Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Multi-standard (PAL / NTSC) plasma TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Multi-standard (PAL / NTSC) plasma TV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Multi-standard (PAL / NTSC) plasma TV?

Thanks for all the input on this. A special thankyou to Mythmaker for not only understanding the problem but giving me useful product ideas.

I have a Sony blu ray megachanger that only plays US discs. My Pioneer dvd megachanger will play anything, as long as the TV will handle it. As others have said, video converters and PAL-NTSC players seemed to be a lower quality option than a TV that accepts PAL and NTSC. And I'd hate to give up the megaxhanger convenience.

I've always liked plasma - my only LCD was a disappointment. As Panasonic and Samsung appear to be the only plasmas available (at Best Buy) it looks like its going to be LCD. Vizio have been promising a 21:9 tv for some time I believe, if that becomes a reality I'd be tempted. I think the Sharp range looks best, I'll take my portable along and plug it into a couple of Sharp TVs.
Old 04-13-12, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Considering a Sony TV- anyone know if their current models support PAL or not? From what I've read it seems the TVs that don't support it do so on purpose, and it's easier for a TV to support it than not.
When I did some of my in-store testing last year (Sept/Oct 2010), the Sony LCD I tried worked with PAL over the HDMI connection. I can't speak for other connections, but I suspect it gives similar results to older Sony LCDs: PAL okay over HDMI or component, but not over composite (really only a problem if you need to hook up a PAL VCR or laserdisc player. If so, the current Sharps do handle PAL over composite).

I did not test any plasma models, so can't speak for any of those, regardless of manufacturer.

I think you'd probably be pleased with the current Sharp LED/LCD sets, though. I kinda wish I'd bought my TVs in reverse order, though (the smaller living room one in '09 and the "big room" one in '10) as that was when they were really starting to push their new 70" models (though the 60" one does look decent in the space).
Old 04-16-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

If a TV takes PAL through HDMI but not through the other inputs and you need to hook up a PAL VCR, you can do so using an upconverting HDMI receiver.
Old 04-22-12, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you find a blu-ray player that will play dvds and blu-rays from other regions ? And am I correct in thinking that you can get a player that outputs native PAL instead of converting PAL to NTSC ?
Old 04-22-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Example:
http://www.world-import.com/region_f...VD_players.htm

Google it for more stores. You should be able to find just about any combination of region free and various video output or conversion that you need.
Old 04-23-12, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Thanks. Though, for what I'd be playing, that's a lot of money. I don't have any region B/2 discs, but there are a few that aren't out over here yet.
Old 04-25-12, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Cool. Thanks. Though, for what I'd be playing, that's a lot of money. I don't have any region B/2 discs, but there are a few that aren't out over here yet.
That's dirt-cheap compared to an Oppo, although to be fair, the description says it has an "internal PAL/NTSC converter", so it may or may not output a pure, unconverted PAL picture (players like the Oppo ones are menu switchable to NTSC/PAL/MULTI).

There's a dedicated thread indicating which US-sold Blu-Ray players can handle the sometimes-tricky 1080i/50hz discs that you sometimes find in Region B (mainly, UK television shows. You can find it here.
Old 10-31-14, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
No way. A compatible TV, with no conversion needed, is (obviously) better quality than having to go through a standards conversion. I will admit some of the more top-of-the-line players, like the Oppos, do a really good conversion, it is still of lesser quality than a compatible TV (depends on your sensitivity, but even I can see a noticeable difference in picture quality when running a PAL disc through the converter in my Oppo BDP-83 versus outputting a pure, unconverted picture), and when compatible TVs are readily available in US stores (which they are, you just have to do your research), I see no good reason to recommend someone put up with an incompatible TV when for similar money they can get one that is compatible, especially if that person is like me and has an extensive collection of PAL material.

---

That said, I cannot speak for plasma sets, but there are at least some brands of LCD sets sold at retail in the US that can properly display a PAL signal, without having to do any conversion.

In my testing (and day-to-day use) Sharp Aquos sets (including the Quattrons) are 100% compatible with PAL on all inputs except for the TV antenna one, of course (it's even compatible on composite, so PAL VCR owners rejoice). I own two of these, a traditional CCFL-lit 60" panel (E88UN) and a 2011 LED-lit Quattron (LE830, I think). I also have an 4-5 year old Sony Bravia that can handle PAL over HDMI or Component (but not composite). The LG models that I tested last year were able to cope with PAL over HDMI (didn't test any other inputs) as well. Also, the discount-store brand Vizio is known for being compatible with worldwide standards.

On most of these brands, since PAL compatibility isn't high on most Americans' want list, PAL compatibility is usually undocumented (or documented incorrectly).

On the other hand, brands to avoid (if you're wanting compatibility) include Panasonic and Samsung. These companies purposely engineer their American TVs to be incompatible with PAL, presumably to discourage grey-market imports from other countries.

If you're dead-set on Plasma (or don't like the options I mentioned), you might do what I did: take your player and some PAL discs to the store and ask the salesperson if they mind you hooking up your player to test compatibility for yourself. In the 3-4 stores I went to (Sears, Best Buy, HHGregg and local TV sellers Pieratts and Barney Millers) none of them minded at all. They do want your money, after all.
Hello! Was very impressed by your expertise, and wonder if my wife and I can ask your tech advice. We are moving from Boston/USA to Crete/Greece---from NTSC system/DVDs to a PAL country. What (adapter? new system perhaps?) can we buy or bring along so that we can watch our U.S.-bought DVDs on a PAL system in Greece? We'd be extremely grateful for your advice. I hope I can find your answer here, but if possible please copy it to my email, which is [email protected] Very grateful for your time and skill! Sincerely, Dr. Jack Dempsey (ancientlights.org)