Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this YAMAHA system any good and some general questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can anyone please tell me if this Home Theater system is good(by looking at the specs)? I’ve been searching for reviews of it and it just seems to not exist anywhere, maybe it’s brand new? Is Yamaha a good brand?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...71ce610f7den02

It’s 400$ down from 600$ that’s why I’m really interested. There are other systems for 400$ but none has such a BIG discount...

Also I really want an HDMI system that only has ONE HDMI cable running to the TV. For video and audio and my PS3 and cable box be plugged into the receiver and I’m able to switch the video AND the audio with the different outputs. Does this make any sense?

I want an entry level system that’s under 500$ I live in an upstairs apartment so i don’t need anything really crazy loud and expensive.
Old 09-23-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Is this YAMAHA system any good and some general questions

I've never really been a fan of the prepackaged systems. It looks decent enough if you dont have pseakers, and dont need anything above 5.1. I am actually in the market for a new receiver, and have had the Yamaha A700 and the Onkyo 609 recommended to me multiple times. Both are 7.2 receivers, with 1.4 HDMI inputs and output. Both can be had for about $360. Onkyo will do 100 W a channel, and the A700 will do 90 I think. I know the A700 is last years model, the new one is the A710. Of course if you dont need 7.2 and/or dont have sepakers already, the bundle might be the way to go. I have only owned Yamaha speakers before. They are nice, but by no means spectacular. Good speakers means big money, but they are decent for the money. Right now I am heavily leaning towards the Yamaha receiver.
Old 09-24-11, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, doing some research on the actual receiver that comes with the package (RX-V371) and there's alot of positive reviews of the receiver itself! And right now the receiver itself is sold at around 250$ So for an extra 150$ i get all my speakers and sub (which i know aren't great) to tide me over until if i decide to upgrade(i assume i can right?)

I live in an upstairs apartment and my living room is not quite big and for 4 years I've been watching movies and playing video games with the built in speakers from my 40inch Samsung TV. So at this point anything is good right? :P
Old 09-25-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Yeah, doing some research on the actual receiver that comes with the package (RX-V371) and there's alot of positive reviews of the receiver itself! And right now the receiver itself is sold at around 250$ So for an extra 150$ i get all my speakers and sub (which i know aren't great) to tide me over until if i decide to upgrade(i assume i can right?)

I live in an upstairs apartment and my living room is not quite big and for 4 years I've been watching movies and playing video games with the built in speakers from my 40inch Samsung TV. So at this point anything is good right? :P
Yeah, i see the logic there. This package will definitely sound better than what you are used to, but will not be as good as something that costs more. For a bedroom or other small room it would be fine, but if you get a bigger place in the future, you would need to upgrade. Lots of folks are reporting that there are some killer clearance deals at Best Buy on some higher end receivers at Best Buy lately. May be worth a look.
Old 09-26-11, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have just gotten a lemon when I bought a Yamaha system about four years ago, but the one I got died about three months after the warranty was over. Replaced it with a Denon, no problems with it... yet anyway.

The experience forever burned me from ever buying Yamaha again. You spend almost $600 on a system, you kinda expect it to last longer than around 27 months.

Last edited by Albert71292; 09-26-11 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-26-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Albert71292
I may have just gotten a lemon when I bought a Yamaha system about four years ago, but the one I got died about three months after the warranty was over. Replaced it with a Denon, no problems with it... yet anyway.

The experience forever burned me from ever buying Yamaha again. You spend almost $600 on a system, you kinda expect it to last longer than around 27 months.
That's too bad. I've had two Yammy's for several years and they still work great.
Old 09-26-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Albert71292

That's surprising. No receiver should die that fast, regardless. I had a Yamaha once, sold it after 8 or 10 years, may still be working. And my current Onkyo is a decade old, too.