Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some TV installation help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because I have the "fish tape" and have done it before, a friend asked me to help out his nephew and fish the HDMI cords through the wall for him. The TV was already mounted. When I got there I found an exterior wall with a fire break, a horizontal joist, about half way up. Had the TV not been up so high I could have just punched a hole in the wall for my drill, patched the hole then the TV would have covered the sins. The problem was the TV was too high to cover up the mess. It was the equivalent height of above the fireplace although not physically over the fireplace. I asked them if they wanted to lower the TV but his chick nixed that idea. She likes it high.

Other than the obvious is there a way to get through or around that joist without major construction? I've seen those channels that mount to the surface of the wall so that is an option, but I've never shopped for them so I don't know the best places to look.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-05-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need some TV installation help

A long flexible drill bit. No doubt she'll like that, too. Why can't you take the TV down and still do what you wanted, putting it back up after?

Ooh, and a coupon for a chiropracter would make a nice gift for them.
Old 09-05-10, 11:13 PM

How about a blank faceplate? Would she like one of those? You could cut out a patch in the wall above the break and drill through the fire break with a paddle bit and then put up the blank face plate over it. Or you could use that same paddle bit to just cut through the break and patch and paint when you are done. Nothing major.
Old 09-06-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluthswede6
How about a blank faceplate? Would she like one of those? You could cut out a patch in the wall above the break and drill through the fire break with a paddle bit and then put up the blank face plate over it. Or you could use that same paddle bit to just cut through the break and patch and paint when you are done. Nothing major.
True. I'd just feel better if they'd lower the TV, it would cover up any patching. Instead it will be about a foot below the TV. I've done alot of my own drywall work but doing it for someone else is worrysome. They are paying me for my time, but drywall is an art for people who love to sand. My patching looks best when covered by a large painting.
Old 09-07-10, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
My patching looks best when covered by a large painting.