DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is home 3D dead ?

Old 09-29-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Is home 3D dead ?

Originally Posted by Draven
Agreed.

I always get hung up on the fact that I am always aware I'm watching a movie in "3D" - between the glasses and how the image is not actually 3D, but appear to be 2D cutouts on a 3D plane, I've never understood the point.

It makes perfect sense to have grown in popularity when movies themselves were more of an event, but it makes zero sense for it to be popular now.
Thats exactly why it is being pushed now. It's extra money for the studios when ticket prices are higher, and home video prices are higher. With theater audiences lower, and media sales lagging, whatever they can do to boost revenue.
Old 10-05-15, 02:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

if TV's with 3D and the 3D medium is dying, then why do they keep selling movies with the 3D format?
Old 10-05-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
if TV's with 3D and the 3D medium is dying, then why do they keep selling movies with the 3D format?
Because it's not completely dead and they can sell those releases with an upcharge.
Old 10-05-15, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Like Age of Ultron 3D being upcharged to $19.99.
Old 10-05-15, 06:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
yeah, that is very reasonable for a 3D combo...
Old 10-05-15, 06:34 PM
Banned by request

And for the most part, they do drop in price from time to time. As long as it's within reason, I don't mind the wait.
Old 10-05-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Target and Amazon both had it for $17.99 (target even cheaper with cartwheel and a preorder deal where you got a free $5 gift card).
Old 10-06-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but 3D is pretty massive in China, which is another reason not to fear for its obsolescence just yet, or treat it like the short-lived gimmick it truly was during it's revival in the 80's (mind you, a lot of films from that run would be exceedingly well-served on 3D Blu-ray). In fact, many new blockbuster-y Asian movies -- such as the recent SPL 2 -- receive 3D conversions specifically for the mainland market alone, while other Asian countries get either both formats or just 2D until the home video release. And 3D Hollywood movies always seem to perform exceptionally well there (which probably explains why Hong Kong distributors release 3D Blu-rays that we don't necessarily get over here, such as certain recent Disney movies, similar to how those are increasingly available in Europe but not here).

It goes without saying (although several folks have already) that 3D isn't a necessity for anyone to enjoy a good story, compelling performances or the overall craft that goes into filmmaking, but if a movie is released theatrically with that option, I also want it available to me at home in addition to the 2D version. I have zero problem with the passive glasses (active glasses do cause eye strain, almost by default) or the reduced resolution, and I honestly haven't seen any "2D cutout effect" worth grousing about in a 3D Blu-ray in ages now, and I buy most of them.

Weirdly enough, the most impressive pop-out 3D effects I've seen so far (rather than the standard depth effect of most newer movies) were in the recent 3D archive restoration of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE, most notably a bit where a showgirl kicks her leg at the camera and it truly pops some distance into the room while maintaining its visual integrity (no double image, etc), as well as in some of the shorts on the 3D ARCHIVES disc (which is a lot of fun). I'm eager to get my hands on the recently restored version of 1961 horror show THE MASK (which I saw at this year's TIFF and which looks phenomenal) and the upcoming COMIN' AT YA (and also TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS if they ever bother to do it). Schlocky as these kinds of films may be, they're important historically and they often employed 3D to its most guiltily enjoyable effect by simply hurling things off the screen, and it'll be nice to own them in proper 3D at long last.
Old 10-06-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When the regular release is 17.99, 19.99 is an upcharge.
Old 10-06-15, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Well of course. And based on my extensive calculations using my fingers, toes, and an abacus, it comes out to $2 more. So yeah, an upcharge - of $2, which is nothing really when in the past they've been upcharged from $19.99 to $24.99, and in many cases $29.99 and $34.99. Those are real upcharges.
Old 10-06-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Well of course. And based on my extensive calculations using my fingers, toes, and an abacus, it comes out to $2 more. So yeah, an upcharge - of $2, which is nothing really when in the past they've been upcharged from $19.99 to $24.99, and in many cases $29.99 and $34.99. Those are real upcharges.
As stated earlier 3D version is the same price at multiple retailers and even cheaper than the non 3d version if you know the deals.
Old 10-06-15, 10:15 PM
Banned by request

Right, but I was referring to 3D sets overall compared to the 2D ones. But anytime the 3D is cheaper than the 2D, that will always guarantee me buying it. But I know a lot of people on the forum will pay the additional few bucks to avoid "those useless 3D discs".
Old 10-07-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My point was that generally 3D releases are more expensive then 2D. I'm sure there are examples and deals to work around that, but I wouldn't think there would be a debate over that generalization.

I just buy whatever is cheaper myself and have a handful of 3D versions that I never use because of price.
Old 10-07-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Surprised you needed so much help to do that simple calculation. An upcharge is an upcharge. Whether it is $2 or 5 or 10. What happens when this goes off sale? That upcharge increases.

Right, but I was referring to 3D sets overall compared to the 2D ones. But anytime the 3D is cheaper than the 2D, that will always guarantee me buying it. But I know a lot of people on the forum will pay the additional few bucks to avoid "those useless 3D discs".
That would be silly. You just buy the cheaper version, and if it contains a useless 3d disc you either throw it away or sell it to some sap.
Old 10-07-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Or wait until you actually get 3D equipment and be glad you have it then.
Old 10-07-15, 04:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen great 3D presentations, and I own some 3D Blu-rays at home. I have two pairs of active 3D glasses for my TV and I specifically upgraded my BD player and receiver to be able to view 3D (I was reviewing discs at the time and wanted to be able to review 3D titles). I can't remember the last 3D movie I watched at home. There's not enough good content to make it really worthwhile.

By far the best 3D films I've seen have been How To Train Your Dragon, Hugo, and Dredd. Other than that, the 3D I've seen has ranged from decent to terrible. It's a terrible ratio. 3D is very difficult to pull off well, certainly more so than a surround sound mix.

And for the people who think 3D is just the same as going from silents to talkies or B&W to color, or mono/stereo to surround sound, you seem to be missing on vital fact: All of those progressions in technology were widely accepted by the movie going public. Audiences went wild for sound and color and surround sound. All of those technologies made film more immersive, more entertaining. 3D is much more contentious. Lots of people have problems viewing it, or dislike the glasses, or just dislike the end result of the 3D image.

I'll give you an example. My wife and I went to see Jurassic World. I had read on here that the 3D was really good and was worth seeing, so I suggested we see the 3D showing. My wife was adamant about seeing it in 2D, finally only acquiescing because the 3D showing was sooner than the 2D. That's the average response to 3D at this point. When Avatar did it, everyone was amazed, and overnight a glut of bad conversions killed the experience for most people. Combine that with the added cost of the ticket and it's simply not an attractive option. 3D doesn't hurt my wife's eyes or head, she simply does not enjoy it most of the time (she did end up enjoying the 3D in Jurassic World FWIW).

The only way 3D will really be successful is if they manage to create a glasses-less version that works for at least 80% of the viewing angles that 2D works on. Then they have to stop pricing the showings differently and finally directors have to understand how to compose intelligently for 3D. It's not a simple process and there's no guarantees it will become the dominant viewing format anyway.
Old 10-07-15, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh and fuck 3D video games. 3D movies have never caused me any physical discomfort, either at home or at a theater, but I had a headache within minutes of playing a 3D video game. I assume that VR is in 3D but they use displays with very high frame rates, so I'm guessing they're a lot better.