Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Annoying auto-dimming- does YOUR TV do this?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-24-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B6dLLTgPTA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonstration of the annoying and undefeatable auto-dimming feature on my Sharp TV. I've had it for 2 years and have tried to "just live with it", but it's really pissing me off. Although a lot of people complain about the "soap opera effect", which makes filmed material look more like video (and is difficult but possible to disable on this TV) I've heard very little mention of this. (I had a Vizio previously with full-backlight smart-dimming, which made the backlight go COMPLETELY out when the picture went to black, but that could at least be disabled though the benefits of the smart-dimming went with it.)

I've sort of gotten around it by boosting the brightness levels on my Blu-ray player and on my receiver which upconverts all my analog sources, but I can't do that with the computer, HD-DVD player or Roku.
Old 09-24-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Re: Annoying auto-dimming- does YOUR TV do this?

You're sure there's not an actual setting that just turns it off? We just got a TV for our bedroom that does this and we found a way to turn it off. The setting wasn't named what you'd expect either.

Alternatively, could you locate the light sensor and just cover it with black tape?
Old 09-24-14, 06:11 PM

I've played with EVERY setting on this thing, even gone into the service menu, but can't find any way to disable it. Since I posted this video on Sharp's Facebook page, someone called me and suggested a bunch of different controls which I'd already tried, but to humor them I tried again and it still would not stop it from dimming the backlight. (It's amazing how little most of the electronics companies' "customer service" people know about electronics!) It does have a light sensor that will adjust the brightness depending on how much light is in the room, but that can be turned on or off and has no effect on the dimming either way.

I'd love to get Sharp's 80-incher as soon as I can afford it (and move to a bigger place to put it!) but will have to pass on it and wait for someone else to make one if it still does this. I'm wondering how many other brands also do this though?
Old 09-24-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn off Auto Contrast?

or OPC I think it might be called.

ps. We have a sharp LCD, and i've never run across this issue.
Old 09-26-14, 12:18 AM

"Never run across this issue"? Is yours from before or after 2012? I'm wondering if they implemented it at a certain time, or have made it defeatable on their later sets.
Old 09-26-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

It's not annoying to me. I purchased my Sharp Aquos in 2005, it has this feature, it can be turned off, but I like it. It's called, as an earlier post says, OPC and is listed under the Picture item in the setup menu.
Old 09-27-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"Never run across this issue"? Is yours from before or after 2012? I'm wondering if they implemented it at a certain time, or have made it defeatable on their later sets.
I think it's a 2012 model.