Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Tivo, where are the savings?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo, where are the savings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tivo, where are the savings?

Originally Posted by Spiky
And I don't think you know what their DVRs do, either. DirecTV even has an internet community that does extra things with beta features and whatever, although it isn't as wide open as Tivo's.
I am aware. Tivo also has a beta community which I'm a part of. You are correct, it's not as wide open as Tivo, nor does it do nearly as much. Nothing I said was false, so I don't see how you can throw around "fanboy" without giving off the impression that conversing with you is pointless.
Old 02-07-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good god. Don't worry, I'll never fucking compare Tivo to anything again.
Old 02-08-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

Satellite is cheap until your initial period is over and they jack the price up. I pay about half the price for cable than I would for sat, simply because whenever the price goes up, you can go into the office, say the price has gone up too much, and to keep you as a customer, they'll reduce the price to what you were paying or only a couple dollars higher.

I can't speak to Dish network but you can often do this over the phone with DirecTV pretty easily. Hell, you can even find scripts on line for who to ask for/what to say to get the right person/response.

I've done it but hate acting like I am going to leave when I know damn well I won't (due to Sunday Ticket, which they have me over a barrel with).
Old 02-08-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
My bill for Charter basic, with HD locals, is $20. With satellite, it was HD for life with a contract, or a monthly fee. I can do Charter expanded basic for cheaper than Satellite too by the time they tack on HD, DVR fees, whole house DVR, etc.
Charter is one of the worst companies (period, not just TV providers) I've ever dealt with. No amount of savings would convince me to ever get TV service from them again.
Old 02-08-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
Charter is one of the worst companies (period, not just TV providers) I've ever dealt with. No amount of savings would convince me to ever get TV service from them again.
I agree, their customer service is terrible. Once I had no cable or internet for about a month and no one would tell me when they would come out and drill a new line under the road. Plus they just showed up one day with a giant drill truck, put railroad ties in my yard to brace it, and started drilling without even ever telling me (woke me up since I was on nightshift). Then they left the rail buried in the yard when they left. That's just one story. I saw them make a top-10 worst customer service list recently.

But hey, my wife accidentally had Dish pick up the wrong box when I returned our VIP622 DVRs. One of the boxes had our DVD player / HD receiver combo unit in it. They promised to try to get it sent back to me.

Never did get it back from Dish despite calling them mere hours later. It went into their warehouse somewhere and never came back to me. I assume a Dish employee took it home. And before that, I had some standard non-DVR receivers that were taken back by the contractor, but they had no record of it. They threatened to put me into collections for $600 for me never returning them. Finally after 3 months they straightened out the return of the HD receivers with the contractor.

I expect customer service to suck from everyone today except for Newegg, Amazon, and a few other select retailers.
Old 02-09-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I expect customer service to suck from everyone today except for Newegg, Amazon, and a few other select retailers.
Agreed, which is really very sad. We have Dish now and have not had any trouble yet, but I'm sure we will at some point. I will say the installer was awesome - showed up on time, was friendly, fast, and did very clean work.
Old 02-11-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
You seriously don't know?
Are you referring to downloading episodes illegally? Not interested.