Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-00, 11:29 AM   #1
Polekat
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 168
I have a Pioneer VSX-D608 receiver with S-Video switching capabilities, but can't seem to get it to work. I have a DVD player, satellite receiver and will be getting my PSX2 tomorrow. I would like to hook them up, but when I recently tried to hook up the DVD player and satellite receiver it didn't work. I had them connected in the back with an S-video cable going out to my TV (only 1 S-video slot on TV). What am I doing wrong? any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Polekat

[This message has been edited by Polekat (edited October 25, 2000).]
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 12:28 PM   #2
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: chokin' you out in less than 30 seconds
Posts: 10,634
give me a little bit more info there.

i used to have this receiver but didn't use the s video on it. from my understanding, if you connect the s video from your dvd and satellite directly to the s video in on the receiver, then connect the s video out on the receiver to the s video in on the tv then you should be set.

is this what you are doing exactly? also...something is reminding me that there may be a switch on the back of the receiver to switch it from composite to svideo...check that too.

cranky.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 01:06 PM   #3
Polekat
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 168
quote:
Originally posted by crankyman:
give me a little bit more info there.

i used to have this receiver but didn't use the s video on it. from my understanding, if you connect the s video from your dvd and satellite directly to the s video in on the receiver, then connect the s video out on the receiver to the s video in on the tv then you should be set.

is this what you are doing exactly? also...something is reminding me that there may be a switch on the back of the receiver to switch it from composite to svideo...check that too.

cranky.




Yeah, that's what I did and the audio worked but no video. I will check the back to see if there is a swtich. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 06:07 PM   #4
DVD_O_Rama
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
There is no switch. If an S-video cable is connected to an input, it overrides the composite connections. Please elaborate on where you are making your connections. (TV/SAT, DVD/LD, etc.) I've had this receiver for a while now and use it for all my S-video devices (LD, PSX, S-VHS, DBS) with no problems at all.

------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
Spanish Pantalones
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 06:19 PM   #5
stevevt
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,614
Make sure that you set your tv so it's using the s-video input. This'd probably be in your tv's menu somewhere.

Most (?) tvs don't auto-sense the source coming into them, and need to be told which input you are using.

-S
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 06:58 PM   #6
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: chokin' you out in less than 30 seconds
Posts: 10,634
i was just gonna rekommend that.


cranky.

------------------
submit....your photo to http://welcome.to/theOtherForum
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 07:20 PM   #7
Polekat
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 168
quote:
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
There is no switch. If an S-video cable is connected to an input, it overrides the composite connections. Please elaborate on where you are making your connections. (TV/SAT, DVD/LD, etc.) I've had this receiver for a while now and use it for all my S-video devices (LD, PSX, S-VHS, DBS) with no problems at all.




I will try again. I had the DVD in the S-Video for DVD slot, my Satallite in the SAT S-Video slot and PSX in one of the others. I must have done something wrong in there somewhere. I then had one s-video cable in the s-video out which went to my TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-00, 09:52 PM   #8
DVD_O_Rama
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Camp Crystal Lake
Posts: 1,982
quote:
Originally posted by Polekat:
I will try again. I had the DVD in the S-Video for DVD slot, my Satallite in the SAT S-Video slot and PSX in one of the others. I must have done something wrong in there somewhere. I then had one s-video cable in the s-video out which went to my TV.


Make sure the cable that is connected to your tv is set also connected to the 'to monitor/tv' output on your reciever. Other then that...I'm not sure what to tell you. As the other folks have said, make sure your tv doesn't have a setting to switch between composite/S-video. On my Toshiba, S-video overrides composite (not that I have any composite connections, anyway), but your set may differ.



------------------
DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Now Showing:
Spanish Pantalones
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.