Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Oppo BDP-93 not playing 20th Century Fox BDs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo BDP-93 not playing 20th Century Fox BDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Oppo BDP-93 not playing 20th Century Fox BDs?

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I just popped it in my PS4 instead, but pretty annoying since 83's don't get firmware updates anymore.
And the 93 and 95 won't be supported forever either.
Old 11-15-14, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Each Blu-ray pressing uses a set of pre-programmed encryption keys, which the player is supposed to look for each time a BD gets played. Fox is the one studio that regularly changes their keys, which makes ripping their BDs a little harder. Older players often can't read these sequences correctly until the player gets a firmware update.
Are you 100% sure? Without re-reading the BD specs, I am aware that one of BD's anti-piracy features is its extensibility, the studios' ability to use new encryption keys which get secretly loaded into the player when the owner inserts a newer disk with these instructions. But BD has been around since 2006, and I'd think most players sold in the last 5 or 6 years (at least) would have fairly mature, well-tested firmware. From what I've been reading, though, it seems like most manufacturers never implemented this feature at all, instead relying on firmware updates, and thus potentially relegating their players to the junk heap when firmware updates stop. As a high-end company, Oppo would obviously want to implement this, and I'm guessing DVD Polizei's problem stemmed from Oppo's code going awry somehow.

At least that's my interpretation. Can anybody shoot it down?

My BD player is a low end (but region free) Insignia from 2010/2011, and my BD collection is still relatively slim. I'm trying to understand its chances of becoming a brick (or at least a "Fox brick") if I try playing a recent Fox disk.

This suggests another question. Do any manufacturers go out of their way to advertise their players' key extensibility, i.e. some slick marketing name for the feature? I'm eventually buying an Oppo, but if it was any other brand, I'd demand a clear answer from the manufacturer before spending more that $50.
Old 11-23-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm still having the same issues, and I'm currently attempting to get resolution from Oppo. Currently, as I see it, my next Blu-ray player will not be an Oppo, unless there are some changes which I think Oppo will be unwilling to accommodate.

I'm also writing 20th Century Fox and hope to get some kind of answer. Maybe they can contact Oppo as well.
Old 11-24-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

This is one case where the old rip-n-burn will expeditiously solve your problem, you'll be able to play the X-MEN disc just fine, then. You'll continue to be happy and use your Oppo, and get on with your life. And, an artificial limitation will have been most fortuiously cicrumvented.
Old 11-28-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a majorly boneheaded move from Fox, apparently a number of players are having this issue.
Old 11-30-14, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
my next Blu-ray player will not be an Oppo, unless there are some changes which I think Oppo will be unwilling to accommodate.
I'm intrigued. What sort of changes do you have in mind?
Old 12-03-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just got a firmware notification for my 83!

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-60-1110.aspx
Old 12-12-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Any update or resolution to this?
Old 12-12-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well there was a firmware released for the 83 last month that specifically addressed X-Men DOFP and there was a firmware for the 93 2 weeks after DOFP came out so I'd day give that a shot?
Old 12-20-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Without player firmware updates, new Fox releases won't work. They are by far the most aggressive studio at employing updated encryption keys, which necessitates the firmware updates. No hardware manufacturer is immune to the problem, the Blu-ray format was constructed like this by the studios.
Old 12-20-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

And all they're doing is pissing off people who bought their discs legitimately. People who want to copy them will just find a way around whatever new protection they come up with.
Old 12-20-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
And all they're doing is pissing off people who bought their discs legitimately. People who want to copy them will just find a way around whatever new protection they come up with.
Unfortunate, but not surprising.

The "bad apples" spoiling things for everybody else.
Old 12-20-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Without player firmware updates, new Fox releases won't work. They are by far the most aggressive studio at employing updated encryption keys, which necessitates the firmware updates. No hardware manufacturer is immune to the problem, the Blu-ray format was constructed like this by the studios.
IIRC, BD+ seemed to have been the source of the recent Fox disc problems.

Most other movie companies have not bothered using BD+ on their blurays.
Old 12-21-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Unfortunate, but not surprising.

The "bad apples" spoiling things for everybody else.
No, the moronic fools that think ALL of us are "bad apples" are ruining it for everyone. When it takes me 5 minutes to start a movie, I literally want to go find the execs in charge of all the crap on discs and go all CIA on their faces.
Old 12-21-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jjcool
Any update or resolution to this?
Nope. But I'm getting more serious with Oppo and they realize it. They're not being too helpful, and continue to deflect responsibility. I am hoping to come to a reasonable compromise by the end of the year.

For now, I'm watching movies from my PC.

Fox is being contacted and informed of Oppo's player not playing their discs. No response yet.
Old 12-21-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
No, the moronic fools that think ALL of us are "bad apples" are ruining it for everyone. When it takes me 5 minutes to start a movie, I literally want to go find the execs in charge of all the crap on discs and go all CIA on their faces.
Unskippable studio logos and warnings have become the bane of my existence, especially as most studios now author Blu-rays in BD-Java. It becomes a huge pain on something like a television set where you can't pick up from where you left off, forcing you to watch them every time the disc loads.
Old 12-23-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Unskippable studio logos and warnings have become the bane of my existence, especially as most studios now author Blu-rays in BD-Java. It becomes a huge pain on something like a television set where you can't pick up from where you left off, forcing you to watch them every time the disc loads.
Really seems like a step backward from DVD in that regard. Sure, it's great to have better picture and sound quality, but now we've got to go back to the days of VHS and sitting through these logos and warnings at the beginnings. But, on VHS, we could fast forward through them.
What is even more frustrating is not being able to pick up right where you left off. Again, a feature that we had on VHS, that is sorely missing on blue ray.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Nope. But I'm getting more serious with Oppo and they realize it. They're not being too helpful, and continue to deflect responsibility. I am hoping to come to a reasonable compromise by the end of the year.

For now, I'm watching movies from my PC.

Fox is being contacted and informed of Oppo's player not playing their discs. No response yet.
Well keep on them about it. And please keep us updated.
Old 01-08-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When asked if Fox has access to Oppo BD players:

Originally Posted by Oppo; 1-8-15
No one, even us, has access to the OPPO player. So Fox could not disable their discs on a specific unit. They would have to program their players to detect OPPO players, then disable access to all OPPO players. No distributor would ever do this.
In addition, Oppo is once again telling me to reinstall the latest firmware, blah blah blah. I'll do it any case as instructed. Who knows, it might work. Cough.

I may buy a sub-$100 player from Walmart and compare it to the $500 Oppo I have and demonstrate via video, how a cheapass player can do just fine, not something 10x as expensive. Then post my results on YouTube for everyone to view and maybe learn something.

UPDATE; Reinstalled firmware. Set to factory defaults. 20th Century Fox movies will not play (except for The Americans Season 1 as stated earlier, which is odd).

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-08-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

No problems with Fox discs on my BDP-93 BTW, with the latest firmware. You mentioned "I Robot" has a hard time playing, that was one of their first titles so doesn't seem it would have any weird software that would mess up on any player.

Noticed a lot of recent Fox discs force you to sit through their 23-second intro every time, that is pretty annoying. Some discs let you skip it but a lot of them don't.
Old 01-09-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For some reason, these are all Fox discs that aren't playing, so something on those discs is not liking my particular Oppo player. I've tried a crapload of settings. Turning Secondary Audio off, Bitstream, etc.
Old 02-03-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My new Samsung BD-H6500 plays every Fox Blu-ray so far. Oppo insists it's me. Kinda doubt it. I may send my Oppo in for repair but this isn't a hardware issue. It's software.