Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Bedroom TV suggestions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bedroom TV suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedroom TV suggestions

We're thinking about getting our son an HDTV for Christmas (26"-32" range) for his bedroom to replace a 19" set he has right now. I'm not set on a brand or technology, but definitely am willing to pay a tad more for reliability. Any suggestions out there? Even thought it's for a [nearly] 12 year old, I don't want to buy garbage - but I don't need to pay a premium for extra features, etc either.

With Black Friday looming, there will obviously be deals to be had. I had my eye on a Vizio 32" LED that Target has for over $100 off ($299) through tomorrow. Thoughts/experiences with Vizio? Or am I better to stick with the likes of Panasonic, Samsung, etc?

I'd like to be in the $300 (or even a little less) range. I do have a Costco membership also...

TIA!
Old 11-22-11, 12:36 PM

Re: Bedroom TV suggestions

Originally Posted by shelland
With Black Friday looming, there will obviously be deals to be had. I had my eye on a Vizio 32" LED that Target has for over $100 off ($299) through tomorrow. Thoughts/experiences with Vizio? Or am I better to stick with the likes of Panasonic, Samsung, etc?
I don't have any experience with Vizio, but the brand certainly gives off the "cheap Chinese brand for discount stores"-vibe (like Symphonic, Emerson, Westinghouse, Haier, etc).

I'd be less concerned about getting an LED set. You can have a pretty nice traditional CCFL LCD panel (i.e. a non-LED LCD) for less money than a comparably-sized LED one. That can get you back into 'trusted' names like Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, etc.

The whole idea of LED being superior to a traditionally-lit LCD is a bunch of hogwash. In fact, there's something to be said for a "mature" product like a CCFL-backlit where most or all of the kinks have been worked out. I'm not sure about price differences on the smaller sets, but I'm not so sure it's worth the price premium ($300-400 more on bigger sets) just to have edge-lit LED and a somewhat thinner panel.

Some of the traditional LCD TVs in the 32" and under sizes are 720p, but for 32" and below, the benefits of 1080p really aren't that apparent to most people.

Just some food for thought.
Old 11-22-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldnt be afraid of Vizio, they have been a top seller(volume) of flat panels for many years now. I have a 32" Vizio in the bedroom that is about 4 years old now, its been very good. Downsides are the cheaper than average remote (I dont use it, have a Harmony remote).

Both Best Buy and Walmart have a 32" Samsung 720p LCD for ~$280, that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...ef=10&slloc=01

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-32...er=lw9MynSeamY
Old 11-22-11, 03:22 PM

By no means am I sold on any particular technology. I happen to own an RPTV, LCD-RP and plasma already. The reason I had my eye on the Vizio LED at Target is the price point - being $300 and over $100 off. This happens to be 1080p, but I realize that's not going to make much difference at this size. While I don't own any Vizio, the little I've read about them in the past has been relatively good.

Here's the specific model: http://www.target.com/p/VIZIO-32-Cla...V/-/A-12735419

Again, it's for a kid's bedroom, so he's not going to have a critical eye by any means. But I want to be able to rely on it. I could easily be convinced to sway from both the brand and the technology.

All feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks guys.
Old 11-22-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would personally choose the Target Vizio for $300 over the samsung I linked, way more inputs, its a better tv.
Old 11-23-11, 09:33 AM

There are no Target's that have the above mentioned Vizio in stock in the Minneapolis metro - so that's now out of the picture. Yesterday I wasn't craving that particular TV, but now that I can't have it I'm disappointed.

So suggestions are back in play.
Old 11-23-11, 10:43 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Here's an unasked for suggestion: don't get a TV for your bedroom.

I haven't had a TV in my bedroom since 2002 and it's made my life better. Better and more sleep, quicker wake-up and go-to-bed ritual, more reading, and less mindless channel surfing. When my wife and I got together I told her I wanted to continue this and she was all for it. We have time together at the end of the day without the distraction of TV and it's great. We're using an arm's reach co-sleeper for our newborn, a bassinet that attaches to the side of the bed, and I can't imagine trying to sooth a newborn with the TV on in the room.

I once heard rooms have their purpose. Kitchen for cooking, dining room for dining, etc. I say the bedroom is just that - the room with the bed, not the second living room.
Old 11-23-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
There are no Target's that have the above mentioned Vizio in stock in the Minneapolis metro - so that's now out of the picture. Yesterday I wasn't craving that particular TV, but now that I can't have it I'm disappointed.

So suggestions are back in play.
Here is a Sharp that is pretty good from Amazon for $280 has more inputs than the previous Samsung plus no tax/free ship.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC32SV29...2068941&sr=1-2

The only other thought I have is that if you son is PS3 player, Sony recently released a 3D panel specifically for the PS3 includes 3D glasses and a game. I think its a 24" but its closer to $500.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3D...2069169&sr=8-1
Old 11-23-11, 12:11 PM

I missed that this is for your son's bedroom. For whatever reason, I'm more okay with that (as if you need my permission or something). Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-24-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
The whole idea of LED being superior to a traditionally-lit LCD is a bunch of hogwash. In fact, there's something to be said for a "mature" product like a CCFL-backlit where most or all of the kinks have been worked out.
I had to comment on this. Edgelit LED are basically the same thing as CCFLs, and you are correct about them. But the more expensive full-back-lit LEDs (Samsung D series, for instance) have local dimming tech that can theoretically give better blacks than even plasma by changing the light output for partial areas of the screen independently. Sharp is supposedly coming out with models (maybe already did) that have even smaller areas of independent lighting, which would provide even better picture. This was the whole point of LED, and it is finally coming around. Although not cheap, yet.

Doesn't help with the 32" discussion, though. I would shop for needed features (# of inputs, etc), and viewing angle. This is how I bought my Panny 32", which was great, right up until my 12 yo smashed it with a broom. I stood at Costco at an angle to all the TVs, and bought the one that didn't change colors from the side. My dad's 40" midrange Bravia looks like shit from even 45deg to the side.
Old 11-24-11, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I missed that this is for your son's bedroom. For whatever reason, I'm more okay with that (as if you need my permission or something). Good luck with your purchase.
That's OK, we already have a 42" Panny plasma hanging in our bedroom.
Old 11-24-11, 05:43 PM

Oh. You don't have my permission for that. Get rid of it.

Old 11-24-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shop.panasonic.com is offering employee pricing this week. Several 32" LCDs in the $300 range.
Old 11-24-11, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cseyer
Shop.panasonic.com is offering employee pricing this week. Several 32" LCDs in the $300 range.
Normally I wouldn't have any issues going that route. But since it's a Christmas present I can't have it shipped home, and I really don't want to have something that big shipped to work. Several places have a Black Friday deal on a Samsung LCD for $277 that I think I'm going to check out.

I still appreciate all the input - thank you!