Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony announces head-mounted personal HD & 3D viewer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Sony is ushering in the future (the one we imagined in the 90s) with a new head-mounted "personal viewer" that allows users to enjoy an immersive experience when watching movies, playing video games and listening to music. The HMZ-T1, which resembles something between a pair of futuristic goggles and a visor, will feature two 0.7-inch, 720p displays in the headset supporting 2D or 3D high-definition visuals and 5.1 surround sound.

Sony says it has optimized the integrated lenses to give users a wide 45-degree view, eliminating much of the borders surrounding the integrated OLED displays, and simulating a 750-inch cinema screenm . The headset comes with a separate processor unit that uses a normal HDMI connection, allowing you to connect any HDMI device to the HMZ-T1. This means it will work with game consoles, a cable box, a Blu-ray player or even your computer.

Headphones are also built in the device with support for four modes: standard, cinema, game, and music.

Scott Lowe from IGN got some hands on time with the HMZ-T1 and apparently, after dealing with the setup process, it actually worked very well: "Instead of presenting users with a low-resolution, low-fidelity visuals, the HMZ-T1 actually rivals a full-sized HDTV in terms of picture quality. The quality of the dual OLED displays also makes 3D particularly effective. Since you're presented with a dedicated display for each of your left and right eye -- and because they are high-quality OLED screens -- the unsavory effects of stereoscopic video, like blurring, ghosting, and eye strain, are reduced."

Sony will be showing the headset off at IFA 2011 this week and expects to begin sales in Japan as early as November for around ¥60,000 ($783). Release information and prices for other markets are not available for now.

http://www.techspot.com/news/45299-s...3d-viewer.html

I'm usually not into these new tech till a new model or price drop but the 750 inch screen has me interested.
Old 09-02-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sony announces head-mounted personal HD & 3D viewer

Neat. The "750 inch screen" just means they measured for a distance where you would watch a 750" screen. They could just as well have said "Frank's 2000" TV", measuring even farther away.

This is probably an excellent use of OLED. In the contained area, OLED's bad side should not come up, giving a great pic.

Calc:
.7" screen size
.91" distance from eye to screen (corner of screen)

So:
750" screen
980" from eye, or 81.7' away.
Not exactly living room dimensions.

Here's with my fairly large screen, a more normal comparison:
90" screen
120" from eye or 10'
That's about 2.5' closer than my normal viewing, but the kids generally sit even closer.
Old 09-02-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit, my interest is piqued...
Old 09-02-11, 10:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This article seems appropriate. I have to agree. Goggles? Really?

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-to-mediocrity
Old 09-02-11, 10:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This is great. I can wear this, put my PS3 in a backpack, and play Uncharted on the bus!