Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me out here.....what is the best $250 DVD and best $400 TV for DVD viewing?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me out here.....what is the best $250 DVD and best $400 TV for DVD viewing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-00, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the title pretty much says it all. As far as the DVD player is concerned I dont' really need much in terms of features (although I don't really know what kind of features there are), but I just want good sound and video quality.

As for the TV, what are the latest kinds of TVs in terms of image quality? I keep hearing stuff about HDTV and Wega and Plasma screens (sounds expensive), but what out of those are the best for DVD watching, and can I get any of them for around 400 dollars? As for screen size, I only need 21-25".

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-05-00, 01:13 AM

I have the Toshiba SD200 with component outputs going to my Toshiba 27" tv with component inputs. I think the quality is rather good. Probably can't get much more for the price you cited. The DVD player cost me $250 and the tv was around $230 I believe. Well, you could probably get a bigger tv.

------------------
| Marc's DVDs | Marc's Home Page | The Complete Bushisms
Old 10-05-00, 01:16 AM

wait, you got a 27" for 230 dollars? They're that cheap, really?
Old 10-06-00, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

demon, this is what I went with and I have been extremely happy with it.

Panasonic DVD-CV50 5-Disc DVD changer. $250 from www.theweb-shop.com. They might still have free shipping on it. It's great cause I can get rid of my old CD changer. A bonus is the fact that the Pany has a stunning picture. It also has a built in Dolby Digital Decoder along with all the normal outputs (coax, opt, component, svideo, LR, etc).

For the TV, I bought a 27" Sony Trinitron. It was the base model with a 3D comb filter and S-video in. I compared the S-Video in on the Sony to the component in on both a Panasonic 27" and a Toshiba 27" and found the picture to be crisper and clearer. I don't know if this is a fact of the store dvd's component output, or that Pany and Tosh had low quality component inputs. (and as you can tell, I don't favor products based on their brand...in fact I was quite wary of Sony due to there supposed build quality problems). I got it for $360 at Best Buy--the regular one, not the online one. You might want to check it out.

In my opinion, for $400, you can't get a really good quality 32" TV. Etown has a high review on a particular 32" Sharp TV, but it's still a little bit above $400 (something like $475 street I think).

Good luck and tell us your decision.
Old 10-06-00, 12:37 AM

Well believe me 27 is good enough for me. in face, 32 is getting too big. Thanx man.
Old 10-06-00, 07:37 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by demon:
Well the title pretty much says it all. As far as the DVD player is concerned I dont' really need much in terms of features (although I don't really know what kind of features there are), but I just want good sound and video quality.

As for the TV, what are the latest kinds of TVs in terms of image quality? I keep hearing stuff about HDTV and Wega and Plasma screens (sounds expensive), but what out of those are the best for DVD watching, and can I get any of them for around 400 dollars? As for screen size, I only need 21-25".

Thanks for any help!
<HR>

Sony makes the best 27" TV's out there, and they can be had for around 400, I paid 398 for my KV-27V42. I am also using a sony DVD player, the DVP-S350, which is not a bad buy at 215 or so, but I would go with a pioneer for the CD-R support.

Old 10-07-00, 12:59 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by demon:
wait, you got a 27" for 230 dollars? They're that cheap, really?<HR>

It is possible that it was $330, but I think it was $230. I purchased it from Costco with one of their coupons back in August.

------------------
| Marc's DVDs | Marc's Home Page | The Complete Bushisms
Old 10-07-00, 03:16 PM

I bought a Toshiba CZ27V51 (27", component video, PIP) last December through WorldSpy.com for $239 shipped! That same TV has since been run as an advertised special at local B&Ms for $399.

------------------
-Michael
My List