Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking back,,,how much for first VHS?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thinking back,,,how much for first VHS?

Old 10-08-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Thinking back,,,how much for first VHS?

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
8M+ views for a stupid video I posted on YouTube that I had no idea would get watched that much. Same screen name as here. (Don't judge)
I'm not judging. I'm pretty sure that was shot here in Toronto. The picture quality is appropriate for a VHS discussion.
Old 10-09-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

It's funny how so many of those brand names have disappeared like Fischer, Zenith, Magnavox, Realistic (Radio Shack) etc.

I bought one of the first VHS machines made in Korea called Unitech back in 1987.
Old 10-09-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
It's funny how so many of those brand names have disappeared like Fischer, Zenith, Magnavox, Realistic (Radio Shack) etc.

I bought one of the first VHS machines made in Korea called Unitech back in 1987.
Is JVC still in business? I brought a JVC HR-S8000U Hi-Fi 4-Head SVHS VCR in the middle to late 1980's. It retailed for over $1000. Picked up a returned model at the Schofield Barracks PX for about $400. Remember that price because when I came home my wife went nuts.
Old 10-09-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost bought a JVC TV a couple months ago. I think they are a Panasonic relation. (but don't care enough to look it up right now)
Old 10-10-14, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember Unitech. I had a small one that I used to use for making dupes of rental tapes.
Old 10-12-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

JVC invented the VHS format. Its name stands for Japan Victor Company, same Victor as RCA Victor- they were related a long time ago.

I had a Unitech portable radio with headphones, only time I've seen that brand. Fisher was an audiophile brand in the 60s and 70s, but was one of the first companies to get absorbed by an Asian company and put out relative crap in the 80s. Real shame what happened to Zenith- LG owns what's left of them now.
Old 10-17-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

We paid about a grand for our Betamax back in whenever...When Star Wars was release on beta I paid about $100 for that movie alone. You could only buy them to rent then but the store sold one to me at cost! It said rental only on it too.
Old 10-23-14, 12:34 AM

Magnavox is still around but just as a brand made by Funai which also makes other brands. Also LG currently owns Zenith which still produce converter boxes and tvs for some stores under that name
Old 10-23-14, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our first VCR was a multi-norm silver top loader in 1983. I don't remember the brand but that VCR worked perfectly fine until retirement in the late 1990s.
Our family bought a slim hi-fi stereo (w/ auto tracking) front loader with LP/SP option in early 1984 (Panasonic I think), and a top loader beta in late 1984. One year later we bought a portable top loader VCR for our camping trips. I honestly don't remember how much my dad paid for each VCR, but I remember membership fees for several rental places which was between $50 - $100 for a year. Blank tapes for making dubs were kind of expensive back then, with prices usually beginning at $10 and up.
Original movies on VHS had insane prices (Brain Damage (1988) was like $89 and Meridian (1990) $79). The first movie on VHS I bought was Purple Rain which was something like $24.99 only.