Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on HDTV Purchase

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been looking at them and wanted to pick up a 42" Panasonic G10 as they seem really fantastic for the money. I didn't want to pay over $1000. So when i went to Bestbuy and Sears yesterday they only had the 50" and the 56" in store. I am in San Juan, PR so it means that i am restricted to some extent on what stock store like this have. They did advertise the 42" in Sears as online only, but when i asked them they said it refered only to mainland US. I was gonna ask them why they still advertise it as such, but i realized a long time ago that dealing with people here can tend to be time consuming and a futile.

So anyways, in case i cannot pick up the model that i am after i am looking for the next best thing that might be on store shelves here. I am looking under $1000. I want it to be 1080p and i would prefer 42" or 46"". Panasonic would be a prefered brand.

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions.
Old 02-18-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Advice needed on HDTV Purchase

You may want to request this thread be moved to the "DVD & Home Theater Gear" forum where you'll get more help.
Old 02-18-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Thanks.
Old 02-18-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

How far are you sitting from the set? Anything more than 7 feet or so and your problem will be solved by going with 720p and not seeing a difference.
Old 02-18-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess maybe about that as i will be gaming as well on it. But i wanted to get something that will last and will cover all uses. So just to cover myself when i go back can any 1080p and 780 recommended models be suggested. As i said, i would prefer a Panasonic or Pioneer, but am open to anything that has univeral praise. Thanks
Old 02-18-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pioneer doesn't make tvs any more. Panasonic has new models coming out in the next month or so (maybe later). Some of the new panasonic models have the Pioneer Kuro features which should be killer. I think the best time to buy will be when the new models hit the shelves or firm release dates are posted.
Old 02-18-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again i have to stress that i am in Puerto Rico and they are slow at getting things and limited when they do get them. So i would prefer to see whats out there at the moment. I just need a buyers guide of good potentials that are already on shelves. If i have a few on paper then i am not wasting my time trying to track down a single model. I get the feeling i am gonna end up forking the extra for the 50" G10.
Old 02-18-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
Again i have to stress that i am in Puerto Rico and they are slow at getting things and limited when they do get them. So i would prefer to see whats out there at the moment. I just need a buyers guide of good potentials that are already on shelves. If i have a few on paper then i am not wasting my time trying to track down a single model. I get the feeling i am gonna end up forking the extra for the 50" G10.
ah, I missed the Puerto Rico part. There are a lot of rumors (maybe true) about the current line of panny plasmas regarding power supply issues and loss of black over time. Not sure if they'll fix it or how bad the problem is. My dad's TC-P42S1 bought in aug died and had to get a refund. I'm currently shopping for a replacement, but not sure what to get.

not a bad deal on this set (although never heard of the place):

http://www.digitalspyders.com/store/...-p-275758.html
Old 02-18-10, 07:00 PM

You might need to buy it on line (6ave,amazon,etc) but your gonna have to find one that ships international(I don't know if there are any). If you happen to know someone in the states you can order online(you can find the Pannys for good deals),ship it to your friend and have them ship it to you.
BTW the Panny are great tv's.
Old 02-18-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm right now looking for a new 40" or 42" HDTV set with 1080p and 120 Hz refresh rates.

I'm right now down to these choices:

LG 42LH50 42"
Samsung LN40B650 40"
Sony KDL-40EX500 40"
Sony KDL-40VE5 40"
VIZIO SV420M 42"

I might consider the Panasonic TC-P42U1 plasma, though.
Old 02-19-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I guess maybe about that as i will be gaming as well on it. But i wanted to get something that will last and will cover all uses. So just to cover myself when i go back can any 1080p and 780 recommended models be suggested. As i said, i would prefer a Panasonic or Pioneer, but am open to anything that has univeral praise. Thanks
Well you never answered the question about how far you will be sitting??

But sounds like you have made up your mind. The Panny Plasma is an excellent choice. 2nd best pic I have ever seen. The first? The Pioneer Kuro (which still can be found, but doubtful in your price range).

Good luck
Old 02-19-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well you never answered the question about how far you will be sitting??

But sounds like you have made up your mind. The Panny Plasma is an excellent choice. 2nd best pic I have ever seen. The first? The Pioneer Kuro (which still can be found, but doubtful in your price range).

Good luck
Well i did reply to the question...but re-reading it i was a bit hazy in my reply. I said i would be sitting about 7 feet away, but it depends on what i am doing. If i am watching a movie then it will be about 7-10 feet away. If its gaming i will be bit closer i expect. But thanks for the suggestion anyway. I think i will have to go with the Panny then, and probably a larger size than i wanted to get.
Old 02-20-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i ended up picking up the Panasonic TC-P42U1. I could not find a 42 inch G10 for love nor money. Shame as i wanted that bad boy. But i have to admit that the U1 is keeping happy. First thing on the Blu Ray was Terminator 2 followed by Goodfellas. Now its time for a sound system i guess. I used to have a Logitech sound system and might go for one of those. Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One suggestion:

Don't go for a Logitech surround sound system.
Old 02-21-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
One suggestion:

Don't go for a Logitech surround sound system.
Can i ask why you say that? I used to have the Logitech Z5500 and i thought it was pretty cool. I take it you have not had a good time with them. What would you suggest instead?
Old 02-21-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "in a box" systems are all pretty weak in 2 main areas: amps & speakers. Most people like to play things too loud, anyway. Small systems can't handle that. These really aren't designed to work for more than a corner of a room, huddled around a computer.

As I read the glowing reviews of some of these, I wonder what they people would say listening to a serious system that is properly set up, I think most are probably comparing to the speakers inside computer monitors, but hoping to make it sound like an Imax theater. I doubt most of them even know what distortion sounds like, and I guarantee the people that blast their small systems have easily audible distortion. I've had so many friends "show off" their audio to me since they know I am into audio. Invariably they crank up the car or home system so loud it could destroy their speakers in less than a minute, and I rush to tone them down. ("them" means the human)

Of course, price is a factor. I suppose in the

Last edited by Spiky; 02-21-10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice. Any model numbers you can recommend. I would be looking at between $300-$500 i guess. Been spending a lot recently, so would prefer something a bit cheaper. The Logitech system though that i had before (and am considering again) was very good imo. It had nice sound quality, was nicely built and offered a lot of settings. I could never play it that loud as the thingwas a monster for sound. I would have recommended it to anyone, but interesting to read other peoples thoughts.