Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Proper Subwoofer set up???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Proper Subwoofer set up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-00, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

I bought a new sub today, and was just curious about how to set it up. It has three knobs on the back
Crossover
Volume
and Phase (two choices Nor and Rev)

Anyone know how I should set this to get the best effect, w/o blowing my house up?
Old 10-05-00, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll try to help you with this one by answering each item in turn.
The crossover: This is the component that tells the sub at which frequency to start working. Typically, 80 Hz is a good setting, but it depends on your main speakers. If they have a good deal of bass output, you could go to a lower frequency. Also: if you're using the "Subwoofer Out" connection on the back of your receiver, you should (if you can with your sub) turn off the subwoofer crossover. This avoids having a cascading crossover point, which will drastically reduce the bass output.

Volume: This one is entirely up to you, your neighbors, and possibly your significant other. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. There really isn't a definitive set point. A good rule of thumb, though, is that you should not be able to localize the speaker. If you can tell where the sound is coming from, (from the sub) it's probably too loud with respect to your other speakers.

Phase: Again, this one has to be set by trial and error. Set the switch in one position, and give the system a listen. If you don't think there's enough bass, switch it to the other one. If the bass output is improved, you've done the right thing. The phase switch compensates for the long wavelengths of low frequency sound by altering the phase of the signal by 180 degrees. When sound waves (of the same frequency) are out of phase with each other the sound level in your room will appear to go down or get more quiet. If they're in phase, they sound louder. So, the phase switch helps to eliminate phase cancelling of bass frequencies, which is a common problem in home stereos.

whew........a bit long...
hope that helps, though!

------------------
Whadda you say, honey? Feeling stupid? I know I am! -Homer Simpson, American Hero
DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?

[This message has been edited by edclem (edited October 05, 2000).]
Old 10-05-00, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you.

I cannot turn my crossover off. BUT, I do have a decent set of fronts(Polk RT800s), which have decent bass. I'll have to experiment I guess.

Thanks