Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Starting to look at new projectors. Thoughts?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I recently got my first bulb warning on the 2nd bulb in my HD70 (720p). I checked my purchase history at Amazon and got this bulb 12/2008. So basically two full years and counter says 2,100 hours (bulb is rated at 2,000-3,000 hours). So nothing to complain about and pleased with the life and very, very happy with the projector itself. I've had the pj a little over 4 years and only problem I had with it was taken care of under warranty.

So...thoughts on a new projector? Suggestions, ideas, recommendations?

For those keeping score at home I project to a 94" screen with two rows of seating. One is 10.5' the other 12.5'. I have good light control despite having an entire wall of windows.

I have two projectors on my "short" list;

Optima HD20
Mit HC3800

Any other recommendations? If I got a new projector my budget would be around a grand. I could go a little higher (I can't imagine going more than $1,500) if made a significant difference. I'm partial to DLP, but would consider something else. I make my own low profile, adjustable mount and I can move the screen an inch or two horizontally. And since I ceiling mount, lens shift is not an issue to me (so long as built in lens offset is not to extreme).

I'm looking to do a media room upgrade in the spring so that is likely when I'd do this. I also have on my upgrade list a new subwoofer, paint and a few other small things.

I could get a new bulb for this projector and use the $700 for new seating or something. But at 10.5' for the front row, I think it time to go to 1080p. Also a new projector will likely have other improved features.
Old 01-02-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Starting to look at new projectors. Thoughts?

C'mon, you know you want to upgrade:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102022

These used to be $25K when they were DVD resolution.
Old 01-02-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$4,500! Ha! I'll get a bonus in the spring NOT hit the lottery!! LOL.

Looks like Mit is replacing the HC3800 w/ the HC4000 with the newer darkchip. Looks to be $1,300 so I got to add that to my short list...

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/hc4000/

Bulb on the Mit's is rated at 3,000-4,000 hours. Nice little bonus there...
Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a nice price for a DC3. Since you can handle the lens shift (what, 20' above the screen?), I'd say that's the best pic you're going to find anywhere near $1000.

Maybe I could get that, remove the lens system from my Panny, and put it into the HC4000 so I could put it in my room.
Old 01-02-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not quite 20' but close....

My HD70 has a 33% offset and I just make it work with my 8' ceiling.

The HC3800 has a 29% offset. But I can't find the % on the 4000 yet. Will have to check that out.....
Old 01-03-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My eldest was kind enough to play with a stick or something yesterday and destroyed our 32". I now have only one TV, but it is 90"!
Old 01-03-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The biggest surprise and most pleasant surprise I have had with my projector is how much we use it as a regular TV. When I first installed really thought it would only be for movie night and an occasional football game. But it is such a high quality image, bight and such we watch it all the time (as evidence by a bulb every two years).

As an example, the kids have been off of school for the holidays. So ours has been going on a 10 am and usually off around midnight. And we have a 46" LCD in the living room, 26" LCD in bar both also running HD.

And even I have to admit I enjoy watching even prime time TV on it. The Tonight Show, CSI and the other prime time HD shows looks fantastic. Easily the best picture and the house and a big screen.

I even toyed with putting a projector in living room. But couldn't sell wife. And it wouldn't be as clean of an install. With 10' ceilings, it would have to hang down.
Old 01-03-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't follow projectors, but are new models usually announced at CES with all the other electronics? I would assume so, but I find some electronics and/or brands tend to follow their own schedules.
Old 01-03-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've done most of my TV watching on the PJ since I got it for obvious reasons (bought 3rd lamp last May), but everyone else uses the other TVs. It was really annoying yesterday as I wanted to watch football, but had work to do that couldn't be done down in the theater. So, just missed out, basically. Most people would require quite a light cannon for a living room, though. Probably best you didn't go that route. Even with an LCD flat panel, I have to shut drapes if I actually want to see anything during the day.

We used to have 3, but dropped down to 2 this fall, for non-technical, non-financial reasons. I have to decide what to do, now. I think I mentioned this here before, but I changed our whole tech/communication around at my house in Sept. This TV was really the hub of many things the last few months: audio, TV, kids' email, computer for play or schoolwork. So now the replacement dillema is worse than usual. Maybe borrow a spare PC monitor from work to use in place of a larger screen, so we don't lose everything. They are going to go without something for a bit after smashing the 1 year old TV, though. The timing is annoying, in 2010 I went on a cleaning spree and recycled 2 or 3 monitors to clean up around the house, now I could use one.

Probably eventually get a 42-47" 1080p model since the main source is now a computer, and this TV got moved into the living room where bigger would be nice. Maybe I'll put it behind glass like the Mona Lisa!
Old 01-03-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
I don't follow projectors, but are new models usually announced at CES with all the other electronics? I would assume so, but I find some electronics and/or brands tend to follow their own schedules.
Announcements, sure. But shipping can be anytime. The HC4000 just started in Sept, if reports are accurate.
Old 01-03-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
That's a nice price for a DC3. Since you can handle the lens shift (what, 20' above the screen?), I'd say that's the best pic you're going to find anywhere near $1000.

Maybe I could get that, remove the lens system from my Panny, and put it into the HC4000 so I could put it in my room.
Nice review of the new Mit by Art.

I love his reviews. Just technical enough to not go over my limited knowledge...lol...

It was his review of my HD70 that pushed me to buy it after all.

And reading his review the bulb is rated 3,000 hours in bright mode and 5,000 hours in eco mode!! Wow...that is incredible.
Old 01-03-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lamp life on my Epson 6500 is 4,000 hours and I've had that for a couple years now. Two years almost exactly, in fact, and I'm still on bulb #1 and going strong. And I use the projector as not only my main TV, but as my computer monitor as well. I put about 6 hours a day on it on weekdays, and 12 or more on weekends. They've really improved lamp life in the last few years.
Old 01-07-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new Epsons are pretty nice. The 8350 is in your price range:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...me+Cinema+8350

I recently got the Epson 8700ub and it is fantastic.
Old 01-07-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gambit
The new Epsons are pretty nice. The 8350 is in your price range:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...me+Cinema+8350

I recently got the Epson 8700ub and it is fantastic.
LCD? Ewww.....

J/K....will have to check it out.
Old 01-07-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just think, you could put it where YOU want it, not where Mitsubishi wants it.
Old 01-07-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, I'm more of a DLP guy....I'd rather do a little more measuring and double check it and than go with LCD to get the lens shift.

This is what I'll be considering in the spring,

I'm just now getting a bulb warning light (2nd bulb) on my HD70, 720p projector. Need to decide if I want a new bulb or new projector. If I can get the Mit for close to a grand, will be hard to resist.

The big draw back with no lens shift is impossible to shelf mount up hight behind the viewer. Or if you want to ceiling mount, but only have 7 foot or less ceilings you might not be able to make it work unless you can put the screen low such as only one row of seating.

But 8' ceilings, ceiling mounted, should work out fine! Just need to measure carefully....
Old 01-07-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Again, I'm more of a DLP guy....I'd rather do a little more measuring and double check it and than go with LCD to get the lens shift.
I know. But I need some fun after a 15 hour day.
Old 01-08-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

LOL....actually I don't think I saw your post when I posted..but maybe....lol