Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is home 3D dead ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Is home 3D dead ?

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Been there, done that. Learn to internet? I didn't know my 11 year old daughter was using your handle on here.
You should probably try again then, took me about 20 seconds to find plenty. Perhaps consult with the daughter.

And I just checked LG and they had about 30 that that fit your specs. I am not doing anymore tv research for you though.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 09-07-15 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 06:35 PM
Needs to contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3D is vital to movies. Frankly, 3D is the only way to watch movies. I couldn't go back to watching a 2D TV, and I think the public will agree with me on that eventually.

This may be a bold prediction, but I bet that in 30 years, all movies and TV will be in 3D. It just takes time for the public to become accustomed to it.
Old 09-21-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That would sort of be nice, but on the other hand 3D wouldn't be as "special" if EVERYTHING was in 3D. Not everything is even shot in color, as some filmmakers feel black and white works better in some cases.

2D showings of 3D movies in theaters certainly need to stop though, and 2D editions at home (for people without 3D equipment) should carry the same stigma as the "Full Screen" releases did- they need to clearly state that they are not presenting the movie in its full form.
Old 09-21-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That would sort of be nice, but on the other hand 3D wouldn't be as "special" if EVERYTHING was in 3D. Not everything is even shot in color, as some filmmakers feel black and white works better in some cases.

2D showings of 3D movies in theaters certainly need to stop though, and 2D editions at home (for people without 3D equipment) should carry the same stigma as the "Full Screen" releases did- they need to clearly state that they are not presenting the movie in its full form.
I think there are a lot of people that siply can't watch 3D due to health reasons.
Old 09-22-15, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

I think if all movies were in 3D, that would make it MORE special. Think how, in color movies, filmmakers have played with color to create ever-more expanding palettes and effects to enhance the movie experience. This would happen in 3D too, if it were ubiquitous.

Only when all movies are in 3D will movies be fully realized as a true entertainment form.
Old 09-23-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Joyce
3D is vital to movies. Frankly, 3D is the only way to watch movies. I couldn't go back to watching a 2D TV, and I think the public will agree with me on that eventually.

This may be a bold prediction, but I bet that in 30 years, all movies and TV will be in 3D. It just takes time for the public to become accustomed to it.
Huh? You must not watch alot of movies then. As the vast majority of movie content is still in "2d". Very little is labeled as "3d" and even less is actually in "3d".
Old 09-23-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Huh? You must not watch alot of movies then. As the vast majority of movie content is still in "2d". Very little is labeled as "3d" and even less is actually in "3d".

Yes, but 3D and IMAX seem to provide a tiered pricing structure for tickets where they get to charge more for big special effects movies that cost more to make.
Old 09-23-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Which is a bad thing, because they also charge extra for smaller 3D movies like Step Up and people don't want to pay premium prices for that.
Old 09-24-15, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

He did say in 30 years. A lot can change in 30 years.
Old 09-24-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My mind is open, but I have yet to see a 3D presentation which enhanced the story. If it's not there to do that, IMO it's just superfluous. I don't need to see shit flying at me to appreciate what's happening in a scene. I also don't care about how deep the background looks.

I am 41 and I understand I do not represent the future at this point. Maybe future generations will require that immersion just to get into a movie. But for me, 2D will always be the way I want to see a film.
Old 09-24-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, but 3D and IMAX seem to provide a tiered pricing structure for tickets where they get to charge more for big special effects movies that cost more to make.
Yes. They do charge much more for tickets to a "3d" showing. Seems to be a big deterrent for many moviegoers.
Old 09-24-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bsmith
He did say in 30 years. A lot can change in 30 years.
I was more referring to the first half of his statement:

Originally Posted by Don Joyce
3D is vital to movies. Frankly, 3D is the only way to watch movies. I couldn't go back to watching a 2D TV, and I think the public will agree with me on that eventually..
If 3d is "vital to movies" and "the only way to watch movies" he must not watch alot of movies.
Old 09-24-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't imagine 3D will enjoy another rise in popularity within the next 30 years to become common. It already peaked and interest declined rapidly in the last few years. I'm not sure what kind of new leap in technology would overcome the general issues people already had with it, let alone for the masses to consider it "vital" for movie viewing.
Old 09-24-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
My mind is open, but I have yet to see a 3D presentation which enhanced the story. If it's not there to do that, IMO it's just superfluous. I don't need to see shit flying at me to appreciate what's happening in a scene. I also don't care about how deep the background looks.

I am 41 and I understand I do not represent the future at this point. Maybe future generations will require that immersion just to get into a movie. But for me, 2D will always be the way I want to see a film.
I'm a very big fan of 3D movies and have in my collection over 75 movies. With that said, I actually agree with you about 3D not being needed (in almost all cases) to tell "the story."

Going further, is Dolby Atmos and DTX:X going to be needed for movies as they are now being rolled out for home theater consumption? My answer would be the same--not needed to the tell "the story."

Yet, I love 3D movies and Dolby Atmos movies for the experience that they bring to my home theater. I'm also a tremendous fan of old black and white, mono movies from the 1930s and 40s and enjoy watching them no matter how poorly they have been mastered.

I'm just saying that there's a place in the entertainment world for all these types of movies and it gets tiresome to hear people who wish that 3D video or 3D sound would not be included in the releases of movies.

