisy, etc.), which was surprising as they were "newer" TV programs, made in the "digital age" (one was Chuck), I would have thought would look very good, even on DVD. So... I turned that "feature" back on and watched again. Wow... surprise! It made those programs look "good" again. So I now turn it on depending on if I feel the source could possibly benefit from it being on. But I also turn it off once that DVD/movie has finished so it doesn't "ruin" others which do not need it.
I seem to remember there being issues with picture quality on the release of some of the seasons of Chuck. Perhaps it was the blue rays though.

But that is interesting that on some titles that "feature" would make the picture significantly better, while some it makes the picture significantly worse.