Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Big Plasmas

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Plasmas

Originally Posted by CRM114
From what I understand, there is a significant difference between the VT25 and S2. Do I care about that image difference? Probably not. But I do have a difficult time buying anything without network connectivity in this day and age.
I've not yet had a reason to have network connectivity directly in my display. The only reason I can imagine wanting it is for firmware upgrades, and that would only likely matter for new features like 3D. I guess if it is your only device in the room, then you want an all-in-one with Netflix or whatever. But the other internet features are available in computers, bluray players, Roku type boxes, etc. that plug into the TV. I like to keep things separate, it costs less in the long run.
Old 01-24-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

OK, good information. Didn't know some of the "higher" end Panny had a better image then their lower end (on 2D). Again, I thought it was all about features.

From what I know, yea, if the price is the same, no need to avoid 3D. But that is key isn't it. IF. And I'm sure they will all have it soon so they can continue to raise prices.
Old 01-24-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, TigerDirect is having a TV/HT week, probably as prelude to the Super Bowl. May be the right time to shop there. Samsung 60" is $1500. LGs are cheaper, not surprisingly, and they don't seem to have the biggest Pannys.
Old 01-24-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
OK, good information. Didn't know some of the "higher" end Panny had a better image then their lower end (on 2D). Again, I thought it was all about features.
G series and VT series have more advanced processing and panels. I'm not sure if there is a difference between these 2. The VT only exists at 54" and up or something like that, so G is the best 42".
Old 01-24-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiky
I've not yet had a reason to have network connectivity directly in my display. The only reason I can imagine wanting it is for firmware upgrades, and that would only likely matter for new features like 3D. I guess if it is your only device in the room, then you want an all-in-one with Netflix or whatever. But the other internet features are available in computers, bluray players, Roku type boxes, etc. that plug into the TV. I like to keep things separate, it costs less in the long run.
I have a G-series Panasonic plasma now and use Amazon on Demand on occasion. I have an AppleTV and a TivoHD but they both suck in comparison. AppleTV (1st Gen) obviously doesn't have Amazon on Demand and iTunes video blows. The TivoHD I use for Netflix but is horrible in its execution. Something like the new Samsungs have the ability to add and subtract "widgets" based on what you want, which is nice.
Old 01-24-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

G series and VT series have more advanced processing and panels. I'm not sure if there is a difference between these 2. The VT only exists at 54" and up or something like that, so G is the best 42".
And thus my dilemma - no G-series 65". I'd already have it if they made one.
Old 01-24-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm currently watching Chuck from earlier tonight recorded on my upstairs computer via the downstairs computer over ethernet. While surfing here. My son is actually playing a game on the net on the upstairs computer at the same time.

Not that I would recommend switching to HTPCs for everything.
Old 01-25-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, TigerDirect is having a TV/HT week, probably as prelude to the Super Bowl. May be the right time to shop there. Samsung 60" is $1500. LGs are cheaper, not surprisingly, and they don't seem to have the biggest Pannys.
My brother ordered the "LG 60PK540" 60" plasma from them yesterday for $1,299 shipped. They also have a promo for TV's or 1k where if you check out with PayPal you get another $100 credited back to your account in 6-8 weeks.

I have the Pioneer 60" Kuro Elite and love it. But for the same size screen that LG is a lot of bang for the buck at $1,199 vs the over 4k I paid for the Pioneer.

Here is a link to the info on the $100 PayPal kickback as well as info about the 60 LG and the coupon code on the right.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1-_-tigeremail
Old 01-26-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tempting. But if I were to go cheap and featureless, I'd just get the Panasonic 65" S2. Which I may still end up getting if these Samsungs don't come down in price a bit.
Old 01-26-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Tempting. But if I were to go cheap and featureless, I'd just get the Panasonic 65" S2. Which I may still end up getting if these Samsungs don't come down in price a bit.
I just can't get past missing out on ethernet and the black filter for the G/GT/VT series if you go with the S.

I wish 2011 units would start coming out to solve some of that.
Old 01-26-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. Bad timing on my part. I thought some of these prices would come down to clear out inventory. The 65" VT25 price is rigoddamdiculous.
Old 02-15-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My new Samsung 63" PN63C7000 is arriving tomorrow. Before my furniture. 3D and network connectivity. Too bad Panasonic didn't have a more reasonable price on their VT25's. No 3D glasses with this thing which is pretty ridiculous as well.

Old 02-15-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My new Samsung 63" PN63C7000 is arriving tomorrow. Before my furniture. 3D and network connectivity. Too bad Panasonic didn't have a more reasonable price on their VT25's. No 3D glasses with this thing which is pretty ridiculous as well.

Congrats!!

Nearly $3,000!! Wow....pretty expensive TV!!
Old 02-15-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was $2299 on Amazon for a few hours Sunday with free white glove delivery.

I have my speakers, my receiver, and the TV. I'm waiting on furniture delivery and for the Denon BD player to come back in stock on Crutchfield. I have a gift card via a Visa rewards program so I'm stuck waiting on them.
Old 02-15-11, 01:55 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! I got the PN50C6500 this weekend (don't care about 3D) and it's amazing so far!
Old 02-15-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was $2299 on Amazon for a few hours Sunday with free white glove delivery.

