Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LCD Wall Mount installation question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

evenutally i would like to put a 50-ish inch LCD panel above my fireplace/mantel. It would be mounted to the wall. the problem i'm seeing is that the studs behind the fire place have one stud in the center and then the other studs are 16 inch away; thus resulting in a mount that is attached to 2 studs being off center.

i was looking at the fancy monoprice mounts and figure it wouldnt be a problem to not have the mount in the center of the tv since the tv could be away from the wall a little ways.

anyone else run into this problem? is there a mount that allows you to mount the tv to be centered on a stud instead of centered in between 2 studs?
Old 01-12-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: LCD Wall Mount installation question

There are mounts that are for single stud mountings; they are like a cd case in size and are two parts, one that mounts to the wall and the other that mounts to the tv and snaps into place. I'm not familiar with monoprice mounts but Nexus does make these types of mounts for 50-61" tvs and O'Bello should as well.
Old 01-12-10, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hit that center stud with the lag bolts and then buy some Hilti toggle bolts from home depot to put on the left and right of the mount. They require a 1/2 inch drill bit but they work fine and will secure the bracket on the wall. Just make sure that the bracket you buy has holes all the way across the back. Some brackets have fixed holes on the outside. You could potentially hang the tv with just the togglers but if you can hit a stud you might as well.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/m...&nodeId=-77338
Old 01-13-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should be able to just use the studs normally. The screws into the studs will not be perfectly centered or symmetrical to the TV back there, but that isn't necessary. A TV that size will cover at least 3 studs if not 4, and most mounts give several options for where the screws can go. Look how many holes you could use in this one:

The wall piece of this bracket doesn't even need to be centered with most LCDs. It's 32" wide, a 50" TV is going to be near to 50" wide, giving you lots of play to have the whole wall bracket off center so the mounting holes will hit studs.
Old 01-13-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

doesnt look like Monoprice has any 'arm' type mounts that use the 32 inch wall plate, only the tilt type like the one pictured above. i'll probably just go with something like that. thanks!
now i just have to save up money and buy a tv, haha
Old 01-13-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 01-14-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dimensions -

Front plate: 32" x 9 3/8"*
Wall plate: 19 11/16" x 11"*

with that one the tv would have to be all the way on one side of the front plate, which i guess shouldnt be a problem.
Old 01-14-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiky
You should be able to just use the studs normally. The screws into the studs will not be perfectly centered or symmetrical to the TV back there, but that isn't necessary. A TV that size will cover at least 3 studs if not 4, and most mounts give several options for where the screws can go. Look how many holes you could use in this one:

The wall piece of this bracket doesn't even need to be centered with most LCDs. It's 32" wide, a 50" TV is going to be near to 50" wide, giving you lots of play to have the whole wall bracket off center so the mounting holes will hit studs.
i used this for my 52" sony lcd without any problems. you may want to purchase lag bolts locally as some have reported (i do not recall where - maybe in the product review section at monoprice) that the heads may shear off during installation.
Old 01-14-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JBR52
hit that center stud with the lag bolts and then buy some Hilti toggle bolts from home depot to put on the left and right of the mount. They require a 1/2 inch drill bit but they work fine and will secure the bracket on the wall. Just make sure that the bracket you buy has holes all the way across the back. Some brackets have fixed holes on the outside. You could potentially hang the tv with just the togglers but if you can hit a stud you might as well.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/m...&nodeId=-77338

I'll agree with everything except the last sentence. A 50" TV I would definately want to be in an least one stud. These things are too heavy to just hang from drywall.
Old 01-14-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Dimensions -

Front plate: 32" x 9 3/8"*
Wall plate: 19 11/16" x 11"*

with that one the tv would have to be all the way on one side of the front plate, which i guess shouldnt be a problem.
Sorry, read that wrong. But the double-arm arrangement looks like it might actually move side to side a bit. Single-arm mounts really have limited swing patterns.
Old 01-17-10, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I'll agree with everything except the last sentence. A 50" TV I would definately want to be in an least one stud. These things are too heavy to just hang from drywall.
50 inch plasmas yes, but I've seen some pretty light LCDs. But you are right, as a rule of thumb one stud at the minimum for large tvs.
Old 04-04-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was searching for something else (low profile center speaker to fit under my tv) when i found this thread.
I finally got my 50 inch flat panel tv (panasonic 50" plasma gt25) last week. It turned out that monoprice.com had a mount witha 32 inch wide base plate. i was able to sink the lag bolts into 3 studs! that mount could hold up a bed, i bet. the 60lb tv was no problem.

anyways, i didnt want to leave this thread hanging
Old 04-04-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever since the industry went to flat panels, and more people have been able to afford 40"+ TVs, I've found it kinda funny how worried some get about holding them up. I'm sure there are horror stories about bad installs, but I've seen so many more from people paranoid about a TV that weighs less than 100#, and they jack up everything with a mount solution capable of holding hundreds of pounds forever.

We mounted an early 42" plasma, admittedly heavier than today's models, in a cement wall at an apartment building I worked for once. The maintenance guy drilled out and anchored 8 bolts into the cement, 3" deep IIRC. 1 would've been enough for the weight, 4 more than enough to make sure it couldn't wiggle. Maybe he just didn't want to work on anything else that day.
Old 04-04-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In case anyone else researches this thread, I have this one with a 50" and mine is a bit off center. I really like it. Just a few more bucks but I read the aluminum was less prone to bending over time. Lighter to install too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 04-04-11, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
evenutally i would like to put a 50-ish inch LCD panel above my fireplace/mantel.
Well first of all, If you're using your fireplace for heat during the winter months, I wouldn't recommend mounting a TV above it at all. That's the worst place to mount a TV if it's near a fireplace, or any other type of heating appliances.
Old 04-05-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slimdude
Well first of all, If you're using your fireplace for heat during the winter months, I wouldn't recommend mounting a TV above it at all. That's the worst place to mount a TV if it's near a fireplace, or any other type of heating appliances.
fireplace hasnt been used in 8 years. it has a "couch" like thing built over it so its blocked off