Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Headphone Recommendation?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What headphones do you all use (and like) to listen to music? I have a pair of Sony MDR-XD200s and Sennheiser EH-150s, and find both lacking in their own ways. The Sony pair has a really weak bass response, and seems to overcompensate in the higher range, which can sometimes be piercing. The Sennheiser pair has what seems like really good bass response at first, but reveals itself to be pretty muddy over the course of any given song. The mid and upper range also seems to be muted a bit on these, but at the same time comes across as more than a little harsh. I can barely even use these headphones, as even at a reasonable volume they tend to make my ears feel like they're filling up with pressure. Whatever pair I get I'll be using with my laptop, which is equipped with HP Beats Audio, but with which I usually use a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB sound card. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Headphone Recommendation?

i have a pair of grado sr60's. they sound great. though they are open ear so people around you will hear what you are listening to.
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige...6776670&sr=8-1
Old 10-11-10, 01:25 AM

The Grado SR60's are actually the ones I'm most interested in at this point, even if they are on the higher end of what I'd like to spend. I'd actually find the open ear to be a positive, since the two pair I mentioned are close-eared and get rather hot at times.

Last edited by Backlog; 10-11-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 03:54 AM

they are very comfortable. you barely feel like you are wearing them. fromthe research that i did whe i got them you really cant get much better than them for under $100.
Old 10-11-10, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Grado SR-80s. (I've never tried the 60s.)
Old 10-11-10, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another fan of the Grado 80s here. I've never tried the 60s either, but I'm sure they are great as well.
Old 10-11-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I was going to recommend the Sennheiser PX100 for less, but apparently they've doubled in price to also be $80. I got my first pair for ~$35, 2nd had to pay ~$45.

Nevermind. (well, a little less at jr.com)

I'd like to try something in the Denon Dx000 series, but that's just a bit more.
Old 10-11-10, 11:40 AM

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I've been very happy with these:

Old 10-11-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto Eisenreich
Old 10-11-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been using Sennheiser open air 'phones for years now.
Currently, I have a pair of HD-555s, and really like them. They're a little more ($115 at amazon), but I think well worth it.

Previously, I had HD-570s and liked them a lot, too. I don't think they're available anymore, though.

Both sets are SUPER comfortable to wear, since they're over the ear (as opposed to on the ear) style, and have a nice, padded headband.
Old 10-11-10, 02:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by edclem
I've been using Sennheiser open air 'phones for years now.
Currently, I have a pair of HD-555s, and really like them. They're a little more ($115 at amazon), but I think well worth it.
There's a company that had been selling them for $75 but the coupon expired yesterday and it's back up to $130. There's also a simple mod for them that evidently turns them into HD-595s.
Old 10-11-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the Sennheiser RS-120's and have been pretty happy. I wouldn't say they blow me away, but the sound is pretty damn good for TV and movies.
Old 10-11-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Used to use Sennheisers. Bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH900's a year or two back, and have forgotten all about the Senns. I have owned Senn HD555 and HD280's. Check out audiocubes.com for A-T headphones. They're having what they claim to be a once a year sale on A-T headphones. I'm not affiliated with either the site or A-T.
Old 01-12-11, 08:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good pair of noise cancellation headphones? I have a pair of Sennheiser 150's, but after a while, the headband tends to be a bit too much pressure on the head. Plus, they're not exactly noise cancellation. I don't want to go the Bose route, mostly because of the price, but I am willing to go about $100 or so for a really good pair. Thoughts?

I was pondering the Sony MDR-NC60 since I got those for my wife for Christmas. We're travelling at the beginning of February, so I wanted to get a good pair for myself. I do like the fact that they cover the whole ear.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-12-11 at 09:24 AM.