Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Geek Squad consultation for projecter and screen install waste of time?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i called Best Buy today about them installing my projecter and screen. The guy starts giving me a sales pitch on how i should get the $100 consultation on what the best fit for my room and some other stuff. It sounds like a waste of time and money considering i've done hours of research, measured my room and did throw distance calculator etc etc. Do you guys think it's worth it? Have any of you gotten a consultation from gs?
Old 04-16-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Geek Squad consultation for projecter and screen install waste of time?

My first inclination would be to say, yes, it's a waste of time.
Old 04-16-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,884 Posts

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ed_people_off/

http://consumerist.com/2008/07/02/ge...-of-your-data/
Old 04-16-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Normally I'd avoid them but for installing a projector and screen it's not a one man job and I'm not much of a handyman. What other places would i go to get something like this installed?
Old 04-16-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So If I already know which projector, Throw Distance, Screen Size I need, what would be the point of having GS come over for a consultation? It seems like they would just try to sell me useless accessories. Are they really gonna just up and leave on the day of delivery and installation if there's one thing wrong with my room???
Old 04-17-14, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
So If I already know which projector, Throw Distance, Screen Size I need, what would be the point of having GS come over for a consultation? It seems like they would just try to sell me useless accessories. Are they really gonna just up and leave on the day of delivery and installation if there's one thing wrong with my room???
No but it's good to be sure. It's your call on actually purchasing whatever they suggest on the consult and you do get that $100 back if you purchase the install. They just want to make sure everything is ready to go the day of as the projector install blocks a good amount of time and reschedules can wreck the day.
Old 04-17-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea what that service would do, but my level of trust for BBis negative. I may be a little handier than how you described yourself, but I'd still say skip.

There must be real HT installer companies in your city, maybe google or yelp could help to find one.
Old 04-17-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think YMMV with the Geek Squad. Several years ago, they installed an HDTV for my parents and when I went to see their new TV, I discovered they didn't even have it set for 1080p.

If you're even moderately techy (and it certainly sounds like you are), I don't think they're worth the trouble - certainly not for a 'consultation'.

I would look for a small 'mom and pop' (probably just 'pop'!) store that caters to home theater...a good google search should be able to find someone, along with reviews of their work. You might wind up finding someone local who does it as a 'second job' but really knows his stuff.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-17-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 08:14 AM

I usually find guys at Magnolia ( Best Buy ) quite friendly - I have many times gone and talked to them about speakers etc and they have been very happy to answer my questions and demo stuff and generally chat for a while without pressuring me to buy anything. some them are happy to chat with someone who understands AV stuff.

In your case, are you buying projector and screen from them ? - in that case you can just ask them to give you a free consultation, even if you are just getting installation from them - you can pay for consultation and ask that to be adjusted if you go with them for installation.
Old 04-17-14, 08:40 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would look for a small 'mom and pop' (probably just 'pop'!) store that caters to home theater...a good google search should be able to find someone, along with reviews of their work. You might wind up finding someone local who does it as a 'second job' but really knows his stuff.
+1

I'd suggest going over to the AVS Forum or Home Theater Forum and try to get recommendations for businesses in your area. Maybe you can even find a local expert that's willing to help you out for a few bucks.