Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help on new TV Purchase

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a new television. I've browsed around but there are really just too many to choose from. If you guys had a budget of no more than $1500 and were looking to get something in the 40"-55" range what are the best options out there?

It seems like you can get a larger plasma for the best price. Best Buy has this tv here but they have a similar 3d model for $899.99 that's only 720p. I've read somewhere that only on Televisions 55" or higher is 1080p really noticeable. I also see where on the website it says 60hz but in store its really 600hz.

My uses for the tv are ps3 gaming, movies and normal tv shows not much sports or anything. It also doesn't HAVE to be 3D but would be nice to make that leap with my new tv purchase.

Any help or opinions are appreciated.
Old 04-10-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Need help on new TV Purchase

A couple comments:

Please try to ignore the "600Hz sub-field" marketing for plasmas. They are simply trying to compete (in marketing) with LCDs that say 120Hz, 240Hz, etc. by making up a way to get that high number. It is NOT the scan rate of the TV in normal terms of scan rates. The 3D models are now 120Hz to provide 3D with the modern 3D shutter tech, non-3D models would be 60Hz. (I think that means 3D models are really 1200Hz sub-field, marketing double-fail) Regardless, plasma does not require ever-increasing Hz rates as LCD does. It has a smooth picture without the higher rates.

I personally would buy 1080 at 50". There are enough reasons to do so, IMO. Although price can be a major factor to anyone, of course.

Panasonic G series plasma is the best pic I've seen with current models of any flat screen. You can find the previous generation 50" 3D model in your price range on Amazon, G25 or similar is how the model number ends. There's also the S series, which would be cheaper.
Old 04-11-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

GT25 is the previous year's panasonic 3D model. I got a 50 inch one a couple weeks ago from amazon for $998 shipped but last time i looked they were out of them, but some other places might still have them for cheap since this years models are out now. Its an amazing TV
Old 04-12-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Please try to ignore the "600Hz sub-field" marketing for plasmas. They are simply trying to compete (in marketing) with LCDs that say 120Hz, 240Hz, etc. by making up a way to get that high number.
It's not exactly made up, but it's not really relevant to the average viewer:
http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...onse-time.html
this 600Hz in plasma has noting to do with actual video frame rate. Instead, this 600Hz sub-field motion is a process whereby each pixel in the plasma display is flashed 10 times every frame - leading to 600Hz flash rate with 60Hz frame rate content. According to TV makers, this should lead to the best realization of fast action content on any HDTV. Nevertheless, many experts would tell you to simply ignore this 600Hz altogether as the eye would not perceive the resultant improvement in the case of plasmas (you see, unlike LCDs, plasmas are generally inherently not susceptible to blurring)
However, the 60Hz refresh rate can cause judder on when displaying films (which have a framerate of 24fps, which doesn't divide into 60hz well). Some plasmas have a mode specifically for 24fps material:
In fact, top 600Hz sub-field motion plasmas plasmas such as the Panasonic V25 and Samsung C8000 use 96Hz frame rate while LG's PK950 series uses 72Hz refresh rate processing to eliminating judder with 24p content. This means that each movie frame is repeated four times in the case of 96Hz systems and 3 times in the case of 72Hz processing - leading to a judder free processing.
No idea if the Samsung in the OP does this. Also, I'm confused on how it's able to display HD if it's only 60hz. With active glasses, that would split the refresh to each eye down to 30hz, which I would think would cause a noticeable flicker.
Old 04-12-11, 09:09 PM

What do you guys think about this tv?

Sony Bravia 40" 3D LED LCD TV

It's a bit smaller than what I was looking for but I could have it for $950 shipped and it comes with two sets of glasses. I just cannot find any information on the actual model number it seems like it barely existed which makes me hesitant.
Old 04-12-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not exactly made up, but it's not really relevant to the average viewer:
Yeah, sorry. Ranting brings out interesting terms.