Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Finally bought a blu-ray player...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 05:00 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

...even though my TV has no HDMI capabilities. My DVD player has been acting up lately, hanging up/getting stuck in the middle of a movie, then I have to turn it off/unplug it for 5 minutes, plug t back in, reset date/time, fire up the movie and get to the point we were at before, which is REALLY irritating. It had only done this once or twice during it's lifetime, but recently 2 or 3 times in a relatively short period of time. Figured it's about time to upgrade at least one component, hopefully won't have to replace the TV anytime soon (knock on wood).

Bought a Sony BDP-S570, reviewers say it has super fast load times for a blu-ray player, even if the streaming is spotty depending on the player and who you talk to. Won't be doing any streaming so I don't care about that. It was manufactured prior to the "analog sunset", so hopefully it will still upconvert via component cables, at least my DVDs should look better on this player. Found one new at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S570-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338069481&sr=8-1

It gets pretty decent reviews, although a few people just recently had problems with theirs. I hope mine operates smoothly and without issues.

I wonder if I should upgrade the firmware when I set it up, or just leave it as it is? Thoughts? -kd5-
Old 05-26-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Finally bought a blu-ray player...

Update the firmware!
Old 05-26-12, 05:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the recommendation 12thmonkey! -kd5-
Old 05-28-12, 07:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Is it possible to screw up a firmware update on these like it could conceivably be with a bios update on a computer? I've done hundreds of bios updates on computers, ever only had one go bad (luckily it was on a computer I was given), rendered the PC a boat anchor. I've also done firmware updates on PC CD/DVD drives and printers with no issues...

Reading reviews for this player at Amazon, one person said they updated the firmware "that now causes the player to flash "Wait" as it does it's power on self-test, from which it never recovers about 50% of the time. The only way to solve the problem is to unplug the unit, then power it up again and hope it starts up correctly." Strangely enough, this person had problems with a Samsung firmware update too. Can a person be that unlucky? Or is it possible to screw up a firmware update (assuming you don't do something stupid like turn the player off or unplug it in the middle of its update)? -kd5-
Old 05-28-12, 07:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Another question: Has anyone ever had any luck using an HDMI to Component Cable adapter? -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-28-12 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-28-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a small cheap Sony bluray player to use exclusively outdoors with a projector. It unfortunately came with the streaming option. It annoys me to no ends. There's no problems when playing a bluray but when I toss a DVD in I sometimes have to struggle to get it out of the home page and recognize the DVD.
Old 05-28-12, 08:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
I recently bought a small cheap Sony bluray player to use exclusively outdoors with a projector. It unfortunately came with the streaming option. It annoys me to no ends. There's no problems when playing a bluray but when I toss a DVD in I sometimes have to struggle to get it out of the home page and recognize the DVD.
Hopefully, nothing like that will happen with this player (knock on wood). -kd5-
Old 05-28-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey

First...yes upgradge the firmware. Do you have it connected via network? it's the easiest way to do. Sony has the "Burn to Disc" option as well. Instructions on doing it both wys is here....

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-do..._id=11#discupd

As to using a HDMI-to-Component, they do work. I'm using one for my older XBox 360 to connect thru my Yamaha 671. The one I'm using came from Monoprice and is powered but so far no issues whatever. It beats getting a new Xbox....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description
Old 05-28-12, 09:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Don't have the player yet but I should be able to update it via my wireless network.

Thanks for the input on the adapter! -kd5-
Old 05-28-12, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dvd player with date and time ? Never heard of that.
Old 05-28-12, 05:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
A dvd player with date and time ? Never heard of that.
Well, now you have. -kd5-
Old 05-30-12, 11:51 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

The wrong player arrived this morning. There were 4 available when I ordered this, now there are none. I bought this particular model for specific reasons, now it looks like it's back to the drawing board. Bullshit.

