Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice or review site for LD players?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice or review site for LD players?

Old 07-21-00, 11:13 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've noticed some deals lately on laser discs, since I think most manufactures are going over to DVD's. So I was thinking about picking up a used player and starting to snag some LD's on the cheap. The only problem in my grand plan is that I know very little about LD players. Does anyone know of a good site where I could educate myself? I'm interested in reading some reviews of different players, and getting opinions of what bells and whistles are the most useful. I'd think that a unit that played both sides of the LD would be pretty essential, but I'm not sure what other features to look for.

Also, I've read some things (mainly in e-bay ads) about needing a converter to hook up the AC-3 output from the player to a receiver. Is that true for all players, or just some, or is it a function of the reciever? (For the record, I have a Sony DB-930.)

Thanks for any advice,

-Videophile

Old 07-22-00, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
pioneer made some of the best laser disc players.the pioneer elite brand was great.other than combo players i do not believe anyone manufactures a laser disc player in the us.you will need a rf demodulator to convert the ac3 from the ld player to a readable dolby digital data stream for your receiver.

------------------
my DVD's
Old 07-23-00, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a used Pioneer CLD-D502 on eBay for $193 delivered. It came with about 10 used LDs, including the original Star Wars, the THX version of Return of the Jedi, and Jurassic Park. The unit boasts video output that is almost as good as non-anamorphic DVD; sound output is Dolby Pro-Logic, not AC3.

If I were shopping for a laserdisc player, I'd be looking on eBay for Pioneers, the best-known of the LD brands. Good, serviceable units can be had for under $200, but "snipers" are a problem; you have to be there to bid right at the auction end. If you want a new player, Pioneer makes one called the D406. I think it sells for somewhere in the $400-500 range.

RD

Old 07-23-00, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my DD decoders is a Yamaha which possesses an RF jack on the back of the unit which is why I purchased this bad boy back in
1997...I run my cable from my LD player to my decoder which then feeds into my receiver. The RF demodulator is probably the cheapest route for you to go if you already have a receiver with the decoder.