I have my speakers, my receiver, and the TV. I'm waiting on furniture delivery and for the Denon BD player to come back in stock on Crutchfield. I have a gift card via a Visa rewards program so I'm stuck waiting on them.
Best Buy by me was blowing out the remaining Onkyo BD507 Bluray players for $99. I was tempted. But no 5.1/7.1 analog out, so I saw no reason to grab one. Course when I said no for that reason the guy wanted to sell me a HDMI receiver...lol

Bonus comes in Spring. I know it won't be what it normally is. And I want to save most of it for ski trip with buddy. But I'll do a little upgrading. I just need to decide if I want to go one more bulb on on my projector or upgrade that to 1080p. And probably upgrade sub....
Old 02-15-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Nice! I got the PN50C6500 this weekend (don't care about 3D) and it's amazing so far!
I don't really care about 3D either. We won't have any glasses anyway. I wanted size and picture quality. If they ever decide to sell glasses at a reasonable price, I'll try it out.
Old 02-26-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was a lot of talk about ambient light and projectors in this thread. OK a lot by me

I know the OP already moved on to a "large" TV (well I say "large" for a Plasma). But certainly not a large display overall.

I've made mention that I'm really happy with the image I get with my old (nearly 4 years old) HD70 even with significant ambient light. More then enough light to read a paper by (which I regularly do on the weekends while having my morning coffee). That my only issue comes if light is shinning directly on the screen which of course would effect any display in a very bad way.

Again, I know the OP has moved on and gotten a FANTASTIC TV. But for information and others, I thought I'd go ahead and post this. I'm looking at the HC4000 as a replacement to my HD70. Haven't made any final decisions yet, but I found this video summary review. The details of the review aren't really important to the topic at hand. But what is, is the amount of ambient light. Look how bright Art is in the video! As are the walls. He makes mention of this starting about 1.5 minutes in. He mentions that as they started recording they had sunlight coming in. Then as the sun went down they turned on the lights in the room. He also mentions that this would work well in a "family" or "multipurpose" room.

I'm not trying to say the OP got the wrong set. Not the point at all. Just showing those who are considering a projector but worried about ambient light that so long as it is not shinning on the screen, really not an issue with modern digital sets. Would the OP's plasma look even brighter with the same ambient light? I'm sure it would. Every set up has gives and takes. But again, this is just to demonstrate that even a low cost (this is a just released 1080p pj at $1,299 RETAIL) can more than hold its own in plenty of ambient light.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...4000_video.php

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-27-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-27-11, 10:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm holding out for this. Ran across this in Hong Kong, a 108" Plasma screen. I wish I could have seen the 3D in action on this.

Wife not included - but you get the idea on the size.

This was just interesting to see, although I have no interest in a 21x9.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-27-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-27-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh, no way I'd spend that much on a display. What happens next year when that new fancy blue light comes out on them? Or fancy new connection or 4D comes out and you want to upgrade?
Old 02-28-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We moved to a rental, so I had to replace my old HD72 (hanging the projector screen at the new house was impractical). Sold my HD72 for $250 on ebay, and bought a Panny 50" GT25 model for $999 from Amazon.

Miss the big image, but the plasma is pretty nice, and it's nice to have 1080p now. Still, I think I liked big and 720p better
Old 02-28-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My furniture finally arrived this weekend and I was able to hook everything up. The 63" display looks incredible. My basement gets pitch black and the black level on the set was great out of the box. We watched Avatar as it was probably the most technologically modern blu-ray I own. Looked and sounded great. I also finally got to exercise my Energy RC speakers. Blown away. (I also watched The Thin Red Line on blu-ray. I think it was the first time I could hear all of the dialogue and whispered voiceovers. The LC-LCR center channel is outstanding.)
Old 02-28-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Great pickup! I've been loving the 50" version of the same set since I got it. Excellent choice for the money.
Old 02-28-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
We moved to a rental, so I had to replace my old HD72 (hanging the projector screen at the new house was impractical). Sold my HD72 for $250 on ebay, and bought a Panny 50" GT25 model for $999 from Amazon.

Miss the big image, but the plasma is pretty nice, and it's nice to have 1080p now. Still, I think I liked big and 720p better
Wow! You got $250 for the HD72 on ebay? I assume the bulb has some life left?

If I upgrade to the Mit, I have to decide what to do with my HD70. If I could get $200 out of it with essentially no bulb would make the decision to move up a lot easier.

But then, I toyed with the idea of a an outdoor theater. Of course in Dallas not many opportunities to enjoy a nice evening outside...lol
Old 02-28-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Wow! You got $250 for the HD72 on ebay? I assume the bulb has some life left?

If I upgrade to the Mit, I have to decide what to do with my HD70. If I could get $200 out of it with essentially no bulb would make the decision to move up a lot easier.

But then, I toyed with the idea of a an outdoor theater. Of course in Dallas not many opportunities to enjoy a nice evening outside...lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESOX:IT

Bulb had ~3050 hours on it but it still works. Once in a while it goes black and needs a power off / cool down before it will work again (bulb is on its last legs). It apparently helped that I've had the replacement lamp driver board installed by Optoma (the HD72s had a problem with them, causing premature bulb problems). The guy commented that he was more comfortable with the purchase because I seemed to know a lot about the projector. Also, I had one of the more uncommon models with the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer in it (mostly only the Europe models had this). Plus I threw in my mount from mountdirect.

I'm pretty happy with the Panny TC-P50GT25. Blacks look GREAT - better than my old darkchip2 HD72 - and the TV performs nicely otherwise. It lacks the impact of the 105" screen, but we're sitting a lot closer, so at least the image is decently sized for our distance.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-28-11 at 09:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.