Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Vizio TV Internet Apps Plus?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-06-16, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Is there a complete listing of all of their apps anywhere online?
Old 02-06-16, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Vizio TV Internet Apps Plus?

You can Google Yahok Smart TV apps. Of just click the Vizio button on your remote and go to the Yahoo Apps Store. At the top you can select to view all apps. I have 3 Vizio smart TV's, and personally I hate that they use Yahoo for their apps. Not crazy about Vizio either, but lesson learned.
Old 02-06-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have a Vizio TV. I housesat for them a couple of months ago and I didn't care much for the TV.
Old 02-07-16, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As of yet,I haven't purchased the tv. It will be going in the bedroom.

Just wondering about the apps.
Does it have one for Watch ESPN? Dailymotion?

Is the YouTube app better than the Roku app?

Which apps are better and worse than the Roku app's?

MLB.tv?

NHL.tv?

NFL Game Pass?

NBA League Pass Enabled?
Old 02-07-16, 08:23 AM
Banned by request

No to just about all of the sports. Honestly, look into LG or some other kind of smart TV and use the Roku. The TV apps are not optimized for fast playing. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it started. In addition, the pickings of the apps are really poor. But I use only YouTube, Amazon, and Vudu 95% of the time.

But in my 6+ months of use of my two main TV's, I've had to have 2 of my TV's replaced. One had a bad board the buzzed a lot, and my 4K TV had a dead row of pixels. And I forgot the name of the brands, but there are a couple that have Roku installed into the televisions. Those are supposed to run pretty good.
Old 02-07-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only looking too spend about 200 dollars on a bedroom tv.
Old 02-07-16, 08:30 AM
Banned by request

My suggestion is nix any kind of smart TV and get a regular one and stick a Roku on it. It'll be way faster and you'll have all the channels you want.
Old 02-07-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Plus Smart TV is just another platform to support. As an example, Crunchyroll basically pulled the plug on Samsung Smart TV... one day it was working, the next it was not. And they have a WiiU app for crying out loud. Much easier to replace a roku if it somehow gets outdated than your TV (though people replace their TV like it's nothing these days as well)
Old 02-07-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The TV I'm replacing is so old that the Detroit Lions actually won a playoff game during it's lifetime.

I have another TV that needs replacing that was purchased the year the Detroit Lions last won a playoff game.
Old 02-08-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I've found that apps in anything other than a dedicated app box (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast etc) are somewhat lacking. The Netflix app built in to my Tivo is much slower than the Netflix app on my Roku 3. I also don't know if apps in non dedicated boxes can be updated or not.
Old 02-08-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to get an 28 inch Samsung Smart TV with web browser. I needed back up for my internet should something happen to my laptop.
Old 02-08-16, 04:09 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I'd recommend one of the TCL Roku TVs. The 28-inch and 32-inch models are in the $160-$180 range.

I've got the 40-inch model in my bedroom, and I love it. It operates just like a regular Roku with all the apps. The picture looks nice and the sound quality is pretty decent. I think it's the perfect bedroom TV.
Old 02-09-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'd recommend one of the TCL Roku TVs. The 28-inch and 32-inch models are in the $160-$180 range.

I've got the 40-inch model in my bedroom, and I love it. It operates just like a regular Roku with all the apps. The picture looks nice and the sound quality is pretty decent. I think it's the perfect bedroom TV.
How are those Roku TVs set up? Is it like they just shoved an actual Roku unit inside the V meaning you get the exact same functionality as a standalone roku? Not locked down the way some of the Smart Tvs are?
Old 02-09-16, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
How are those Roku TVs set up? Is it like they just shoved an actual Roku unit inside the V meaning you get the exact same functionality as a standalone roku? Not locked down the way some of the Smart Tvs are?
It's just like my Roku 3. It has all the same channels (except the games).

I love that it goes straight to the Roku menu when you turn it on. The inputs (Cable, DVD, etc) are at the top of the menu, and you can remove them if you don't use them. I don't have anything plugged into it. I just use the Roku features.

