DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

3D Help

Old 12-15-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
3D Help

Hey guys, I bought a Samsung 3D HDTV over Black Friday and need some help. The set's model number is PN51D490A1D (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...N51D490A1DXZA?) and the problem I'm experiencing is trying to play my copy of Fright Night 3D. I'm using the old 80GB fat model Playstation 3 and whenever I pop the disc in it keeps on telling me that my player or display doesn't support 3D.

I have the PS3 updated to the latest software (4.00) and am using HDMI cable that is 3D compatible. I've also played The Smurfs and I didn't watch the entire movie yet but also put in Conan The Barbarian and they both started up fine. The only way I can get Fright Night to play is by using the automatic display output settings on the PS3 (I have it on custom right now as my set is 720p and for whatever dumb reason when I go to automatic the PS3 highlights all the options and thinks I have 1080p). The problem with this is when the film starts the background images seem blurry and out of focus and text is hard to read (with or without 3D glasses). I'm fairly certain this is the PS3's settings since my set is only 720p and the player is trying to put out 1080p.

Does anyone have any idea if there is anything I can try differently? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 3D Help

The PS3 probably doesn't allow anything other than 1080p for 3D output, so there's something about your television that is telling PS3 it does 1080p when it doesn't? Does it do 1080p under specific settings and circumstances? Perhaps it's in the video settings of the PS3 which has options for 1080p/24Hz and you have that turned on or possibly off? Hard to say without actually trying it out so not sure if this is of any help.
Old 12-15-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your TV accept a 1080p signal? I would think most current ones would, even if they have to convert it to 720.
Old 12-15-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think I figured it out. Adjusted a couple settings and the disc plays now and the 3D effects work pretty decently. The only problem I'm still experiencing is that certain times I still think the picture is blurry and almost out of focus in some scenes (it seems to mostly happen in dark scenes).