Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I just ordered a Passive 3D TV (LG 47LW5600)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I just ordered a Passive 3D TV (LG 47LW5600)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: I just ordered a Passive 3D TV (LG 47LW5600)

I just ordered the 65" passive model (LG) last night. If all goes as planned it should be here by Friday. Meanwhile, I needs to get me some movies.
Old 10-12-11, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Let
Ask

None of those actions stop theft. Probably why it costs so frickin' much for a movie these days.
Uh, no. Not theft. You pay for the glasses when you buy your ticket. They belong to you. They ask for the glasses afterward to "recycle" them. You are free to keep them should you desire.
Old 10-12-11, 08:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
6 and Megamind 3-D and the 4 Shrek Movies in 3-D. But I did pay 2.5x more than you.

The point was, don't most of these sets just come with the glasses. Also checking e-bay they are going for $40-60 new. Only rubes buy the sticker price ones in the stores, like monster cables.

I must admit to also having the 3-D Bug

Currently:
Megamind
Shrek 1-4
The Green Hornet
Tron Legacy
Piranha 3-D
Resident Evil Afterlife

Priest worth getting? It seems to have been universally panned. Also Amazon has it down for review...
watch the ending of 'Despicable Me' that has very inventive (and funny) 3D effects

'Grand Canyon Adventures: River at Risk' and 'The Ultimate Wave: Tahiti' - released in and shot in 3D IMAX has amazing 3D effects.

Last edited by Giles; 10-12-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I'm really thinking about buying the Vizio e3d420xv its got great reviews and can be had at amazon for $629 shipped.

I have an older Samsung 40" 1080I set so this would get me to 1080p and 3D for $600 I think I will buy for the bedroom in the upcoming weeks.

Now I need to look for a good inexpensive 3D blu ray for the bedroom and put my Samsung 1500 in the third room.
Old 10-19-11, 04:18 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the 55" LG 3D set (had the 47" package deal, but returned it when the 55 went on sale the following week).

Very happy with the set overall. Only have one 3D blu-ray (Lion King) but have watched plenty of the Directv 3D channels as well as a few PS3 games that support 3D. I'm also using the Real3D glasses we have accumulated over the years. I'm also using my cheap monoprice HDMI cables (not 1.4 spec).

I got into an argument with one of the clowns at Best Buy over "3D" HDMI cables that I HAD to use or it wouldn't work. So, as not to support ignorance, I ended up with an even better deal at Fry's.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, but the simulated 3D effect that can be applied to any source can be pretty darned impressive depending on the source and the cinematography. Some movies still looked flat, but others really popped with the added depth.
Old 10-23-11, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I was able to snag a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 for $129 shipped. I went to see the Thing last week and dipped into the 3D recycle boxes and got like 12 pairs of real 3D glasses
Old 10-27-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I just ordered the 65" passive model (LG) last night. If all goes as planned it should be here by Friday. Meanwhile, I needs to get me some movies.
How do you like it? I was considering that TV (6500?), but read that the 65" panels were pretty reflective, rather than the matte finish of the smaller panels.
Old 10-28-11, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by andicus
How do you like it? I was considering that TV (6500?), but read that the 65" panels were pretty reflective, rather than the matte finish of the smaller panels.
I love it so far. The reflective surface doesn't bother me all that much as my previous TV was a plasma, which also had a reflective surface. It's something you just get used to; however, what helps in my case is that it's in my basement and doesn't see very much light. Otherwise, I could easily see how it'd be a problem for someone.
Old 10-28-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, yes. If it was going in my basement, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's for an upstairs room with a lot of windows.

Glad you're enjoying it. Thanks!
Old 11-26-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I love the idea of the passive 3D tech, I am more concerned about the reported lag time of FPS games. Are there certain TVs that do this better than otherss? Can anybody comment on this? I am looking for a solid 2D image and something that can offer a stunning PQ for PS3 games.
Old 11-28-11, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
While I love the idea of the passive 3D tech, I am more concerned about the reported lag time of FPS games. Are there certain TVs that do this better than otherss? Can anybody comment on this? I am looking for a solid 2D image and something that can offer a stunning PQ for PS3 games.
My son is a gamer and he played COD:BO on my LG 3D set with no game lag whatsoever.

And I'd just like to add...damn this TV has a great 2D picture. Every BD that I've thrown at it has looked nothing less than stellar...even the 1st edition of Gangs of NY!
Old 07-24-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
I love it so far. The reflective surface doesn't bother me all that much as my previous TV was a plasma, which also had a reflective surface. It's something you just get used to; however, what helps in my case is that it's in my basement and doesn't see very much light. Otherwise, I could easily see how it'd be a problem for someone.
So, I ended up picking up the 65LW6500 on the weekend. I was debating getting one of the new crop LG's but this 65" was only slightly more than what I would've paid for a similarly featured 55".

Regarding features, did yours come with local dimming already enabled? Looks like I would have to enable mine via the service menu. I'm hesitant as I'd hate to jeopardize the warranty, thought it's possible that it would not, unless I actually did something in the service menu to damage the tv. I wouldn't...

Regardless, I'm loving this TV so far. It's pretty damn big!
Old 08-15-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am in the same boat, trying to figure out if I want to risk the warranty by turning on local dimming. Last week I bought an LG 55LM6200 and apparently there is a roundabout way of getting in to the service menu. However, so far from what I have read over in AVS, the difference between having it on and off is minimal. So I am leaning towards not doing it.

I love the tv by the way. The picture is stunning in 2D and the 3D is simply awesome. I have watched a ton of movies already and even played a couple 3D game demos. I am very pleased with it so far. My only complaint is that there is a lot of light bleed coming form the corners. Apparently if I massage it (do i need special oils and lit candles for this?) and loosen the screws in the back, this will reduce some of the problem. Even if it stays this way, I only notice it when the screen is all black or in very dark scenes and it is not that big of a deal for me. Probably something to expect with every edge lit LED....
Old 08-18-12, 04:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Came to this forum to get TV buying advice, leaning towards a Samsung 3D, but wow, it seems like we're largely dead in this subforum. I hate going to other forums though.....
Old 08-18-12, 05:08 PM

okay, i'm extremely confused. what's better? i've read that active is better?
Old 08-18-12, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Grn_Str_Movies
okay, i'm extremely confused. what's better? i've read that active is better?
I can't speak to active, but I know this about my passive:

1. It's cheaper than active models.
2. Glasses are significantly cheaper. Plus, if you wear eyeglasses you can buy clip-on lenses rather than wear the TV's glasses over top. And, you needn't recharge the glasses.
3. It has a beautiful picture.
4. It's played everything I've thrown at it - i.e. there aren't movies that only play on active.
5. I don't get the headaches that owners of active models talk about getting after watching 3D for an extended period of time.