Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does your Vizio TV do this? (Video of problem)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX45RuQnGuY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BX45RuQnGuY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="740" height="485"></embed></object>

This should be self-explanatory. Model is VF552XVT, does anyone else have this same TV and does it have this same problem? Vizio wants to replace my set but I'm thinking they are all programmed to do this and the replacement will just have the same problem. It seems like they could fix this with a firmware upgrade, but the guy I talked to insisted on trying a replacement first. If this problem is on every TV of this model, then I will call him back and cancel the replacement.
Old 11-11-10, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Does your Vizio TV do this? (Video of problem)

I have a Vizio in my bedroom and wished I'd have spent the extra $100 for a Toshiba. The viewing angle is absolutely awful.
Old 11-11-10, 02:53 AM

The viewing angle on mine is actually pretty good, even though I usually sit straight in front of it. I can see the picture clearly looking from the side of the TV. Different Vizio models seem to be built differently though, and some have different problems than others. Still trying to find out if the problem with the LEDs going out is happening on all TVs of this model, or if it's somehow a defect just in mine. It does this with Smart Dimming on and the brightness set anywhere at 70 or lower (ideally it should be around 60.) No other controls affect this. You can defeat it by keeping the brightness at 71, but the background and any black borders on the picture are too bright. You can also turn off Smart Dimming, but the overall picture with it on is still better even with the brightness up, I've also noticed uneven backlighting with it off so that isn't an option either.

A replacement is being sent, but I'd really rather not do that as everything else with this TV has been good and a replacement may have other problems. If they bring it and it has this same problem, I can tell them just to take it, then arrange to return this one and exchange for a different model.
Old 11-11-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, it really sounds like that may be a "feature". Esp with the clear delineation at 70 Brightness, unless your unit is just set wrong. I wonder if the Dimming feature can be adjusted in a service menu.
Old 11-11-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Are they sending you a new TV without requiring you to return the old first?

If that is the case, then you should have your answer as soon as you get the new one. Try the new one and compare it to the old one. Personally, unless there was a difference, I'd keep the new one. They may restart your warranty clock with the new TV.
Old 11-11-10, 10:43 PM

They're supposed to pick up the current one when they bring the new one, but I'm going to check it for this problem first before I let them take it. Just went to a Wal-Mart and checked out the VF553 which is the next model up from this (looks about the same) and its backlights stayed on when I switched it to an input with nothing plugged into it, so at least that model doesn't do this. It might end up being a problem with just this one after all.

What bugs me though is I got this through a "VIP" thing they did in January, where they 'selected' a few people to get these early and evaluate them. I sent them a detailed description of this problem along with my feedback, but got no answer from anyone about it. I didn't complain further since I figured it would eventually be fixed with a firmware update- the guy I talked to on the phone (he was a Level 3 rep and pretty knowledgeable, the people you get when you first call are worthless however!) said he wouldn't be able to do that and it'd be easier just to swap the whole TV.

Another thing that really pissed me off was the built-in Netflix streaming on this TV was only working in MONO- I complained about it for 8 months until they FINALLY fixed it 2 weeks ago (yes, 2 weeks ago from the day I'm typing this now.) But aside from this blackout problem, the picture on this TV is really good, and I'm rather picky.
Old 11-12-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, at least that is pretty decent service for a TV company. Not quite SVS or Apple, but not bad.

I was at Costco yesterday watching a guy buy a 55" Visio and thought of this thread.
Old 11-13-10, 06:16 AM

Well, it's nice to be thought of Haven't been contacted by the delivery people yet to set a date up, but will post again after checking the replacement TV. 2 people on AVS Forum say they have the same problem with this TV, so will have a DVD player ready to check the replacement with as soon as they bring it inside.
Old 11-16-10, 02:08 PM

Replacement was brought over today, but it had the same problem so I had them take it back. The person at Vizio who's helping me with this wasn't in when I called him, but I left him a message and sent an email so hopefully this'll be taken care of somehow. Sure wish this thing had a service menu or some way that would let me adjust this myself.
Old 12-09-10, 05:06 AM

Check this out- Vizio sent me a 553 model (next model up from the 552) and took the old one today, but the 553 STILL has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! I'm thinking Vizio's 'support' people don't know much about the products they're supposed to be supporting. So I still have to keep the smart-dimming off and just hope that SOMEDAY they wake up and upgrade the firmware on these things so they don't do this.
Old 12-23-10, 06:00 AM

Video of the new TV:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2KtP0LjV4c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g2KtP0LjV4c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-23-10, 01:09 PM
Banned

Have you thought about taking the TV back and just get another brand? It seems that you are having problems and is not happy with your TV
Old 12-23-10, 02:58 PM

I "is" happy with this TV aside from that- since I recently quit working and am going back to school full-time until I graduate, this was going to be the last TV I get for a while. When I graduate and get a good-paying job, hopefully larger 3-D sets will be more plentiful by then. I'm annoyed with this because this seems to be affecting ALL of their TVs that have smart-dimming, and could probably be fixed easily by anyone who knows how to adjust their programming.