Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Outputting diff audio on the PS3

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My setup:

Ps3 as Blu-Ray player - HDMI in to HDTV.

My surround sound receiver HT system only has HDMI out for video, no optical in, and the only audio in options are regular white&red rca and yipper component in.

The PS3 came with a cord that has an output (not sure what its called, but large flat usb type) and red, white, yellow inputs.

Can I run the video to the TV with HDMI to get 1080p picture, but at the same type run the audio through the a/v cable to my receiver and get surround audio? I understand this might only give me stereo 2.0 (which is still better than the TV speakers), but I have a feeling my receiver can upconvert that to 5.1 dolby pxII.

will this work?

if so, what are the setting on the PS3 to achieve this?

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-19-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Outputting diff audio on the PS3

What does your receiver have for audio in? Other than analog?

Which receiver do you have? Does it have a HDMI out?
Old 01-19-11, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
What does your receiver have for audio in? Other than analog?

Which receiver do you have? Does it have a HDMI out?
its a Panasonic SC-PT950.

HDMI - out only
Component Video Pb,Y,Pr
Analog video Red & White classic
Old 01-20-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your receiver will give you Pro Logic surround through the red/white input, which is stereo converted to surround. It's actually not that bad, although the real stuff is better, of course. Does the PS3 output both HDMI and analog at the same time? I don't use one of those.
Old 01-20-11, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Your receiver will give you Pro Logic surround through the red/white input, which is stereo converted to surround. It's actually not that bad, although the real stuff is better, of course. Does the PS3 output both HDMI and analog at the same time? I don't use one of those.
yes, that is what I figured, that while I can't get the nice HD master audios from the blu-ray, I'll at least get decent 5.1 out of the dolby decoder. That Pro Logic II has proven itself quite good with 2.0 soundtracks. So its a big step up from just the TV speakers.

So ultimately my questions is what settings do I do on the PS3 to output picture via HDMI, and audio via the standard red/white rca's.
Old 01-20-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

When you go into the settings menu, there are different set ups for audio and video. If I recall it is pretty self explanatory. So if you go to video you select HDMI and it walks you thru it. Then if you go into audio you would select the analog.

If I recall there are pictures and such to help you out.

If it doesn't seem to work or seem obvious once you get in there (doubtful you could hurt anything with the wrong setting, it just might not work), post back. I'll go into mine and look.

I've been getting in trouble lately for asking questions (or not asking questions) but I'll ask...

What are your plans with your receiver? Do you plan an upgrade or did you just get that HTiB? Spiky is correct, the 2-channel then split is "ok" but it would make a pretty big difference if you had the real thing. No, I'm not talking lossless (HD Audio). I'm just talking real, good ol' fashion 5.1. Those receivers can be had pretty cheaply now. Normally I'd suggest upgrading speakers first, but that is with the assumption your already getting 5.1 audio.

For example, I'm using a 6 year old H/K receiver w/my PS3. HDMI to projector (via HDMI switcher) and optical (or coaxial, I can never remember) to receiver for 5.1 audio. I'm very please, overall with the sound.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-20-11 at 02:39 PM.