(I'm not a big fan of kung fu/martial arts, but I would never say we shouldn't have more of them released to the marketplace.)
Old 09-24-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I can't imagine 3D will enjoy another rise in popularity within the next 30 years to become common. It already peaked and interest declined rapidly in the last few years. I'm not sure what kind of new leap in technology would overcome the general issues people already had with it, let alone for the masses to consider it "vital" for movie viewing.
The leap in technology would be actually shooting films in 3D. It seems there have only been a handful of modern films shot using 3D cameras. The rest are 2D conversions or CGI cartoons. Life of Pi, Avatar, and Hugo were jaw dropping experiences where the 3D was used to enhance the story. But the cash-grab conversions have completely destroyed the public's perception of 3D.

My hope is that 3D will stick around, but only used when they are willing & able to use it properly. Not just convert the latest superhero flick for the sole purpose of jacking up ticket prices.
Old 09-24-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Does anyone still do passive 3D besides LG? I'm thinking maybe I need to grab one of these 4K/3D TV's before the technology disappears altogether. Which is a shame because we're finally able to get 1080p with passive 3D & nobody is making the hardware.

It does look like 3D is still pretty healthy in projectors though. I was looking for a new one & the majority of them seem to do 3D. Though it's active & you need the shuttle glasses.
I certainly wish home projectors would do passive. That would be sweet. Active glasses are a fortune and you always got to keep them charged.
Old 09-25-15, 12:51 AM

My mind is open, but I have yet to see a 3D presentation which enhanced the story.
"How to Train Your Dragon" was truly enhanced by the 3D in very meaningful ways. I believe that the story and the excitement was plussed by the 3D. I saw it both ways in the theater, and definitely concluded that 3D made a significant difference in my immersion and involvement with the story and the characters' plight.
Old 09-25-15, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
The leap in technology would be actually shooting films in 3D. It seems there have only been a handful of modern films shot using 3D cameras. The rest are 2D conversions or CGI cartoons. Life of Pi, Avatar, and Hugo were jaw dropping experiences where the 3D was used to enhance the story. But the cash-grab conversions have completely destroyed the public's perception of 3D.

My hope is that 3D will stick around, but only used when they are willing & able to use it properly. Not just convert the latest superhero flick for the sole purpose of jacking up ticket prices.
Personally I don't see that as a big enough leap to win over the general audience, even if all 3D movies were like that from the get go. Especially to consider it "vital" opposed to just a nice to have.
Old 09-27-15, 06:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

i'm gonna single handedly bring 3D back. i love it! now, 2 TVs strong...
Old 09-27-15, 07:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If I had a decent room that was dark enough for a projector, I'd be all about 3D. I just don't think anything under 70" feels immersive enough to justify owning a 3D tv. I don't even consider my 50" plasma is that big of a screen, but I'm probably just used to the size by now after all these years.
Old 09-27-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brack
If I had a decent room that was dark enough for a projector, I'd be all about 3D. I just don't think anything under 70" feels immersive enough to justify owning a 3D tv. I don't even consider my 50" plasma is that big of a screen, but I'm probably just used to the size by now after all these years.
Anything under 70"? I haven't seen anything on the big screen that was immersive enough to make me want to get a 3d tv. Why spend the extra money on hardware and software for what amounts to a gimmick?
Old 09-27-15, 08:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Anything under 70"? I haven't seen anything on the big screen that was immersive enough to make me want to get a 3d tv. Why spend the extra money on hardware and software for what amounts to a gimmick?
You're right, there's not enough films that are filmed using 3D cameras that warrant watching 3D as a must, but I do like the presentation of a local independent theater that uses Sony 4K Digital Cinema Projectors where 3D looks pretty darn good (and since film is dead, a good alternative).

I thought the Robert Zemeckis 3D movies looked great on IMAX screens, but overall I like 3D more as a sometimes experience than a necessity. A novelty, yes, but done well a nice one, but since it's hardly done right I don't care for it, certainly not at home at least.
Old 09-27-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brack
You're right, there's not enough films that are filmed using 3D cameras that warrant watching 3D as a must, but I do like the presentation of a local independent theater that uses Sony 4K Digital Cinema Projectors where 3D looks pretty darn good (and since film is dead, a good alternative).

I thought the Robert Zemeckis 3D movies looked great on IMAX screens, but overall I like 3D more as a sometimes experience than a necessity. A novelty, yes, but done well a nice one, but since it's hardly done right I don't care for it, certainly not at home at least.
The bolded statement sums it up pretty concisely for me, as well. Until it actually is done well, and adds something substantial to the presentation, it wont be anything but a gimmick, and certainly not anything worth spending extra money on.
Old 09-28-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Agreed.

I always get hung up on the fact that I am always aware I'm watching a movie in "3D" - between the glasses and how the image is not actually 3D, but appear to be 2D cutouts on a 3D plane, I've never understood the point.

It makes perfect sense to have grown in popularity when movies themselves were more of an event, but it makes zero sense for it to be popular now.
Old 09-28-15, 09:29 AM
Cool New Member

3D to me is just a pain in the butt. I don't really care to wear the glasses, just find it uncomfortable after a period of time. Certain effects look cool but it really is the "gee whiz" factor for me. Does it look cool? Yeah sure, sometimes. Do I want or need it in my movies? No, not really. At least not in its present stage of development.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.