Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can't blieve it! Finally bought a Blu Ray player!!!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-18-14, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ME...The naysayer of all naysayers against jumping into Blu Ray Because primarily of my large DVD collection and Ext Def TV only, Bought a 55 inch LED HDTV,1rst...BB had Blu Ray of "Blade Runner" on it and it was like I was seeing it for the 1rst time!!! I was like Holy SH*T!!! , then proceeded to pick up my 1rst Blu Ray player and of course the Blade Runner 5 disc Blu set! YES I was stupid for waiting this long But this is fantastic!!!. Now my wife is gonna really kill me when I start replacing some SD titles I have!!! OH WELL...
Old 01-18-14, 07:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts
Re: Can't blieve it! Finally bought a Blu Ray player!!!

welcome to the cool kids club!!
Old 01-19-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Squeee!
Old 01-19-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought this thread was a bump from 2010.

In any case, congrats. Most of the time, you'll enjoy the high-def experience.
Old 01-20-14, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I thought this thread was a bump from 2010.

In any case, congrats. Most of the time, you'll enjoy the high-def experience.
not all the time? i can't remember the last time i intentionally watched a DVD.
Old 01-20-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

The first time you see a careless and / or botched transfer of your favorite catalog film in the format, you'll realize that you may not enjoy the format all the time. For the want of *what could have been*. I'm talking about those companies / encoding houses whose technical incompetance speaks loudly.

In other words, with Blu-ray, the bar has been raised, and many companies have become complacent with DVD-level encodes in the format, and this makes one sad.
Old 01-23-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Congrats. I did this in 2007. I replaced MANY of my DVDs and now have more blu-rays than DVDs.
Old 01-25-14, 08:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Congrats smurr05!

Hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since I upgraded to BD, I was a big holdout thinking I didn't need it and my TV wouldn't support it anyway. Glad I finally bit the bullet and bought one, it's opened up possibilities for me. Wanted an older player that would still upconvert via component cables, got it plus a HDMI to Component converter, so far I'm happy with the end result. Now, if there's anything new I want, I'll buy it on blu-ray. There are still catalog titles out there that I want but have never been given the BD treatment, or the price was just too good to pass up on the DVD, but my BD library is growing slowly (43 of my 758 are BDs now), despite my prior resistance. I've made a pact with myself not to upgrade a perfectly good DVD (they look fine on this player), but I did upgrade a couple where the DVD transfer was piss poor. Still waiting for them to give Ricochet the BD treatment, the DVD is for shit.

Anyway, good luck smurr!
Old 01-25-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Remember, you're not REQUIRED to upgrade your DVDs--you'll just want to. And there's really no good reason to buy new releases on DVD when the equivalent BD is often the same or better price.
Old 01-28-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I had an old tube tv and dvd player up until late 2011 when I bought 64 inch plasma HDTV and blu ray player.

However, I started buying Blu-ray movies well before that (about 10 months or so). All my new releases I purchased were blu ray, long before I got the actual player and tv.

That said, my friend strongly recommended I start buying my new releases on blu ray long before I actually did. And I can't say he was wrong. I knew sooner or later I'd eventually be going BLU and I'd want my collection to be blu, so why waste time buying dvd's I'd end up wanting to replace. He was right.

oh well. Only a few that really pissed me off. All of which were criterions I bought on dvd, when Blu was available for the same title. HDTV or no HDTV who buys Days of Heaven on dvd when Blu Ray is available!
Old 01-29-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree there's no reason to buy new release DVDs anymore as the price is almost identical and the Blu-ray almost always comes with a DVD.

That said, I still find myself buying older catalogue titles on DVD usually in the $2-$3 range.

They are usually titles I classify as my B list. They are often oddball movies that are either not available on Blu-ray or are low-volume titles with high price tags such as Shout! titles.

Titles such as The Howling, The Funhouse, The Fog, Halloween III etc. that are $20+ on Blu or $2 as a used DVD. Given the choice, for me the $2 DVD is just fine.

