Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose speakers

What's the difference between Bose Acoustimass Double cube,and single? Which would be better for 5.1 Back surround? I have double for front left & right.Would there be a difference in back with double instead of single cube.

Thanks
Old 12-21-09, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Bose speakers

Old 12-21-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

jerk08, welcome to the forum. The answer to your specific question is that I think the double cube will give you a slightly larger sound field. With the double cubes you have the ability to swivel the direction so that each cube is not facing the exact same direction. From that perspective you'd have a "wider" field and therefore better.

That said, I believe many around here will tell you that Bose is not worth the money you spend on them. Not that they are bad speakers per se, but for the money spent you could get more value. Assuming you have not already purchased and are comfortable providing your budget and/or current components (e.g. receiver - you just mention speakers so you may or may not be looking for a full Bose package) you'd likely get a lot of feedback to help you find something as good for less or better for the same price.
Old 12-21-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^ what Superman07 said.
Old 12-21-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Superman put it mildly.

Sell your Bose on eBay. Take whatever money you can get and buy a system that will sound like it is worth the money you paid for it.

I am sorry, but investing more money into a truly sub-par system is something I am helping you avoid. Get out while you can.
Old 12-21-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure everyone on this forum has read this at least once:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html#intro
Old 12-21-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Ah - on first read it sounded like he was considering buying a set. However, it sounds like he's considering buying more for the rears.

In that case I'd recommending doing research and getting two fronts that match (or as close as you can) to the Bose and then buy a center and sub followed by selling the Bose and getting either, a) matching rears to whatever front/center you purchased, or b) moving the fronts to the back and buying new fronts.

It appears that two Bose double cubes would cost you ~$400. When I was looking for speakers for my parents I had the opportunity to listen to some small Paradigm bookshelf speakers. If you can save/spare the cash I'd recommend you look into those (I believe they were the Monitor line). However, this could be outside your budget - maybe the Atom Monitors.

Other options could be Klipsch or Polk. I have some Klipsh bookshelfs that sound nice, but I think I'll be going for something else to round out my system when I get to that point and I'll move the Klipsh set to become rears for the time being. Others may want to chime in on Polk/others.
Old 12-21-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for Paradigm, Definitive technologies are a little less and close to the same quality
Old 12-21-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

$800 until sold out. Sell the Bose to help pay. These shouldn't even be talked about in the same thread. Esp not the bass.
Old 12-25-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Better system and a true sub.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...WPROD&ProdID=3
Old 12-25-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
for Paradigm, Definitive technologies are a little less and close to the same quality
Close to the same quality? Really? I'd argue that they blow away the Boss...should not even be mentioned in the same discussion.
Old 12-25-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe he meant, 'close to the same quality as Paradigm'.
Old 12-25-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I believe he meant, 'close to the same quality as Paradigm'.
Oh...yea...probably...lol
Old 12-25-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Paradigm's were a better sound and if you are a critical music listener well worth the extra money. For Home Theater use Def Tech's are a great alternative
Old 12-26-09, 12:15 AM

I've been using Bose speakers for years in my home theater. I started with a pair of bookshelf speakers in 1994, bought a pair of Acoustimass 301's in 2000 and another pair of Acoustimass 301's in 2005. I have to say that I enjoyed the sound these speakers produced. However, I can now say that on each occasion, the rooms where I had the home theater set-up were extremely small and what the speakers lacked was made up by the 10" Klipsch subwoofer I've been carting around for 13 years.

Now that I am a home owner, the room with the home theater is significantly larger and frankly, the Bose speakers just weren't getting it done. Sure, they sound good. But until you put some traditionally engineered speakers in the same room, you have no idea what you're missing.

Keep your Bose speakers for a small room. Maybe for stereo sound in your bedroom. But by all means, use almost any other traditionally engineered speaker for your home theater and you'll be completely amazed.

You may want to take a look around at your local electronics stores. I just purchased a pair of Polk RTi 12's @ Fry's on clearance for $399 each. These speakers retailed for $849 each when they debuted in 2004. The RTi's were replaced in 2007 by the RTa's. The speakers are virtually identical. The timbre matches from both speaker lines. The older models have slighlty different cabinets and faces (metal on the RTi's, wood on the RTa's - also, the grills are slightly different). But they can be mixed with there newer counterparts and you would never know the difference (well, your ear wouldn't). I urge you to check your local store because I noticed that Crutchfield also has some of the RTi series for sale @ drastically reduced prices. Perhaps Pol decided to clear out some space or another retailer liquidated their inventory.

Bottom line; In any room of size (15' x 15' or greater) the Bose just don't measure up.
Old 12-26-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue
Sure, they sound good.
That's debatable.
Old 12-26-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue
Bottom line; In any room of size (0' x 0' or greater) the Bose just don't measure up.
Fixed for accuracy.
Old 01-14-11, 05:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Bumping this thread because this isn't really worthy of a new thread.
I'm tempted to toy with Bose's twitter person, but I'm not very creative.

So far:
Me: @BoseService Why don't you have a THX logo on your products?
Bose: Bose has its own proprietary technologies that have been engineered to optimize the audio performance of our systems... We
Bose: ...encourage customers to compare our system to others on the market and make their own decisions about sound quality.

totally avoided the question. This should get interesting...
What should I ask/say next? I don't want to get mean until I've established a little bit of a dialog... so I know they're paying attention.
Old 01-14-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blah...don't waist your time....

Any answer you get has already been given a zillion times and can be found on Google searches.

And despite the fact I would not own Bose, I'm not sure the point (or fun) of purposely baiting someone about their job. What do you expect a Bose employee to say? They are going to give the company line. And he has pretty much answered any question you can ask "we let the customer decide".

(btw, none of my equipment has the THX logo on it and none of it is Bose)
Old 01-14-11, 06:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

True. I kinda thought someone 'important' was behind the account, but you're probably right... it's just some lackey who can only give pre-written answers.
Way to ruin my fun!
Old 01-14-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

"No highs, no lows. Must be a Bose"
Old 01-15-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it's actually right in the midrange where they can't play at all. Pretty questionable.
Old 01-15-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiky
And it's actually right in the midrange where they can't play at all. Pretty questionable.
I thought the midrange in my car sounds ok. But the highs sound very tinny - like 80s wailing guitars or violins - sound terrible.

I thought all highs on speakers sounded like that until I found out about Bose. I had a cheap $300 canadian speaker set for my HT that sounded 100 times better than my car. Especially the highs which don't make my ears bleed like my car's Bose.

I still have to listen to Bose in my car though. Too hard to get it all ripped out / too expensive to bother for a car with 150k on it.
Old 01-20-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

"Bose has its own proprietary technologies that have been engineered to optimize the audio performance of our systems..."

So reply.. Cool so what are your speaker specs or range.

But yea I just had to read this thread for the usual laugh.
Old 01-21-11, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a pair of these...

501 Series III. My father bought them new in 1978. They still work fine enough for me. Plus they are retro chic!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.