Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

opinion needed on yamaha 595 and 795

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

opinion needed on yamaha 595 and 795

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-00, 06:25 PM
PlzLoveMe

what do you guys think of these receivers?

i have a pioneer vsx608 that i bought at best buy, but am going to return due to some malfunctions with the unit. so, i am stuck buying a receiver there.

besides the yamaha, does best buy carry any other brands you would recommend?

edit.
Old 06-11-00, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought the Yamaha RX-V595a a few days ago. I actually got a good deal as it is being discontinued and it's replacement model the 596 which IMO is not as good and $100 more. I actually bought an open box and got it for $270. If you want to buy a 595 you better hurry before they disappear. The 795 has slightly more power, a few more DSP modes and an on screen guide. Those are the main differences. Check the link below for the exact differences. As the 795 is still current and the 595 is being dicontinued the 595 is a better deal as it's price has been reduced. The only problem that I have is that they do not have a display of the volume level. Other then that the 595 I bought is great.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/receiver.htm

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 06-12-00, 09:14 PM
BEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have the identical decoders/processor. The amp is little bigger for 795A w/1 (2?) extra source inputs. (Memory fails me - maybe the 595A has some clip binding posts(?). The 795A has all bananas.)

Both are excellent machines, especially for HT.Either can be a little harsh for music- i.e female vocals. Really needed more range on the tone controls or somekind of EQ.

Crazy Eddie's sold me a 795a for $425. W/pointclick & AMEX discounts (both are gone now), I got it for $320. (I sold it after that.)

Depends what prices you find you. For an extra $50, I'd easily take a 795a over a 595a. An extra $150, would steer me to a 595a.

You might want to think about a Onkyo575. No s-video, but another good performer. Also $300 (refurb) from onecall or soundcity.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited June 12, 2000).]