Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tivo Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tivo Premiere

I love my Series-3 even tho I'm on my 3rd one after two of them going bad over the years. ~20% faster transfer speed to boot -- only drawback is you need two cable cards regardless if you have a multi-stream cable card...

-Tim
Old 03-29-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm upgrading the series 2 in my bedroom and getting the lifetime on it also. Can't see a reason to replace my series 3 with this.
Old 03-29-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Order shipped.
Old 03-29-10, 10:01 PM

Both of my regular premiere's shipped. In regards to replacing a Series 3 if you have a home media server you will see significant improvement in network transfer speeds.

-Tim
Old 03-30-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tdoane78
Both of my regular premiere's shipped. In regards to replacing a Series 3 if you have a home media server you will see significant improvement in network transfer speeds.

-Tim
In what way? I can already stream movies from my computer to my series 2 and 3 faster than I can watch them.
Old 03-30-10, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
In what way? I can already stream movies from my computer to my series 2 and 3 faster than I can watch them.
Try it with HD content :-) (excludes series 2 of course)

-Tim
Old 03-30-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try it with HD content :-) (excludes series 2 of course)

-Tim
The downside is that I'll be using a sub-par wireless B adapter and the TV isn't HD. It's just a 27" CRT.
Old 03-30-10, 07:13 PM

The downside is that I'll be using a sub-par wireless B adapter and the TV isn't HD. It's just a 27" CRT.
Ahh -- I'm streaming 1080p (only displayed as 1080i) files to it. It streams at about 75% of real-time -- so the new Premiere will make that an issue of the past. Then again I have a strange issue of seven Tivos for two people.....

-Tim
Old 04-02-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahh -- I'm streaming 1080p (only displayed as 1080i) files to it. It streams at about 75% of real-time -- so the new Premiere will make that an issue of the past. Then again I have a strange issue of seven Tivos for two people.....

-Tim
My crappy wireless adapter isn't supported, so I had to run a cable to it. I will admit that things like the Netflix menu run noticeably faster than my Series 3 that's also on a wired connection.
Old 04-04-10, 08:03 AM

If you have two Series3/4 Tivos you'll appreciate the wired performance. Just finished testing the transfer speed of a 16 gig High def file and it looks like it's copying over at ~ 5,100 KB/S. Previously the Series 3 would cap out around ~2,000 KB/S.

The bigger gain is copying one video file to another (where Tivo does have to remux the file into the .tivo format). It literally copied over a 30-min standard definition show in about 10 seconds and a 60-min high def show in roughly 2-3 mins. This was of course from a Premiere to Premiere.

Overall I'm estatic with the network performance which was the main driver for the new boxes -- the interface works fine from a speed performance after the Tivo has had a chance to index all the program data (24-36 hour).

-Tim
Old 04-04-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm really thinking about putting the Series 3 in the bedroom now. I watched a Netflix movie on it yesterday and scrolling through the queue was even slower than I remembered. Haven't done a copy from one to the other yet.
Old 04-06-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

If you have two Series3/4 Tivos you'll appreciate the wired performance. Just finished testing the transfer speed of a 16 gig High def file and it looks like it's copying over at ~ 5,100 KB/S. Previously the Series 3 would cap out around ~2,000 KB/S.

The bigger gain is copying one video file to another (where Tivo does have to remux the file into the .tivo format). It literally copied over a 30-min standard definition show in about 10 seconds and a 60-min high def show in roughly 2-3 mins. This was of course from a Premiere to Premiere.

Overall I'm estatic with the network performance which was the main driver for the new boxes -- the interface works fine from a speed performance after the Tivo has had a chance to index all the program data (24-36 hour).

-Tim

So it sounds like a lot of the early negative feedback was inaccurate? The slowness was because their test units had been allowed to fully index data programming? That does sounds like a long time, especially if it's over the internet.
Old 04-06-10, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
So it sounds like a lot of the early negative feedback was inaccurate? The slowness was because their test units had been allowed to fully index data programming? That does sounds like a long time, especially if it's over the internet.

The Tivo downloads the raw data from the mothership and indexes the data locally. Bear in mind the CPU in the Tivo has less CPU power then that of your Iphone. After the first indexing subsequent indexing events are rather quick and for the most part not noticed as it's done early in the morning and only the incremental data needs indexing.

However the sluggishness in the reviews has more to do with the interface then transfer speeds -- which honestly is still rough around the edges.

-Tim
Old 04-21-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I was thinking about updating my HD when my 3-year plan expires in September, but the more I read about it the more I just want to stay put until my unit dies.

Quick question for HD owners - is there any way the unit can act as a digital media server for content stored on an NAS? I have read a little about the Netgear and Popcorn Hour products, but I would love if I could just use my TivoHD.
Old 04-21-10, 10:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by B.A.
I was thinking about updating my HD when my 3-year plan expires in September, but the more I read about it the more I just want to stay put until my unit dies.

Quick question for HD owners - is there any way the unit can act as a digital media server for content stored on an NAS? I have read a little about the Netgear and Popcorn Hour products, but I would love if I could just use my TivoHD.
Look up pytivo (google it; I can't post the link). You can send pretty much any video file to a TiVo HD/S3 using it. However, as far as I know, you cannot stream to the TiVo - you need to send the file over.
Old 04-21-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by darksurtur
Look up pytivo (google it; I can't post the link). You can send pretty much any video file to a TiVo HD/S3 using it. However, as far as I know, you cannot stream to the TiVo - you need to send the file over.
I'll give it a look.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-10, 05:48 AM

One thing to bear in mind -- you will need to continue to have service provided by TiVo for network transfers to work.

-Tim
Old 04-22-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darksurtur
However, as far as I know, you cannot stream to the TiVo - you need to send the file over.
Yup, you can stream to a TiVo: "Streambaby" does a great job.
http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/

Here's pytivo:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

You'll want to upgrade to wmcbrine's latest for all the recent features:
http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine.git
Old 04-22-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I can see http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/TheBayer.git is a better one as it's added support for DVDs. Is there someplace that describes the features of each one?
Old 04-22-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I can see http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/TheBayer.git is a better one as it's added support for DVDs. Is there someplace that describes the features of each one?
I've only ever used wmcbrine's fork because he constantly updates (the last being 3 days ago).

As to your question, maybe the pytivo forum will help?
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/
Old 04-22-10, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
I've only ever used wmcbrine's fork because he constantly updates (the last being 3 days ago).

As to your question, maybe the pytivo forum will help?
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/

So true -- and he actively posts both on the pytivo forums and the tivocommunity.com forums as well.

-Tim
Old 04-22-10, 07:26 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Chew
Yup, you can stream to a TiVo: "Streambaby" does a great job.
Thanks for providing the links. I didn't know about Streambaby. I doubt I would use it, not having a home media server and given the S3's slow transfer rates, but it's nice to have the option.
Old 05-09-10, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

Honestly, this late in the game, a tivo subscription should be able to offer a superior scheduling system that can handle when live events overrun other programming and adapt automatically. The fact that it still cannot is disappointing and I have a hard time justifying my sub at this point.
Old 05-10-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by therain93
Honestly, this late in the game, a tivo subscription should be able to offer a superior scheduling system that can handle when live events overrun other programming and adapt automatically. The fact that it still cannot is disappointing and I have a hard time justifying my sub at this point.
How? By detecting someone is throwing a baseball in the video signal?

Expecting it to know that an event running over is an unrealistic expectation. The only way it knows what is showing is what guide data it receives - and if you notice, TV stations don't exactly update that dynamically.
Old 05-10-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been happy with the reminder that you are scheduling a live event. Always pad live events!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.