-kd5-
Old 05-31-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which one arrived and did it come from Amazon or another seller thru them?
Old 05-31-12, 09:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

It was the BDP-S580 which I don't want, I've already sent it back. It was from a 3rd party seller (Pavilion Electronics) that Amazon fulfilled. I got in contact with Pavilion via a Google search, but got no satisfaction from them so now I look elsewhere. As I said, I have specific reasons for wanting the 570, I'm really not in that big of a hurry, I can wait. My DVD player has been behaving itself lately (knock on wood). -kd5-
Old 05-31-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Tough luck, kd5. Hope someone will come through for you soon.
Old 06-01-12, 07:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks davidh777. What's weird is that if you follow the link I posted in my OP, they claim that they had 18, then 17, now 16 of that particular model in stock, yet the only reply I've ever received from Pavilion said they don't have any 570's. I tried to call them Wednesday, the lady said she'd look into it and call me back, never called back. Called several times yesterday, no answer, left messages, no return call. I've emailed them several times but I've only ever received that one reply. They get 4.8 out of 5 stars in their Feedback Rating and I can't understand how they rate so highly. From my experience, they suck.

Apparently they don't want my money. -kd5-
Old 06-01-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What exactly is on the 570 that you need or want vs others?
Old 06-01-12, 03:54 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
What exactly is on the 570 that you need or want vs others?
See Post #1 (plus it gets better reviews than the 580)... -kd5-
Old 06-02-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just checked for the heck-of-it at Amazon and that Pavilion Electronics is showing 13 left in stock.

http://www.gosale.com/5007089/sony-b...0-blu-ray-disc
Old 06-02-12, 05:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they do say that they have that many in stock, but call Pavilion Electronics and ask them how many BDP-S570's they have and they'll say "Sorry, we don't have that particular model in stock". What they're doing is sending out 580's "as an upgrade". Very poor business practice, to offer 570's when you don't even have any. I got burned, and through many phone calls and emails found out they don't even have 570's in stock.

Their phone number: 866-580-9251. -kd5-
Old 06-04-12, 03:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Won a Brand New (factory-sealed) BDP-S570 on Ebay for $107.33, considerably less than Amazon's price of $149.99, even if theirs wasn't the player I wanted anyway. I've been in regular contact with the seller as the auction progressed, I feel pretty confident this was a good win. Now the waiting game until its arrival. -kd5-
Old 06-04-12, 06:04 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

A question: This is my current DVD/VCR combo player.

Firstly, I'm not running my DVD/VCR through my receiver, it's going through the TV, then to the receiver, I don't want to have to have the receiver on to get audio, only when I want to while watching a DVD or VHS video.

Currently running component video cables from the TV to the DVD Only side (far right), then Audio R/L cable from Input 1 on the TV to the DVD player. Then I have A/V cables run to the VCR side (middle/right side) and connected to Input 3 on the TV.

This is the setup on the blu-ray player:

With my DVD/VCR combo player, on the DVD Only side (far right), I plan to swap the component video cable from the DVD player to the blu-ray player, and I was going to move the Audio R/L (on the DVD Only side of the DVD player) over to the Audio R/L of the blu-ray player, but there's a video connector there too.

Should I pull the A/V cable I'm currently using on the VHS side of the DVD/VCR combo player (and running to Input 3 on the TV), and use it instead of just the audio R/L cable I'm using now?

What is the video connector intended to do (on the blu-ray player) when I'm already using component video cables from the TV to the blu-ray player?

Thanks, -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 06-04-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Yellow is a single-cable composite video out.

Just curious, why don't you want the receiver audio when watching Video? That's part of the experience!
Old 06-04-12, 07:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow

Just curious, why don't you want the receiver audio when watching Video? That's part of the experience!
I am able to listen to anything on the TV through the receiver, but I have the choice of whether I want the receiver on or not by running it through the TV first. We don't need to listen to the 6:00 news through the receiver.

What does that mean exactly, and do I need to connect to it under my circumstances? -kd5-
Old 06-04-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need it. It is a different video out, you only need one at a time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.