Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Multi-room DVD Recording

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Multi-room DVD Recording

Old 01-15-11, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi-room DVD Recording

I have three DVRs and one HD receiver all working on a DirecTV Whole-Home setup.

I connected a Toshiba DVD recorder to one of the DVRs in order to transfer recorded media from DVR to DVD. My question is:

Can I record to DVD from other DVRs in my Whole-Home setup .... or, will it only record from the receiver where the original recording (dvr) was made? I have not been able to record from the DVR's in other rooms via the connected receiver.

I hope someone has experience with this matter. Thanks.

Last edited by 462dave; 01-15-11 at 10:55 AM. Reason: To be more specific
Old 01-15-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Multi-room DVD Recording

I got out just before the networking was catching on, so I don't know how precisely it works. But DVD recording is done via Svideo output from your DVR, correct? So, if you can play from another DVR via the network, it should output on the Svideo and be able to record it, I would think.

Or is the DVDR connected in a different way?
Old 01-15-11, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply ...

My DVD recorder is connected to the DVR via the phone jacks. The video and audio output on the DVR is connected to the Video/Audio inputs on my DVD using the three prong jacks and cable. (red, white and yellow).

I guess that I should wait until I can test the recorder before I solicit help from this forum. I will receive blank DVDs in the mail by monday. I was mainly concerned whether the DVR could direct the video/audio signal to the recorder if the source was coming from another DVR receiver in my home network.

I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 01-15-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would think so. It has to direct the signal out to a TV, so it can also send to a recorder. Upgrade to Svideo, not just the yellow video cable. I'm sure your recorder has Svideo in, and your DVRs have Svideo out. DVDs recorded from HDTV always looked excellent when I was recording like this, just as good as some of the best purchased DVDs.