Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

help me connect my new Blu-Ray player to my old DVD home

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there

in 2008 i bought this system

http://www.sony.co.in/product/dav-dz556kb/sku/davdz556kb%252Fce12?site=hp_en_IN_i

now i have this Blu-Ray player and i'm trying to connect it to the my older DVD system so i can have the audio through the speakers but i don't know which cable to use....

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ra...layer/bdp-s480

please look at the pix carefully before you reply.

here's some pix of the older DVD system

and here's the the pic for the new Blu-ray player

so how? what cable to use?
Old 08-12-11, 05:26 PM

Re: help me connect my new Blu-Ray player to my old DVD home

Take your red and white cable and plug it into the respective ports on the Line Out row on your blu ray player. Plug the red and white in the respective ports on the audio in row on your dvd player. Your picture shows you have the red cable plugged into the red video component out, you'll need to move that to the red port next to the white port in the audio in section.

Set your dvd player to input mode and you should be able to hear sound from the blu ray player.
Old 08-12-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alexkat
Take your red and white cable and plug it into the respective ports on the Line Out row on your blu ray player. Plug the red and white in the respective ports on the audio in row on your dvd player. Your picture shows you have the red cable plugged into the red video component out, you'll need to move that to the red port next to the white port in the audio in section.

Set your dvd player to input mode and you should be able to hear sound from the blu ray player.
but the red and the white cable you see in the pix are for connecting the DVD player to the TV!
Old 08-12-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What kind of TV do you have? You are using composite video from the DVDp, when you could be using HDMI to get higher quality picture if it is an HDTV. And if it is not HD, why did you buy a BDp?

The solution for getting both TV audio and BDp audio into your DVD system is an external switcher. Like this, which learns to switch with whatever remote button you want, I believe.
Old 08-13-11, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
What kind of TV do you have? You are using composite video from the DVDp, when you could be using HDMI to get higher quality picture if it is an HDTV. And if it is not HD, why did you buy a BDp?

The solution for getting both TV audio and BDp audio into your DVD system is an external switcher. Like this, which learns to switch with whatever remote button you want, I believe.

yeah i need to use an HDMI cable to connect the DVD player to the TV but it didn't come with an HDMI cable when i first bought it.

that's not the question...the question is how do you connect the Blu-ray player to the DVD player..i don't get the switcher idea...i'm supposed to use a cable i'm just not sure which i guess.
Old 08-13-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

The problem with a DVDplayer/receiver combo is you're very limited in INPUTS.

Use HDMI cable from Blu-ray player to TV for video. For audio through speakers connect red/white cables from Blu-ray Audio OUT to DVDplayer Audio IN (which will essentially become your "audio player"). Not sure if this will work since I've been HDMI for a while.

If you need more audio inputs you will have to share the Audio IN of your DVDplayer which is why Spiky suggested the switch.
Old 08-13-11, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
but the red and the white cable you see in the pix are for connecting the DVD player to the TV!
Are you using the DVD player for tv audio? If so you don't have enough inputs for DVD, tv and blu ray audio without a switching device. If you can live with using tv speakers for tv audio then connect red and white audio out from blu ray to red and white audio in on DVD. DVD system will do audio for DVD and blu ray only.
Old 08-13-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
yeah i need to use an HDMI cable to connect the DVD player to the TV but it didn't come with an HDMI cable when i first bought it.

that's not the question...
I know. But it's an answer that would benefit you. Just like the earlier one by alexkat about using the proper Red connection on the back of your DVD unit. We run a full service shop here, and check your other fluids while changing the oil. Just in case.
the question is how do you connect the Blu-ray player to the DVD player..i don't get the switcher idea...i'm supposed to use a cable i'm just not sure which i guess.
You run from the TV output into the switch input.
You run from the BDp output into the switch input.
You run from the switch output into the DVDp input.

That will give you all the options you want, to run audio from all three devices through your speakers. As to cables, you use standard red/white audio cables, just like the one in your pictures. You would need 2 more of them. The website I linked sells decent ones at ridiculously low prices. Highly recommended.

Some switches are simple push button devices where you have to walk up to the switch and push a button on the box itself, and that would work. But to make it easier, there are switches that are remote controlled. And some of these can be programmed to switch with any remote button you want, rather than just using their own remote. So you program it to change to BD when you press the BDp's Power or Play button, that way the audio will be ready without extra effort. Similar for listening to the TV. I think the one I linked does this, but not 100% positive.
Old 08-16-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Uh, I find it disturbing that anyone is suggesting using the "red and white" audio jacks, as anyone should know those only provide 2-channel sound! There's a funny error with the hookup pictured too, even if you ignore the composite video hookup.
Old 08-16-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think there is a difference between recommending and explaining. There is no digital input on that device.
Old 08-16-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Uh, I find it disturbing that anyone is suggesting using the "red and white" audio jacks, as anyone should know those only provide 2-channel sound!
I would find it more disturbing for anyone to suggest anything else, given that it appears that's the only option on that component.

There's a funny error with the hookup pictured too, even if you ignore the composite video hookup.
Yes, there is. Why didn't you explain it when you noticed it?

The error is that the white audio cable is hooked to the correct audio output, but the red audio cable is hooked to the red component video jack, not audio at all. So all this time the OP has been getting mono sound from his TV speakers without noticing it.

I'm still trying to fathom why the OP is using analog video and audio outputs, and the crappiest ones available, rather than the digital HDMI output that's available right there on the back of the DVD system. "It didn't come with a cable" is no excuse when you can buy one for less than $5.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-17-11 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 08:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Stuff like this always makes me wonder how many people out there buy big fancy HDTVs and then hook it up with composite video and mono audio and somehow never notice that something's wrong.
Old 08-25-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by SubZeri
Stuff like this always makes me wonder how many people out there buy big fancy HDTVs and then hook it up with composite video and mono audio and somehow never notice that something's wrong.
I think there's quite a number of people who hook up their devices with only the cables that come with their equipment. If that's composite cables, then that's what will get used.
Old 08-26-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or the cables that came with their prior TV and are already sitting there. (maybe 3 TVs ago)
Old 08-29-11, 04:31 AM

When TVs with A/V inputs were first coming out, people would still connect their VCRs using the RF connection. Many people also bought TVs with stereo sound but used mono VCRs with them, so off-air TV was in stereo but any tapes played back were in mono. That was when I realized there were people who are too stupid to live.
Old 08-29-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Many people also bought TVs with stereo sound but used mono VCRs with them, so off-air TV was in stereo but any tapes played back were in mono. That was when I realized there were people who are too stupid to live.
It's a little harsh if not outright elitist to criticize someone for using a mono VCR with a stereo TV. The improvement in audio quality using a TV's built-in speakers was minimal without upgrading to VHS-HiFi and an external sound system.
Old 08-30-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's a little harsh if not outright elitist to criticize someone for using a mono VCR with a stereo TV. The improvement in audio quality using a TV's built-in speakers was minimal without upgrading to VHS-HiFi and an external sound system.
I think it's more about criticizing people for thinking they are upgrading when they are downgrading. Esp those that go brag about it.

"Come look at my 60" TV with x & y & z features!" (that I am not even using since I don't know how to turn the beast on)
Old 09-03-11, 04:08 PM

It's a little harsh if not outright elitist
Sounds good to me