Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

oppo 83 no region free anymore?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
From today I am the lucky owner of a region free Oppe 83. Or I should say I should be.

I bought this almost 2-year old player from a guy who was very close to regret having it to sale and I had almost to tear it off from his hands. Fortunatly it succeded for me to get home with the player just using economics measures and almost with no violence :-)

The player should be both DVD and Blu Ray region free out of the box. But with the first dvd from Europe I tried I got a message saying "wrong region"!. Strange since the player is bought here in Denmark so at least should this be the right region. But the player should do all regions it should only be necesary to press "1", "2" or "3" when using different regions blu rays. I tried other dvd regions and there was no problem playing them.

I downloaded and installed the last official firmware but it did not help.
I have not tried any blue ray yet (since I do not have any)

Does anyone can give me a an idea of why my player is not capable of playing all DVD-regions anymore?
Old 11-20-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: oppo 83 no region free anymore?

Originally Posted by Darden
The player should be both DVD and Blu Ray region free out of the box.
No, it shouldn't. At least the players sold in the U.S. are not. They require a hardware modification to make them region free.

The hardware mod is easy enough to do and takes less than 10 minutes. No soldering involved. If you know how to use a screwdriver you're good to go.

The mod kit can be found here.

Edited to add:

Just to be clear in case your player has been modified, to change regions you do this:

With the player turned off, press and hold the red button (to change DVD region) or blue button (to change Blu-ray zone) on the remote control until you hear a beep. Then press 0-6 to set the DVD region, or 1-3 to set Blu-ray zone.
Old 11-21-11, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: oppo 83 no region free anymore?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Just to be clear in case your player has been modified, to change regions you do this:

With the player turned off, press and hold the red button (to change DVD region) or blue button (to change Blu-ray zone) on the remote control until you hear a beep. Then press 0-6 to set the DVD region, or 1-3 to set Blu-ray zone.
Actually, there are a couple of different hardware mods that operate in slightly different ways. I thought they were all the same until I bought my second BDP-83 and had to buy my own mod to go with it.

The pre-installed mod in my original player operates the same way as you describe above. For the new one, you press a different button on the upper part of the remote (not one of the colored ones) and the number of times you press the button determines the region (press once for 1, twice for 2, etc.).

If he buys his own mod, it should include instructions, of course.