It depends on your personal taste and how much you're will to spend.
Old 01-29-14, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
Congrats smurr05!

Hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since I upgraded to BD, I was a big holdout thinking I didn't need it and my TV wouldn't support it anyway. Glad I finally bit the bullet and bought one, it's opened up possibilities for me. Wanted an older player that would still upconvert via component cables, got it plus a HDMI to Component converter, so far I'm happy with the end result. Now, if there's anything new I want, I'll buy it on blu-ray. There are still catalog titles out there that I want but have never been given the BD treatment, or the price was just too good to pass up on the DVD, but my BD library is growing slowly (43 of my 758 are BDs now), despite my prior resistance. I've made a pact with myself not to upgrade a perfectly good DVD (they look fine on this player), but I did upgrade a couple where the DVD transfer was piss poor. Still waiting for them to give Ricochet the BD treatment, the DVD is for shit.

Anyway, good luck smurr!
kd5...can you find when i started a thread and finally got my first player and HDTV? please, i'll owe you...
Old 01-29-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Got it...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/573...ve-extras.html
Old 01-29-14, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
thanks Ed, but that was when i got blu-ray player, didn't have HDTV yet. wanted to find when i got HDTV and then utilized it all...

i do really appreciate though!!
Old 01-29-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about these then?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/589...xperience.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...v-i-think.html

Old 01-30-14, 07:48 AM

that be the ones! thanks Ed.
Old 01-30-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem, bro!
Old 01-31-14, 03:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kd5
Now, if there's anything new I want, I'll buy it on blu-ray. There are still catalog titles out there that I want but have never been given the BD treatment, or the price was just too good to pass up on the DVD, but my BD library is growing slowly (43 of my 758 are BDs now), despite my prior resistance.
Originally Posted by orangerunner
I agree there's no reason to buy new release DVDs anymore as the price is almost identical and the Blu-ray almost always comes with a DVD.

That said, I still find myself buying older catalogue titles on DVD usually in the $2-$3 range.

They are usually titles I classify as my B list. They are often oddball movies that are either not available on Blu-ray or are low-volume titles with high price tags such as Shout! titles.

Titles such as The Howling, The Funhouse, The Fog, Halloween III etc. that are $20+ on Blu or $2 as a used DVD. Given the choice, for me the $2 DVD is just fine.

It depends on your personal taste and how much you're will to spend.
That pretty much sums up my approach. This being said... in spite of having been a member here for so long my collection is nothing like many of the folk on here. I didn't have all that many pre-recorded VHS tapes either!
Originally Posted by Chadm
I had an old tube tv and dvd player up until late 2011 when I bought 64 inch plasma HDTV and blu ray player.

However, I started buying Blu-ray movies well before that (about 10 months or so). All my new releases I purchased were blu ray, long before I got the actual player and tv.

That said, my friend strongly recommended I start buying my new releases on blu ray long before I actually did. And I can't say he was wrong. I knew sooner or later I'd eventually be going BLU and I'd want my collection to be blu, so why waste time buying dvd's I'd end up wanting to replace. He was right.
I got my first flatscreen in 2012 when I moved house and I was refused permission to bring the CRT with me! In 2013 we got a bluray player which was also some kind of home cinema (two speakers and a sub-woofer) which markedly improved the sound quality.

I am definitely a "late-adopter"! I have yet to buy a tablet or an e-reader and to date have not ripped my CDs although that is likely to happen this year.

As with the above example, though, I did start buying CDs well before I bought my first player. IIRC I had a couple of dozen CDs collected when I invested in a nice separate system most of which I still own (the separates and the CDs!).
Old 01-31-14, 03:39 AM
M&J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Welcome to our world!!
Old 01-31-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
welcome to the cool kids club!!
Welcome to 2007!
Old 02-01-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
not all the time? i can't remember the last time i intentionally watched a DVD.
You ever seen The Kingdom Of Heaven on Blu-ray? It's a compression disaster. Not sure if it's ever been remastered. Then there's several Echo Bridge titles which look better on DVD with an upconversion within a Blu-ray player itself.