Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking about buying my first projector

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my DLP is starting to act up on me (just a month out of the extended warranty – go figure) so I’m thinking about moving it upstairs and buying our first ever projector. I have to admit, I don’t know a whole lot of what to look for, so I’m looking for some advice. I plan on installing it with a ceiling mount and our couch will be about 8 feet from the screen (maybe a little more or less if needed). I’m looking to spend at or under $2k. I’ve only researched for a couple hours, but so far I’ve read some pretty good stuff on Mitsubishi (HC4000), Panasonic (AE4000), and Epson (8350 & 8700UB). Also looking for places to buy (in store and online) and any input on the whole DLP vs LCD differences or issues. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.
Old 04-24-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thinking about buying my first projector

Those are all good projectors, from what I know. DLP vs LCD isn't so much of a topic, anymore. DLP has a distinct visual artifact that bothers a small percentage of people, but if you can handle a rear projection DLP, then you can handle front projection. And the Mits will be much cheaper than the LCDs you listed.

One key difference is the throw angle. (height of projector vs height of screen) The Mits will have to be placed above the screen to get the proper angle, while the LCDs will have much more flexibility and would likely need to be placed within the screen's height. Depending on your room, this may become an important factor. Also, throw distance. (distance from lens to screen) You described a pretty short room if that couch is near the back wall, you will need to check distances carefully when shopping, some projectors simply can't fit in certain spaces.

Projectors will have a feature called Keystone, you want to avoid using it. This warps the picture in case you can't get a proper height with your setup. Instead, make sure you can use the proper, native height, and don't mess up your picture quality with keystoning.

Projectorcentral.com is a decent place for reviews, and I think they have placement calculators, also. Those can help you with your shopping in light of the issues I mentioned. Basically, it is a lot of thinking and planning to get a projector. Anybody can throw a 50" TV on a wall, but arranging for a 9' screen, projector placement, and wiring takes actual work....It's worth it.

Are you planning to buy a screen or forge your own?
Old 04-24-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't really thought about the screen yet. I would probably have to buy one or use that paint on the wall that others have done.

And my room is much bigger. That is just the space I was trying to work with fitting in the projector, but I have plenty of room to mess around with if needed (25x20x8).
Old 04-24-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm looking that that Mit as a potential for my next projector.

Your likely going to have to buy on line. Few stores I'm aware carry them and even fewer have a benefit to buy from them. At least the one's in your budget.

IMO, you do need to think about screen and projector at the same time. As Spiky says it is all about throw angle and zoom. No it is not overly complicated. It is simple and only something you have to do once. Having lens shift does indeed make it easier. However, it is a feature you only use once and eliminates a lot of other good projectors. Sure you may have the very odd set up that requires it (like if you want to shelf mount high behind you). But if you measure carefully for your distance for your ceiling height for the size screen you want ant, you will find a nice projector that will work without lens shift.
Old 04-24-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some research this week about throw angle and zoom and make some final measurements to see what fits best. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-11, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8' dimension could be an issue. The inexpensive DLPs like the Mits have outrageous height offsets.
Old 04-25-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I got my first projector about a month ago, the epson ex71 and couldn't be more happier. Definitely go for it.
Old 04-25-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
The 8' dimension could be an issue. The inexpensive DLPs like the Mits have outrageous height offsets.
My HD70 has 33% offset and I just made it work w/my 8' ceiling. But it was tight. I had to make a very low profile mount for it.

The newer HD20 is only 15% I believe.

And I haven't seen a number on the HC4000 but the HC3800 was 29%.

Had I built my rear row riser a little higher, I would have been in better shape. I should have made it two steps up instead of one.