Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Connecting Home Theater Components?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-13-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm purchasing an HDTV and am leaning towards a soundbar system for sound, as I live in an apartment and space is a concern. However, having never had a separate audio system, I have some questions, mostly about connections between the separate components (PS3, 360, TV, & Soundbar):

I assume I connect the videogame systems to the TV via HDMI cables for the best picture quality. However, to have the audio from the TV and game systems come out of soundbar vs. TV speakers, do you just run one connection from the TV to the receiver/soundbar, or do you need a cable from each system and TV to the receiver? Also, is HDMI the 'best' for that as well (re: audio)? Am I leaving out any connections or needed cables? I'm sure this would all make more sense once I have the manuals, but I'd like to order everything together, so I can just hook it all up at once.

For reference, this is the soundbar/home theater system I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...dp/B002ZG7WIA/

And this is the HDTV:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R9PK/

Thanks for any help or feedback!
Old 06-13-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Connecting Home Theater Components?

For these two particular pieces, the connections would be simple. All your components feed into the various HDMI inputs on the receiver (the picture shows three). Then you feed one HDMI out of the receiver to the TV. Nothing goes from the TV to the receiver. The receiver passes your video through the receiver to the TV and also the sound to the soundbar, depending on which input is selected. You'll want to turn your TV speakers off.

Also, that is a pretty cool receiver. I've never seen a receiver with a subwoofer built in before. Let us know how it sounds.