Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-12, 02:56 PM   #1
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,620
Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Looking to buy a 60" TV soon, and plan to get the room and furniture set up first.

We found a nice little console that says it supports something like 240 lbs and a 55" TV. I don't see why a much lighter 60" TV wouldn't fit. What's the rationale for trying to limit it, just to prevent it extending over the sides? The base that actually will rest on the console will fit with tons of room to spare obviously.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 03:09 PM   #2
mythmaker18
Senior Member
 
mythmaker18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 613
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Looking to buy a 60" TV soon, and plan to get the room and furniture set up first.

We found a nice little console that says it supports something like 240 lbs and a 55" TV. I don't see why a much lighter 60" TV wouldn't fit. What's the rationale for trying to limit it, just to prevent it extending over the sides? The base that actually will rest on the console will fit with tons of room to spare obviously.
If the weight is under the specced limit, you'll be okay, as long as you're okay with the TV "sticking out" on the left and right sides, which is an annoyance/inconvenience to some (I probably fall into that category).
__________________
"I used the bike trail with my viper blue, then some fields good thing I don't have much testycalls to crush (ouch) for the viper blue don't have springs or tampon absorbers." - Danol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 03:12 PM   #3
clckworang
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 6,207
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Looking to buy a 60" TV soon, and plan to get the room and furniture set up first.

We found a nice little console that says it supports something like 240 lbs and a 55" TV. I don't see why a much lighter 60" TV wouldn't fit. What's the rationale for trying to limit it, just to prevent it extending over the sides? The base that actually will rest on the console will fit with tons of room to spare obviously.
I think that is essentially the reason. I have a TV stand that is supposed to be for a 36" inch TV that I purchased a really long time ago. I have my 42" TV on there now. It looks fine, though does extend over the sides a bit. I would be more worried about weight, but as light as TVs have become, that won't be a problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 04:07 PM   #4
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,548
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Another issue is the TV toppling over. If it sticks out, there's a greater chance a little kid can grab the end and pull it enough the make it fall over (more common than you'd think). If you do go over the edge, I'd make sure to anchor it to the wall (some models come with a string/cable for just that), especially if you have kids living in or visiting the house.
__________________
everything Numanoid has said is true - Talkin2Phil
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 08:54 AM   #5
Spiky
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,718
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

I find it easier to just tie all the children up. You just have to remember to remove the rope before school starts each day.
__________________
Ignorance vs Bliss
--Wizdar
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 06:32 PM   #6
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,620
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Thanks for the input everyone. Hadn't really thought about the kid or dog bumping into the overhanging parts. Will probably just put bookcases or something close to the ides to help prevent that.

But we actually found a nicer one at Costco today that supports up to 60". Need to lose my behemoth of an entertainment center first, then will probably go with the Costco one.

Have lots of Best Buy store credit, so looking at 60" smart TVs there now, and trying to decide to 3D or not 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 12:37 PM   #7
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,548
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

You have a young stepdaughter, right? Go 3D. Kids love it. Hell, I love it and I'm old. Even if you don't like it at the theater, I think it's much more fun at home.
__________________
everything Numanoid has said is true - Talkin2Phil
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 02:02 PM   #8
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 8,542
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Hadn't really thought about the kid or dog bumping into the overhanging parts. Will probably just put bookcases or something close to the ides to help prevent that.

But we actually found a nicer one at Costco today that supports up to 60". Need to lose my behemoth of an entertainment center first, then will probably go with the Costco one.

Have lots of Best Buy store credit, so looking at 60" smart TVs there now, and trying to decide to 3D or not 3D.
Are there any TVs that size that don't do 3D?

Go get an anti-tip kit if you're concerned about the kid ruining the TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Hangman-TV400B.../dp/B003VOEEOU
__________________
"If you have a pear shaped body, you should not wear pear colored clothes, or act juicy."

- Demetri Martin
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 02:54 PM   #9
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,620
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Thanks all. Yes, we'll be going 3D. First, I need to find someone stupid enough to take this monstrosity of an entertainment center out of our living room. I'll get a mounting cable like that if needed, will depend on our final set-up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 07:44 AM   #10
mythmaker18
Senior Member
 
mythmaker18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 613
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks all. Yes, we'll be going 3D. First, I need to find someone stupid enough to take this monstrosity of an entertainment center out of our living room.[/IMG]
That looks to be about the size of the one we had to get rid of last fall. The wife and I managed to take it to the garage where it sat for a month or two, until an in-law decided they'd take it off our hands, so we let them have it for free, as long as they came and picked it up.

I was worried for quite some time that no one would even pick it up for free! Sucker's quite heavy, even without a 32" tube sitting on it!

Good luck!
__________________
"I used the bike trail with my viper blue, then some fields good thing I don't have much testycalls to crush (ouch) for the viper blue don't have springs or tampon absorbers." - Danol
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 07:58 AM   #11
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,620
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaker18 View Post
That looks to be about the size of the one we had to get rid of last fall. The wife and I managed to take it to the garage where it sat for a month or two, until an in-law decided they'd take it off our hands, so we let them have it for free, as long as they came and picked it up.

I was worried for quite some time that no one would even pick it up for free! Sucker's quite heavy, even without a 32" tube sitting on it!

Good luck!
I tried Freecycle to get rid of it back in December when I moved and had no takers; so we painfully moved it and have been using it. It fits her old 32" TV, and can fit up to a 36" I think, and I have my 42" on top of it at this moment. But neither option is ideal, and it really doesn't work at all unless you're fine with 36" or less.

And yes, it's very heavy and unwieldy. Luckily, I posted it again on Freecycycle last night and have four offers already. Hopefully one of them follows through with hauling it out of here.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.