Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Yamaha 5760 volume output differences - analog/digital

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-20-11, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it normal to experience large differences in volume depending on the source?

My receiver is the Yamaha 5760. I use the analog multi channel input for a Panny BD-85 and fiber optic for everything else; DirecTV, Xbox, Apple TV, etc.

All of my digital inputs are comfortable around the receivers volume setting of 50-60, whereas the BD player needs to be around 30-35.

Is this to be expected?
Old 01-20-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Yamaha 5760 volume output differences - analog/digital

Assuming all connections are correct and there is no defect in the equipment itself, it is absolutely normal for different sources to have different "volume" outputs.

For example, playing DVDs on my SACD/DVD player means having to boost the volume on my receiver, whereas the Wii is too loud when I switch sources.

You might be able to equalize each source by adjusting their individual outputs, but it can also depend on the software (some children's DVDs are always low in volume, when compared to something like STAR WARS).
Old 01-20-11, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yamaha 5760 volume output differences - analog/digital

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Assuming all connections are correct and there is no defect in the equipment itself, it is absolutely normal for different sources to have different "volume" outputs.

For example, playing DVDs on my SACD/DVD player means having to boost the volume on my receiver, whereas the Wii is too loud when I switch sources.

You might be able to equalize each source by adjusting their individual outputs, but it can also depend on the software (some children's DVDs are always low in volume, when compared to something like STAR WARS).
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go through the setup all over again and make sure I didn't do something wrong. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just need to remember to adjust the volume before I switch sources.