There's a few minor drawbacks. When I first got the TV (last year), it didn't have the Disney apps. But those were added a few months later. Also, It's lower down on the list to get the latest firmware. It was just recently upgraded to the 7.0 firmware. So that may affect a few apps. But I didn't even notice it.

It's slightly slower (a few milliseconds) but I think that's due to the remote. It uses an IR remote (like on my Roku 2XS) instead of the Roku 3's WiFi Direct remote which is superfast. It's barely noticeable. But if you're used both remotes, you'll know what I mean.
Old 02-10-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's just like my Roku 3. It has all the same channels (except the games).

I love that it goes straight to the Roku menu when you turn it on. The inputs (Cable, DVD, etc) are at the top of the menu, and you can remove them if you don't use them. I don't have anything plugged into it. I just use the Roku features.

There's a few minor drawbacks. When I first got the TV (last year), it didn't have the Disney apps. But those were added a few months later. Also, It's lower down on the list to get the latest firmware. It was just recently upgraded to the 7.0 firmware. So that may affect a few apps. But I didn't even notice it.

It's slightly slower (a few milliseconds) but I think that's due to the remote. It uses an IR remote (like on my Roku 2XS) instead of the Roku 3's WiFi Direct remote which is superfast. It's barely noticeable. But if you're used both remotes, you'll know what I mean.
Sounds like it is more of a Roku with a built in TV. Does it pull apps from the same app store as the set top boxes? Your description makes it seem like a very seemless integration of tech, which is refreshing to see. Too often when you combine two pieces of tech, the second item is often only an afterthought.
Old 02-10-16, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Sounds like it is more of a Roku with a built in TV. Does it pull apps from the same app store as the set top boxes? Your description makes it seem like a very seemless integration of tech, which is refreshing to see. Too often when you combine two pieces of tech, the second item is often only an afterthought.
Yes, it's got the Roku Channel Store. The menu is identical. There's a few additional features and settings, since it's also a TV.

Here's a short video review:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jmenD34b8oQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He mentioned that the video quality wasn't as good as other TVs. I agree that it's not as good as other TVs that cost 2-3 times as much. And if I was buying a home theater TV, I'd probably pay extra and get something better with a separate Roku box.

But it's a perfect bedroom TV. I don't need a reference quality picture. And I don't want to spend $500-$800. I think it looks just fine. And I thought I might need a soundbar, but the audio is fine too.
Old 02-10-16, 10:04 AM

In that review, he also mentioned that there's no ethernet port. I just use WiFi which works fine for me.

But some people have used a USB/Ethernet dongle to get a wired connection. In the Roku Forum, one of the tech guys recommended the Belkin adapter which runs around $20 at Amazon.
Old 02-11-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks good. Seems like a real good, inexpensive option for a bedroom TV. I like how it has the television options as "apps" within the Roku. Makes it much more streamlined.
Old 03-02-16, 10:08 PM
Banned by request

I guess this is more just an FYI for anyone interested, but there's a 50" TCL for $350 on Amazon. This is a 2015 model that has Roku in it.

http://www.amazon.com/TCL-50FS3800-5...ords=TCL+50%22
Old 03-03-16, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking to buy a 40 inch model but for only a few dollars more I can get the 50 inch model.

I'm just wondering how many apps it has for it's Smart TV function. I just bought a Samsung model a few weeks ago and only has a handful of apps.
Old 03-03-16, 06:38 AM
Banned by request

It has Roku installed, so about as many as Roku.
Old 03-03-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a Smart TV can it download video's because the Samsung I just bought is useless in that category?

I have NWA Classics 24/7 and Minor League Baseball TV(neither which is available on Roku). Will I be able to download those using the Smart tv function?
Old 03-03-16, 08:09 AM
Banned by request

You may have to check the TV model instructions and see what it was to offer. If the Samsung provides that to you and that's what you want on your TV, then go that route. But I'm not familiar with TCL, so it may or may not fit your needs.
Old 03-03-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought that Smart TV meant full internet access but it doesn't look that way.
Old 03-03-16, 09:47 AM
Banned by request

Smart TV usually means it has widgets/apps, not really a web browser. Again, I'd look the models you are interested in and check the specs and instructions to see if a browser may be included.