Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Sub For $1000

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-00, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend that's ready to put a sub in his HT but really knows nothing about such things. He told me that he would be willing to go as high as $1000. Size is not an issue. I am basically looking for a sub that is accurate in both music and HT. I am leaning towards the NHT Sub Two but the more suggestions the better. He told me that oredering online is not a problem so I think that will be my best bet since I will most likely get a better deal online. If you could provide any sites that are reasonable in both customer service and price it would be very helpful. Thanx in advance.

P.S. I am not interested in HSU or SVT subs
Old 11-15-00, 08:26 PM

I would look at the Mirage BPS-400.It has fantastic slam for hometheater and it blends perfect for music as well.I know you are not interested,but I just bought a pair of SVS 20-39`s tuned to 18Hz and they left my Mirage BPS-400 in the dust.I think the only way you can do better for $1000.00 is a DIY.
Old 11-15-00, 09:00 PM

Don't know how handy you are, but you can make a hell of a sub for a lot less than a grand if you build it your self. Check out Patman's photos of his sonosub it's awesome.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 11-15-00, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hello, someone mention my name? Here's the link to my DIY sub. I will have 2 other DIY subs done by next week if my drivers show up, and both of their construction will also be documented with their own webpages.

Here's the link for SVS Subwoofers. These are very nice subs for the money, but they are back-logged due to their awesome price/performance ratio.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 11-15-00, 10:34 PM

I thought I was clear in my post about not wanting HSU or SVS (I thought it was SVT my mistake there) . My friend is the one with this money for this sub so there is no way in hell I have the time to do it for him and like I said he knows nothing about this stuff. I want an out of the box sub for him which requires very little of my intervention. I am looking for information about subs in the $1000 range like Velodyne, B&K, PSB, Sunfire, NHT, etc...Sorry for the confusion.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old 11-16-00, 03:15 PM

For the price, one of the best sub's you can get is a Velodyne. I currently run the FSR-12 in my bedroom HT and the HGS-15 in my living room HT. Velodyne is one of the best manufacturers of subs because that is their main business. I purchased my FSR-12 for $600 and my HGS-15 for $1800 online. The FSR kicks out 275 watts and the HGS an amazing 3000 watts! The best thing about these subs is their low distortion. They are built with a servo amplification unit that samples the signal up a few thousand times a second to virtually eliminate any "bottoming out" or noise from the driver. For $1000, I would actually buy a pair of the CT series, or, if you could find them, a pair of the FSR series. But stay away from the VA series as these were subs specifically made to be sold at Circuit City and are not as well made. But overall, the only way to go is Velodyne.
http://www.velodyne.com

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 11-17-00, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want the best go M&K! They cost a bit more, but you can find one used for about that much and they will blow the crap our of anything else. Tight, musical, low, they'll make you lose bowel control. Try audioreview, there's usually a couple there. The THX500 is sweet...
Old 11-17-00, 05:26 AM

I would suggest getting the Widescreen Review Subwoofer Edition and see the test results of all the subs mentioned except the SVS models(they are new).Since you do not want the SVS or HSU,I would srongly recommend the Mirage BPS-400 or the Paradigm 2200.
Old 12-08-00, 12:13 PM

Just curious as to why you are ruling out what are reputed to be two of the best subs (SVS and HSU) in your target price category?
Old 12-08-00, 12:47 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brilon:
I would look at the Mirage BPS-400.It has fantastic slam for hometheater and it blends perfect for music as well.
<HR>

brilon, beat me to it.

Mirage's bi-polar subs are amazing. The
BPS-400 is a killer unit.

Old 12-08-00, 12:52 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brilon:
I would suggest getting the Widescreen Review Subwoofer Edition<HR>

What's the scoop on this sub issue? Can you
give us the models tested and their scores/ranking?