Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help and advice for buying new television

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help and advice for buying new television

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Need help and advice for buying new television

i believe that once you put a 3D disc on it, both the PS3 and TV recognize it and display it as such, you would instantly see the blurry screen and would have to put the glasses on (after turning them on). I don't remember having to do anything on it besides the initial configuration on the PS3 as you described it.
Old 03-28-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would make sense, but because 3D is new to me I was not sure how it was handled by the television and my PS3. I figured at least I didn't need to do anything further with my PS3 because it seemed to handle the 3D set up when I was setting up the HDMI connection. Still don't know why I'm not getting any 3D display. The movie looks blurry like it is outputting 3D to the screen, but when I use the glasses that came with the Panasonic I'm not seeing 3D. Is it possible the glasses are the problem?
Old 03-29-12, 06:27 PM

Yes, cause if the screen is blurry it means that the 3D is getting there fine. The glasses could be uncharged, if not u might need a new pair. The Sony PS3 active shutter 3D glasses work with Panasonic TVs, I bought a pair from Bestbuy a few weeks ago and they actually fit better than the Panny ones on top of my regular glasses.
Old 03-29-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I feel stupid! I didn't know you had to charge the glasses. No wonder I wasn't seeing any 3D. Okay I flipped the glasses over and can see where I need to plug in to charge them. Thanks, that solves the mystery.

Maybe I will consider upgrading the glasses if I ever get more 3D content. The Panasonic glasses are not very comfortable to wear, but they will have to do for now.
Old 03-30-12, 01:03 PM

Good problem solved. Remember you can also convert any 2D content to 3D by simply pressing the 3D button on the Panasonic remote control, it won't create any out of the TV effects but it would add a nice depth to the movies. I haven't tested much conversion on different TVs but I can tell you the Panny creates a conversion that more than often simulates 3D as good as if you were playing an actual 3D movie.
Old 03-30-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the help. At least I know it is functioning normally now. I can confirm 3D works after charging the glasses.

I noticed you can do 3D conversion when I was playing around with the 3D button on the remote. I doubt that is a feature I will ever use because I prefer viewing most things in regular 2D. For me 3D is just too much of a distraction. I tried watching the Lion King last night in 3D and couldn't even make it through the complete movie. In comparison I found the regular blu-ray a much more satisfying viewing experience. It just seems it's harder to follow the movie in 3D.
Old 04-11-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
Looks like it's time to purchase a new television. My 9 year old Mitsubishi 65" RPTV died the other day and think it's time to upgrade instead of fixing it again. Since the television broke suddenly and unexpectedly I have not had much time to research what to buy. Looking for something at least 60" inches for the living room where the old set is located.
I wish my 55" Mitsubishi Rear projection TV would die. It has only one HD input and no HDMI jacks. I had to take out my bluray player the other day and move it upstairs off of the Mitsubishi TV because I just got Comcast HD which takes up the one HD input. i'm just dying to replace it with an updated model. But it has to die first.
Old 04-11-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JOE29
I wish my 55" Mitsubishi Rear projection TV would die. It has only one HD input and no HDMI jacks. I had to take out my bluray player the other day and move it upstairs off of the Mitsubishi TV because I just got Comcast HD which takes up the one HD input. i'm just dying to replace it with an updated model. But it has to die first.
I could always count on my Mitsubishi set breaking about every 3 years. I wasn't too upset the last time it broke since it gave me a good excuse to replace it.

You could get a A/V switch if you want to hook up more components to the HD input, but probably no point to do so if you're waiting for the set to die. I had to get one for my set since it only had one 1080i input and no HDMI.
Old 04-11-12, 05:54 PM

I could always count on my Mitsubishi set breaking about every 3 years. I wasn't too upset the last time it broke since it gave me a good excuse to replace it.

You could get a A/V switch if you want to hook up more components to the HD input, but probably no point to do so if you're waiting for the set to die. I had to get one for my set since it only had one 1080i input and no HDMI.
That's what i'm waiting for- my TV to die.
How would the A/V Switch work? Would I be able to hook up my bluray player along with the Comcast cable box?
Old 04-11-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How would the A/V Switch work? Would I be able to hook up my bluray player along with the Comcast cable box?
Yes, that's why I got one for my set since it only had the one component video 1080i input, and I needed something that could switch several component video sources to it. I had a PS3 and a Lite-On DVD player that can scale 1080i through component video hooked up to it. There are different ones you could get but I purchased one from a company called Audio Authority. I purchased it used since it is a bit pricey for a new one but it did exactly what I needed. It also works as a digital audio switcher, which came in handy since I was running out of digital audio connections on my pre-amp. I liked it because it did the switching automatically for video and audio.

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1154A
Old 04-13-12, 02:31 PM

Yes, that's why I got one for my set since it only had the one component video 1080i input, and I needed something that could switch several component video sources to it. I had a PS3 and a Lite-On DVD player that can scale 1080i through component video hooked up to it. There are different ones you could get but I purchased one from a company called Audio Authority. I purchased it used since it is a bit pricey for a new one but it did exactly what I needed. It also works as a digital audio switcher, which came in handy since I was running out of digital audio connections on my pre-amp. I liked it because it did the switching automatically for video and audio.

http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1154A
But will the a/v switch work if there is no HDMI input on my TV?
Old 04-13-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But will the a/v switch work if there is no HDMI input on my TV?
It should if you got one that does component video switching.